Expanding Footprint Of Basement Under New Addition

Old 11-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Expanding Footprint Of Basement Under New Addition

I have a potential client who is looking for someone to tear down a small portion of their home (which is currently built on piers) and rebuild it bigger on top of a new foundation and basement. They plan to eventually add a second story to their home, and the piers are insufficient support for such an addition. There is a preexisting basement which has a ceiling height of 6.5'. They want to dig out the basement floor 2' and then connect to the new basement (under the small section which will be torn down and rebuilt with larger footprint.) This would involve removing half of one of the 4 foundation walls and installing a steel header in its place and then widening the footer under the bearing points of this header.

To lower the floor of the current basement I was planning on busting up the current concrete floor, digging out my pedestal footers for my new support columns, then underpinning the foundation walls 4' at a time (I would not underpin the wall section which will be removed to connect to the new basement. After this is done, I will tear down the small pier supported section, start digging the new foundation, then rebuild it.

Does anyone have experience with doing anything of this sort, i.e. connecting a new basement to an old? I have lowered basement floors, but haven't done anything involving basement footprint expansions. Any tips are appreciated.

Last edited by remodel4425; 11-27-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #2

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Expanding Footprint Of Basement Under New Addition

essentially this: http://www.rochmandesignbuild.com/ad...-penberton-dr/ plus lowering a basement floor

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #3

Trade: Landscaping & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 128

Re: Expanding Footprint Of Basement Under New Addition

Sounds like quite the undertaking. Hope you have a team rounded up to assist.

My company's other half specializes in custom home build and home extensions. Will ask them for their input and get back to you!