Cabinet Design For Counter Top

Old 04-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeling GC
Rewards Points: 44

Cabinet Design For Counter Top

Hi guys,

I'm remodeling a bathroom. I had my cabinet maker build a corner linen cabinet and a vanity which attaches to the vanity on the right. The counter top will run into the linen cabinet. I've designed the linen cabinet 2" deeper than the vanity so the front of the counter top flushes out with the front of the cabinet (not the cabinet doors). I've always ordered cabinets this way, whether they're custom or semi-custom from Diamond, DuraSupreme or whatever.

My customer is saying this is an error and needs to be fixed. I've explained the reason for this being done and I'm waiting to hear back from her, but I thought I'd ask you guys to weigh in on whether what I've done is considered proper or not. I'll likely show her your responses. Thanks in advance and happy Easter!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 972

Re: Cabinet Design For Counter Top

She has the money she makes the rules.

Write up a change order that increases the price appropriately and she can decide how right she is.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to sparehair For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (07-28-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 22,184

You could reduce the overhang of the top to meet the face of the linen cab and vanity door, but depends on overall design doesn't always look right IMHO (part of the reason is knobs/pulls will extend beyond top edge), as countertops generally have an overhang for a reason... if she maintains a standard overhang, she will either have the countertop sit proud of the linen cab face if she wants the vanity and linen cab faces to align, or she needs to keep it as is...

If you don't have it already, another option is to do a return on the top where the vanity and linen cab meet if the cabs align... , but all this should have been covered in drawings that she signs off on...

Whatever you/she decides be sure to provide drawings and get her to sign off on it BEFORE implementing the change...

Design has a lot to do with it... Got any pics?...

Last edited by KAP; 04-15-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Self Employed Moron
Rewards Points: 6

What does she insist the correct way is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
TNTSERVICES (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #5

Trade: Cabinet Dealer
Rewards Points: 12

The correct way is what the client wants. The proper and custom way is offset like you have done. I always ask the client before I do this as I've also had to remove refrigerator panels and set them back in flush.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:41 PM   #6
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 2,254

Why would you every order cabinets without betting the layout and elevations approved? SMH
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTSERVICES For This Useful Post:
avenge (05-31-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #7
New Guy

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Renovations
Rewards Points: 152

Hackattack, it's been 4 month since you posting this thread. What was the outcome of that situation? Were you able to persuade the client to do cabinets your way?
Old 07-28-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackattack View Post
Hi guys,

I'm remodeling a bathroom. I had my cabinet maker build a corner linen cabinet and a vanity which attaches to the vanity on the right. The counter top will run into the linen cabinet. I've designed the linen cabinet 2" deeper than the vanity so the front of the counter top flushes out with the front of the cabinet (not the cabinet doors). I've always ordered cabinets this way, whether they're custom or semi-custom from Diamond, DuraSupreme or whatever.

My customer is saying this is an error and needs to be fixed. I've explained the reason for this being done and I'm waiting to hear back from her, but I thought I'd ask you guys to weigh in on whether what I've done is considered proper or not. I'll likely show her your responses. Thanks in advance and happy Easter!

Picture?
Old 07-29-2017, 08:24 AM   #9

Trade: Remodeling GC
Rewards Points: 44

It worked out. After I explained the reasons for doing it this way they understood. They're quite happy with the bathroom and have offered to be enthusiastic references.

We did provide elevations and a plan of the cabinets, but that doesn't mean questions don't get asked. My custom cabinet maker doesn't do CAD, he's old school.

Hopefully the pictures attach correctly. One is of the vanity and linen cab, the others are of the bathroom overall. It's a cramped space so pictures were difficult.
Cabinet design for counter top-img_3523.jpg

Cabinet design for counter top-img_3524.jpg

Cabinet design for counter top-img_3568.jpg

Advertisement

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hackattack For This Useful Post:
B.Johnson (07-29-2017), hdavis (07-29-2017), jlhaslip (07-29-2017), KAP (08-02-2017), rblakes1 (10-22-2017)