Add Corbels To An EXISTING Granite Tile Countertop

Old 06-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #1

Trade: painting
Rewards Points: 10

Add Corbels To An EXISTING Granite Tile Countertop

I ma a painter by trade so this topic is a little out of my reach.. The house I have has a tile (12" x 12" granite) countertop in the kitchen. The old owers in a pinch place plain white UGLY shelf supports under the overhang as "poor mans" corbels... I would like to remove these and insert / add some really nice hardwood corble that I have... The new corels has "keyhole" slots in hte back which are going to be imposible to use considering the countertop is already in place.... DOes anyone have any suggestions on mounting these / how to replace the old... ...

thanks

Jeff

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Add Corbels To An EXISTING Granite Tile Countertop

You need to tell us if they are going to be structural or decorative? If they are just decorative how about some scotch tape?

Old 06-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #3
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

PL adhesive? Long trim screws?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Kitchen & Bath dealer/remodeler
Rewards Points: 250

Does the over hang cantilever over a stud wall or are there cabinets below ?

If cabinets are supporting the counter top you may be able to secure the decorative corbels by adding blocking and screwing from inside the cabinets into the backs of the corbels.

If it is a stud wall you may have to cut an access panel, attach the corbels to some blocking, and then secure the blocking to the studs.
You may have to use some decorative trim around the access panel to finish.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:50 AM   #5
Professional Remodeler

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

I agree with DesPro, try to secure from the inside of the cabinet or the back side of the wall if at all possible.

If you can get to it from the indise of the cabinet, you might have to use a piece of lumber or plywood to stiffen up the side of the cabinet if it is flimsy.

A couple times I have successfully done it from the back side of a wall by locating the stud, drilling a through-hole, and using long lag bolts or timber screws. All I needed on the back side was a 1" hole (or hole big enough for the washer you are using) under the lag bolt/timber screw, countersinking it slightly into the stud. Once installed, a couple coats of EZ-20 and a touch-up with paint and you never knew they were there.