1860s House With Vinyl - Remodeling - Contractor Talk

1860s House With Vinyl

Old 02-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #1

Trade: Landscape
Rewards Points: 6

1860s House With Vinyl

Hey all im residing my 1860s house and im trying to decide what i want to do i figured id get some other opinions.

Heres the deal the house has vinyl siding but has the old wooden clapboard siding underneath. Ive ripped about 1/3 of the vinyl off and discoverd that the wood siding under it is in good shape and im thinking about ditching the vynal all together. Now i have no issues with vinyl but i take issue with this installation, it being installed over the clapboard creates a wall void and in the section i took down i found multiple paper wasp nests, i also feel like the house is hiddin and wont be able to spot other potential problems under the vynal in the future.

So i guess im asking what would you guys do? Scrape and paint or put up new vinyl? Ive included a couple pics

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,234

Re: 1860s House With Vinyl

That wood siding looks like a mess.

In your situation, Id probably fan fold and put new vinyl up.

Advertisement

greg24k (02-25-2018), Metheds21 (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #3
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 4,704

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsol View Post
That wood siding looks like a mess.

In your situation, Id probably fan fold and put new vinyl up.
I don't think it looks that bad. No obvious patches or door/window fill ins.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
Metheds21 (02-24-2018)

Old 02-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,238

Bad thing is that old of a house more then likely has lead paint on it , so then you have that to deal with. As a home owner you can get away with it, but do you want all that mess around your house in the dirt. All the time of sanding it and painting so you can do it again a few years down the road, not me would cover it with something .
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
Metheds21 (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 252

Lead paint chips make the plants grow better.
The Following User Says Thank You to going_commando For This Useful Post:
Metheds21 (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #6

Ouch ya its lead paint for sure but im not scared and ya the siding is full of nails and staples from the vinyl job but the wood seems solid no cracks or lifting or rot.
I dunno seems like a waste to rip perfectly good siding off just cause i dont want to paint...is going back over it with vinyl acceptable? I wouldnt know how to keep the fing paper wasps out of the void is the thing
Old 02-24-2018, 07:06 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,976

It depends if this is your long term house and your budget. If you arnt that tide to the house and don't have a large budget than vinyl is the go to. If you are staying for a long time and have a good budget it might be worth buying a little nicer material. Either way I would install new siding before restoring the old. Looks like a good house for a lift as well. I can install as more siding by myself with a lift than I can off planks with another guy. Not to mentions its less frustrating and a lot safer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrankSmith For This Useful Post:
Metheds21 (02-24-2018), Randy Bush (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 07:20 PM   #8

It seems most people would go vinyl, im kinda surprised i thought at least some would hate it. Its kinda looked down on around here we even have some homeowners assc with ordinances against it. That being said keep the opinions coming i have no idea what i want to do yet.

And how would you guys do the install over the wood siding? Or strip off the clapboard and install vinyl against the sheathing?

P.s this is my long term house i bought it for the land knowing the house needed a bit of work but ive got waterfrontage and a dock so its worth it to me. My budget is about 10k max
Old 02-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSmith View Post
It depends if this is your long term house and your budget. If you arnt that tide to the house and don't have a large budget than vinyl is the go to. If you are staying for a long time and have a good budget it might be worth buying a little nicer material. Either way I would install new siding before restoring the old. Looks like a good house for a lift as well. I can install as more siding by myself with a lift than I can off planks with another guy. Not to mentions its less frustrating and a lot safer.
You have that right . I use mine anywhere I can get it in to work too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
FrankSmith (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #10
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

I dislike the look of vinyl so if it was my house I would doctor up the wood siding one side at a time and paint it. If it's original that's saying something for the wood. I'd invest in an airless if I didn't have one.
The Following User Says Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
hdavis (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #11
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,516

Most likely the house built in that time used "Brick Nogging" and clapboard siding went right over it and nailed into studs and there is no insulation. I did a whole house renovation with a rear addition which was built about the same time in the 1890's it had the same thing, clapboard siding and aluminum siding over it only they used nailing strips 16"OC over clapboard. I used rigid foam insulation over the clapboard and the house looked awesome after it was completed not to mention had some insulation which helped a lot.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #12
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 1,814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metheds21 View Post
...My budget is about 10k max
Box of matches and some ground round then.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,169

Depends on how much time you want to spend on it.

I'd tend to rehab the wood siding. Chances are the tar paper under the clapboards is gone. If you get into that, you're pulling the clapboards, so just take the paint off the edge, and flip them over when you reinstall so you have all bare wood to paint.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:49 PM   #14
Pro

10K is plenty for equipment and materials. 4x 24' ladders, electric power washer, spray rig, filler, caulk, paint. Easily under 5K.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #15
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 4,786

If you can put 200 hours of your time into it, you can probably refurb it beautifully on a low budget. I never liked the look of vinyl at all. So this would be my vote.
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
hdavis (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,898

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
10K is plenty for equipment and materials. 4x 24' ladders, electric power washer, spray rig, filler, caulk, paint. Easily under 5K.
Pricing must be a lot different in Maine, or you are referring to that gable end of the house only?
Old 02-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metheds21 View Post
It seems most people would go vinyl, im kinda surprised i thought at least some would hate it. Its kinda looked down on around here we even have some homeowners assc with ordinances against it. That being said keep the opinions coming i have no idea what i want to do yet.

And how would you guys do the install over the wood siding? Or strip off the clapboard and install vinyl against the sheathing?

P.s this is my long term house i bought it for the land knowing the house needed a bit of work but ive got waterfrontage and a dock so its worth it to me. My budget is about 10k max
What part of the country are you in? I personally hate vinyl siding for a lot of reasons. But it seems to be a very popular option in other parts of the country. Especially the wetter parts. Around here, it's not allowed on new construction, period. The sun and the wind destroy it pretty quickly. Not to mention the reflection off of windows melting their neighbor's siding.

My main reason for hating it, is just like you said. There are a million places for the bugs build their nests.

There are a lot of options for vinyl though, and if you go that route, at least go up the quality scale a notch or two, avoid the cheapest product. Also, look up what fanfold is. Someone mentioned it earlier, but it sounds like you're not familiar with it.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettusbee View Post
Pricing must be a lot different in Maine, or you are referring to that gable end of the house only?
I'm guessing whole house size based on what I see. His labor is free in this equation. That gable end wouldn't take me 20 hours to clean, fill, caulk, final scrape, and paint 2 coats, and That's working off of ladders.

I'm putting this in the 140 hour ball park.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
I'm guessing whole house size based on what I see. His labor is free in this equation. That gable end wouldn't take me 20 hours to clean, fill, caulk, final scrape, and paint 2 coats, and That's working off of ladders.

I'm putting this in the 140 hour ball park.
Oh, ok. I didn't read it correctly. I though you were referring to putting up new siding.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Lettusbee For This Useful Post:
hdavis (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #20
Pro

Fanfold is normally used on top of the old clapboard, serves a number of purposes. Air seals older houses and provides a flat surface for the new siding. While I know it is not for every part of the country, a good steel job is hard to beat. Can last a long time ,40 -50 yrs or more. In 20 yrs of residing house have only done 3 vinyl jobs. Would be hard pressed to use it.

Advertisement