Windows 10 - Bite Me !!!

Old 12-14-2017, 05:32 AM   #1
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 7,202

Windows 10 - Bite Me !!!

2 nights ago, came over to the laptop to catch up on Facebook and other social media gossip sites like CT.

It has that damned spinning circle of marbles going with a warning to DO NOT TURN OFF, update in progress, 0% completed.

3 hours later, it reboots and states "update ha failed, please wait while we restore you system - and get this it literally, actually the fck has this text symbol:

I'm going- oh chit.

Miracle of miracle, Windows 10 manages to reboot finally, after another HOUR.

So now I'm pissed. Windows 10 Home - can't turn off updates.
Windows 10 Pro - can - but you can't upgrade to Pro when you have an OEM edition of Home installed - must do a wipe/fresh install - no I'm not going to give up all that time to do this. Unless:

Windows 7 was wicked fast, never gave me chit.

So now I've got HP OEM Windows 7 Pro SP1.

Is anyone going to stop me from dual partitioning? I'm going to pull the trigger on something. Living this way is madness.

What about Linux? A live distro that works & feels like Windows 7?
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 - Bite Me !!!-fjpby1z.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #2
This space for lease

Trade: Tool jocky
Rewards Points: 1,936

Re: Windows 10 - Bite Me !!!

I never went past XP, I got tired of keeping it working. Did many reinstalls but XP was pretty good, it's just that the registry accumulates massive amounts of garbage. I hear a lot of complaints about W10 especially the update deal.

I have used numerous linux distros and settled on Mint. There's different flavors for a desktop but Cinnamon seems the best and where their focus is. There isn't a lot of difference in use really. You click this that drag poke just like windows.

Hardware wise it recognizes everything I've plugged into it, Android tablet, drawing tablets, phone, etc. I use the file manager to move files to and from the phone, it's easier. I imagine windows does that too.

There is no registry to swell up or corrupt on you. All programs run on top of the kernel so even large programs install quickly. Then you just run them, no set up. They uninstall almost instantly and leave nothing behind.

Linux sucks for games though, although Steam solves that somewhat, but limited in selection for Linux. I haven't looked into it for a long while though.

Updates are when you want and what you want. I usually do them all and on this ancient laptop (Vista vintage) it takes maybe 10 minutes at the largest, which typically includes one of the two browsers. Plus you can use the computer when it's doing it. Seldom needs to reboot, even with a kernel update.

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
John the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
I never went past XP, I got tired of keeping it working. Did many reinstalls but XP was pretty good, it's just that the registry accumulates massive amounts of garbage. I hear a lot of complaints about W10 especially the update deal.

I have used numerous linux distros and settled on Mint. There's different flavors for a desktop but Cinnamon seems the best and where their focus is. There isn't a lot of difference in use really. You click this that drag poke just like windows.

Hardware wise it recognizes everything I've plugged into it, Android tablet, drawing tablets, phone, etc. I use the file manager to move files to and from the phone, it's easier. I imagine windows does that too.

There is no registry to swell up or corrupt on you. All programs run on top of the kernel so even large programs install quickly. Then you just run them, no set up. They uninstall almost instantly and leave nothing behind.

Linux sucks for games though, although Steam solves that somewhat, but limited in selection for Linux. I haven't looked into it for a long while though.

Updates are when you want and what you want. I usually do them all and on this ancient laptop (Vista vintage) it takes maybe 10 minutes at the largest, which typically includes one of the two browsers. Plus you can use the computer when it's doing it. Seldom needs to reboot, even with a kernel update.
Thanks. Will go look for Mint/Cinnamon.

The idea of being in the middle of something and this happening is beyond rational.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
This space for lease

Download and burn to a dvd as an iso image. Makes it bootable. Then you can run it, although slowly. And gives the option to install from the desktop. If you do, I would recommend selecting the update on install option.

Last edited by RangoWA; 12-14-2017 at 07:33 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #5
This space for lease

I said iso file, I meant iso image.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:35 AM   #6
John the Builder

Quote:
Download and burn to a dvd as an iso file. Makes it bootable. Then you can run it, although slowly. And gives the option to install from the desktop. If you do, I would recommend selecting the update on install option.
My intent is to run it live, see if I can adapt.
Downloading 18.2 now.

Which anti-virus do you recommend? (lol) I swear the a/v & "HP Assistant" is what sucks the life out of this machine.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:03 AM   #7
This space for lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
My intent is to run it live, see if I can adapt.
Downloading 18.2 now.

Which anti-virus do you recommend? (lol) I swear the a/v & "HP Assistant" is what sucks the life out of this machine.
I've never used an A/V program on any of the distros. I'm not sure they have any these days. They used to have Clam but I never tried it.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #8
John the Builder

Quote:
I've never used an A/V program on any of the distros. I'm not sure they have any these days. They used to have Clam but I never tried it.
Yeah, I was kidding. That's one of the strong points of Linux above all else - its not bothered by malware.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #9
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Self Employed Moron
Rewards Points: 2,190

And that's why I got Win7 Pro with my new laptop. Updates are turned off. When I want them, I'll update manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (12-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 596

I've been playing with this thing for the last month or so; came with Win 10 Pro pre-installed. You can turn off some of the updates, but some will happen no matter what you do unless you cut off internet access. It's almost ridiculous how often that thing phones home.

I'm actually kind of liking Win 10 after getting all of the options set the way I want (killed Cortana right out of the box). Still not ready to switch over to it as my main machine though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 - Bite Me !!!-pc.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
superseal (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #11
This space for lease

I almost went the mini route when I built my htpc. Parts were too tiny and they cost more so I went up a size.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #12
John the Builder

This is no BS:

As I posted the last message, W10 said my file manager stopped responding - end program.

Then it rebooted. Said "instaling updates". This apparently the failed update from before.

At 10:30 AM, it booted to the desktop said "Creators Update".

Yeah, now chrome barely runs, and my file manager is trashed.

I'm using the "Creators" name in vain on this happy horsechit.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 786

HP Computers - not the consumer junk - actual Computers, still mostly ship with Windows 7 Pro. We are using HP Workstations for all but the lightest office use and they have only about 10% of the models shipping with Win10. That is still far higher than the maximum percentage that ever shipped with Win8.
I just added two more Z2 Gen 3 workstations. My new personal unit is item Z2D61UT, which is E3-1245v5 16Gb 512Gb Z-Turbo NVidia M620 which will run 4 monitors. $1300. I added an additional 5Tb HD for local pics and videos.
Windows 10 is a joke for a real business.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 - Bite Me !!!-img_1131.jpg  
Old 12-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #14
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 850

Windows 10 works fine for me.

No problems so far.

I like it.

Andy.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
superseal (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #15
John the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post
Windows 10 works fine for me.

No problems so far.

I like it.

Andy.
When it was brand new, W10 was... OK.

Home Edition is just plain bad - no control over what happens.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 6,922

Never use the Home Edition of any system.

I haven't had any trouble with 10 either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2017, 07:37 PM   #17
This space for lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB View Post
HP Computers - not the consumer junk - actual Computers, still mostly ship with Windows 7 Pro. We are using HP Workstations for all but the lightest office use and they have only about 10% of the models shipping with Win10. That is still far higher than the maximum percentage that ever shipped with Win8.
I just added two more Z2 Gen 3 workstations. My new personal unit is item Z2D61UT, which is E3-1245v5 16Gb 512Gb Z-Turbo NVidia M620 which will run 4 monitors. $1300. I added an additional 5Tb HD for local pics and videos.
Windows 10 is a joke for a real business.
What's the difference between consumer and actual computers? Video cards can be added if you need four monitors. Linux has has multiple workspaces for many years, with two monitors I had eight virtual monitors with open programs.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #18
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 596

Yeah, you can pay a premium for high grade hardware, but the majority of "real businesses" run with the same stuff or actually lower grade than the youngsters' gaming machines.

Where the rubber meets the road is in the software. In that sense, Win 10 is a fail with its arbitrary updates that despite the best intentions can easily break something that worked perfectly in a previous iteration.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,419

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Yeah, I was kidding. That's one of the strong points of Linux above all else - its not bothered by malware.

Mint has vulnerabilities.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:38 AM   #20
John the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Mint has vulnerabilities.
Are those vulnerabilities being exploited?

The effort for malware is towards Windows, and as time goes on, Apple.

Advertisement