Trying Out "MyOnlineToolbox.com"

Old 12-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Contractor/ Business Owner/ Entrepreneur
Rewards Points: 506

Trying Out "MyOnlineToolbox.com"

Mid January the new version of MyOnlineToolbox.com is supposed to come out. There are a couple of videos about it on YouTube. Has anyone else been checking this out?

I signed up but will wait for the new version in January before entering my data. I think this is really going to take off in a big way.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Trying Out "MyOnlineToolbox.com"

I saw that a few weeks ago, and it looks pretty promising. I was going for the 2 month trial. I have been to your website Jesse and you are pretty much ahead of most guys as far as internet savvy. My question to you is this, you and I and a bunch of other people here already have a lot of this stuff, so Online toolbox is all the stuff we have and a little more but its server based. Right now I have server based email and fax. What is the thing you like most about this? I have to ad that most contractor services offered on the internet fail to deliver.

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Pro

I have been using Google Docs, Calender and Email for quite a while and am definitely hooked on server based programs that can share data with others instantly.

After signing up I played around with the Tool Box a little and was not impressed. Then I talked to them and found out this is just the first stage to work out the bugs and they would not charge until the next version comes out in January.

From what I understand the estimate request page on my web site will be tied directly into the Tool Box and all of the information typed in will go straight into the program for work orders, proposals, invoices etc. For repeat clients they should just have to enter their name or address or phone number and the form will know if they are existing clients and fill in the rest -(except the actual work requested)

Clients with maintenance agreements (or anyone else) can just fill out the work order Online instead of calling, faxing or emailing. The name, address, contact, work info etc. are all in the system and will never have to be re-typed or cut and pasted as I do now.

I believe that this new tool will make this a very good year for us.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler

I'll be watching this service. At the moment, I have CRM, but I don't use it (Customer Relations Management).. The problem for me is; all these programs but they are all from different sources. I'm past the worst of the tech learning curve but this stuff still takes a lot of time for me.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD

I agree server base/online software will be the way to go. I said it before that i think all businesses will eventually need to be atleast partly internet based more and more as we progress. I also think early adopters will have an advantage. I see it now with some of my older subs or employees that walk in the office and see all the hardware and they look around like they walked in the twilight zone.

I am on vacation now sitting in my room drinking coffee, using my laptop and sprint wireless card posting on a online forum 500 miles away from desk. Confirmed appliances where delivered to a job. Tracking my christmas deliveries, while checking my online banking. Good or bad its only going to move further along in this direction. I just want to be prepared and ahead of the curve.

I am keeping my eye on myonline toolbox as well, I think the concept is solid with a few more improvements i will probably jump on board. i see it being a great tool for sub, vendor and customer management and good place to store centralized documents

America what a country

Old 12-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage
Rewards Points: 502

It's a good idea yes, but the problems I see with them is what happens when the company gets bought? Will their service shut down, get mangled into something else or will the subscription fees change?

The same thing happens with small business accounting software. Just look at Simply Accounting, which has had at least 3 or 4 owners in the last dozen years, and every time it changes, they increase the upgrade fees. But at least with that you can install it and run it on your own hardware and it will last as long as that hardware will last.

Many software startups these days are based around a good idea, implement it, and then wait for someone to come along and buy them.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingHomes View Post
It's a good idea yes, but the problems I see with them is what happens when the company gets bought? Will their service shut down, get mangled into something else or will the subscription fees change?

The same thing happens with small business accounting software. Just look at Simply Accounting, which has had at least 3 or 4 owners in the last dozen years, and every time it changes, they increase the upgrade fees. But at least with that you can install it and run it on your own hardware and it will last as long as that hardware will last.

Many software startups these days are based around a good idea, implement it, and then wait for someone to come along and buy them.
I had the same worries as you but they were directed at Foot Bridge Media when I had them design, host and run my web site - but it has been one of our best business decisions yet.

In my own situation the benefits FAR out way the risks. Yes I may eventually get burned but my gut tells me with this product I wont. We have to keep researching and trying new things if we are going to grow and prosper.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
Professional Instigator

Jesse

how do you like foot bridge media??

I looked at there site today. I want to start a new kitchen and bath website. What all do they offer and what are ball park costs?

Old 12-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,210

Sounds interesting. It would be nice to see a demo of it. I am waiting to demo something from these folks http://www.facilityvision.com/

Right now it's $500/month, but they will be offering a new package soon for around $250/month. It's designed specifically for facility/retail maintenance vendors and clients.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
Jesse

how do you like foot bridge media??

I looked at there site today. I want to start a new kitchen and bath website. What all do they offer and what are ball park costs?
They are not perfect and you will have to come up with some of the content but it was a great investment and I like them a lot. As far as what they offer and what it costs - Aaron O'Hanlon - aaron@footbridgemedia.com - would be the best sorurce of that info. If you do a search for Foot Bridge Media on here there are also quite a few posts were we discussed them also.

Good luck,
Jesse
Old 12-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
Sounds interesting. It would be nice to see a demo of it. I am waiting to demo something from these folks http://www.facilityvision.com/

Right now it's $500/month, but they will be offering a new package soon for around $250/month. It's designed specifically for facility/retail maintenance vendors and clients.
Thanks for the link. I have saved it and will check it out later today for new ideas. It looks like they are in tight with PRSM which explains alot.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,210

Ya I found them through a link about the PRSM trade show I think. I was thinking about subscribing to the PRSM magazine. Do you get it? Did you join PRSM? I think I recall you mentioning it once...

That website I linked doesn't contain much info. I couldn't even see a screen shot anymore. I spoke with a rep from the company a few weeks back. Apparently they started out selling there idea to the retail chains and found the bureaucracy of the big organizations to difficult to deal with. He said trying to get them to implement anything was a huge struggle. I was pretty surprised when he told me how 'old school' they could be.

So I think they decided to change tacts and started pitching their service to vendors, with better success apparently.

If I could have a web link that my client's could bookmark and just click to check status or send me a PO, that would be a very nice selling tool for me.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:23 AM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Ya I found them through a link about the PRSM trade show I think. I was thinking about subscribing to the PRSM magazine. Do you get it? Did you join PRSM? I think I recall you mentioning it once...
Hey Chris,

Thank you for reminding me about PRSM...... I had put it off and then forgot about it. I went ahead and signed up online Christmas Day after reading your post. This is going to be a very good upcoming year.

Thanks again,
Jesse
Old 12-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #14
Professional Instigator

I had those same thoughs about the server software and I took a gamble on it in 2004. My current software is sever based. It can how ever run as a single workstation and be functional if the company goes belly up or server goes off line. Its a hard call but so far I have not had any bad luck. I know it makes my work alot easier being able to access the data anytime anywhere. I am on vaction now in the florida keys and still keeping track of whats happening once a day. There is nothing like it. I honestly think server base is the future.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:12 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
If I could have a web link that my client's could bookmark and just click to check status or send me a PO, that would be a very nice selling tool for me.

Hey Chris,

This was a huge selling point for me also and it definately has that. Aaon will be installing the service request page to my web site which ties directly into the system. It goes so far beyond that though you will just shake your head in wonder when you see it

I was fortunate enough to have a sneak peak of the next stage, which is to be released middle January, and to offer a little feedback to Brian and Adam. It makes my process now look like it was developed by Fred Flinstone
Old 12-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
I know it makes my work alot easier being able to access the data anytime anywhere. I am on vaction now in the Florida keys and still keeping track of whats happening once a day. There is nothing like it. I honestly think server base is the future.
Server based will definitely be the future as younger contractors come up through the ranks. They won't put up with anything less and with the technology we have why should they I guess.

Your right it is a secure and comforting feeling to be on vacation and still in the loop. I used Gmail and QB Online in Jamaica earlier in this year which was real nice but I will try this new system out while down in Puerto Vallarta Mexico next week.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #17
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Pergolas & Pavilions
Rewards Points: 1,452

Has the new version come out?
Old 02-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #18
Professional Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Has the new version come out?

Has anyone seem or heard about the new version of myonlinetoolbox?????????

Old 02-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #19
Pro

I don't think the new version it is ready yet - but was told the upgrades are almost finished (there were quite a few suggestions that they implemented) I am looking forward to getting my team switched over to it before the busy season hits.

If Sprint would get their act together and get the "high speed internet towers" in place I would be a happy man. They told me that they were schedualed last June when I bought my internet cards and that my internet would be "Blazing Fast" just as soon as the towers were here.....that was almost 8 moths ago.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #20
Professional Instigator

Interested to see what changes they made

Advertisement