Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Real Time Rendering

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Kent Whitten 
#1 ·
This is nothing new by any means. I have looked into this for years and the implications for our industry is massive, yet hardly anyone uses it. Why? Mainly because it requires a fairly good computer, with an emphasis on either a great graphics card, great multi CPU's, render farms, or all of the above to get efficient and productive means out of it. It usually is not portable.

Also, depending on the program you choose, it can also be fairly time consuming to learn this and to comprehend how you can use this to your advantage to close the deal.

This means is completely irrelevant to something that is an inexpensive job. I can see it only for design purposes with a client who can't seem to make up their damn mind. A large home or big remodel would be in the scope. It is definitely for the "Wow!" of it, but that "wow" usually ends up being a sale. IMO, if you need the edge over your competition to get the job, I feel this would give you the job every time.

Now the reason I'm doing this now is that a particular company, the Chaos Group, has a new product called VRay-RT. The original VRay is undoubtedly the best rendering program out there on the market. In the last few years a few others have popped up that are equally eye popping.

They have now released a real time rendering program which means you can get almost photo quality rendering in real time rather than waiting for the rendering to happen. You move the view around and a few seconds, it renders.

Maybe it's just me that's getting overly excited about this, but I can see definite advantages to using this over not using it.

Here are some videos of the VRay-RT and some other programs to show what can be possible if it is implemented. Vray-RT is a plug in for 3DS Max. A quite expensive program.

And for some eye candy, a little example of what proper rendering software can do for you.

From VisMasters.com

Attachments

See less See more
3 1
#4 ·
Lone.. I have issues with helping anyone visualize a project when I haven't been named the contractor for the job. I have (in the earlier days of being self employeed) helped H/O's figure out what they wanted and then either A.) they wouldn't call me back when left messages.. or B.) they would tell me they found someone else after spending SERIOUS time with them consulting... or C.) tried to do it on their own.

Tech is great, and programs are great.. but it is such a weird market now. Unless you are in the consulting biz.. you could just be shooting yourself in the foot. That is of course my own personal experience with the people in my area..

#5 ·
I didn't mean to imply to do things for free. There is a process to get to this point I felt was unnecessary to incllude here since it would make a long post even longer.

That is why I suggested it is not for the small jobs though that is relative to everyones POV. This is done all the time in architectural offices for proposals. You see the renderings in newspapers for developments.

This is merely a tool just as a hammer is. It is up to you to decide if it is worth it for your company to pursue. It is something that fascinates me as I'm sure it will for some others who see it as a benefit to their company.

Rendering happens daily. Real time rendering is not as mainstream. If one is unsure of their ability to close the deal, I would not even bother.
Scorpio, I have not looked into it completely but from what I can tell, it is a module add on to VRay. So for this setup one would need Max, VRay, and the RT add on. Probably around 6K total. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.