OSX Whats The Big Deal! - Technology - Contractor Talk

OSX Whats The Big Deal!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

OSX Whats The Big Deal!

Well i thought i would put OSX Lion on my PC as i needed the Apple OS to use the jailbreak that just come out for the A5 apple devices and i have been using it for the last couple of days and i dont get the hype? people really go out and buy Apple Hardware to Run this OS system What exactly are you converts from Windows to OSX finding thats so great about Apple OS's? Im gonna leave both systems running still as i have already paid for it so i wanna get into using it some more and try and get a better feel for why all the hype.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things!!!

Trade: Paint and Floor Covering Retailer
Rewards Points: 1,135

Re: OSX Whats The Big Deal!

I did the same thing. I installed Snow Leopard on a PC (hackintosh) and ran it for a few month. I never understood the hype either. The OS seems to fight anything you want to do that is outside of the basics. I didn't find things very intuitive either. Yes there is a learning curve to understand the way that OSX does certain things but other things seem flat our stupid. If I close a program I expect it to be closed. Instead I have to Quit the program because using the normal close function like the X in the corner doesn't really close it. It just seems like an odd way to do things. There were a lot of other issues I had with it but it's been a while and I don't recall all of them. I ditched OSX and am now dual booting Win7 and Ubuntu on this machine. Ubuntu and OSX come from the same Unix roots but Linux is infinitely more usable than OSX to me.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to gideond For This Useful Post:
smalpierre (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
The Dude

Trade: home improvement
Rewards Points: 1,946

I'll take Ubuntu over OSX any day of the week. The Mac's got their reputation from back when they were running motorola processors that did twice the actual work per clock cycle, used SCSI interface which was expensive - Intel based servers used it, but PC's used PCI, and Photoshop and other creative software was built for Mac first, and optimized for that platform.

Now Macs use the same hardware, the OS is nothing special - basically a locked down Linux flavor, and creative software isn't made with the "serious users all have Macs" mentality. People still use the "Macs are better for creative" arguments even though that hasn't been true in a LONG time. Oh, and don't forget that the best graphics cards work just dandy on Ubuntu as well. No more graphics king status!

Now there is one area where there isn't much for open source software, and that's CAD software - but guess what? A lot of that is Windows ONLY!!! So Mac users are out. You can't run Autocad, or Revit, OR Chief Architect on Mac so you're stuck with a VM, or multi boot machine. IMHO, the VM on Mac is much slower and doesn't emulate nearly as well as the ones available for Ubuntu - and there are a few. It comes preinstalled with one I think, or you can use VMWare, or a number of others. Personally I'd stack up a Linux box running a VM with a Windows install running Autocad over a Mac box any day.

1. It's bad to the bone. Fast and efficient. We got two rack mount servers that are identical. We installed Windows on one, Ubuntu on the other. The Ubuntu one runs quiet, cool, and FAST! The Windows one runs hot, fans stay going full tilt (loud) ... That's not saying anything against OSX, but says something for Ubuntu.

2. Its an enterprise class production stable server platform.

3. It's FREE!!!

4. It's got tons of applications - a lot of them are open source, and free.

5. It's easy to run a virtual machine - and run a virtual instance of whatever you want on it for apps that are OS specific. Lets say I want to run a program that is Windows only - I'll install Windows (or OSX :P) on a virtual machine, and run it without issues.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life
Rewards Points: 2,000

Has anyone tried wine to run AutoCad?

Currently I am using LibreCad. It's alright but doesn't have DWG libraries.

I tried Draft Sight the other day. Had to force architecture because it's a 32 bit program. It also requires some outdated dependencies. When forced it worked with the newer versions. But I was getting warnings. I got a suggestion to run a command in a terminal. I thought the command would fix those issues. Instead it decided to unintall the program. I should of read the warning better when it ask for a y/n.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
CAD Services

Trade: So done with this place...
Rewards Points: 144

I have AutoCad 2007 on a PC desktop, and through Parallels on an iMac and MacBook Pro. All three work great except the mouse is a bit too sensitive when scrolling in the macs in AutoCad (like the zoom in/out is insane if you're not careful) I often drag a finger on the mac magic mouse and the drawing either zooms in or out to maximum.

Other than that, no problems.

What's with WIN 7 waiting until you want to shutdown and go home that it decides it needs to install a bunch of updates? I'm sure I can change that setting, but what a pain at 4pm when you want to leave work.

Y'all sound like you enjoy the platforms you're on.

So am I.

Last edited by wallmaxx; 01-22-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 2,457

You can change the time it wants to update. You can also deny the request and do it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
wallmaxx (01-22-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaFramer View Post
Has anyone tried wine to run AutoCad?

Currently I am using LibreCad. It's alright but doesn't have DWG libraries.

I tried Draft Sight the other day. Had to force architecture because it's a 32 bit program. It also requires some outdated dependencies. When forced it worked with the newer versions. But I was getting warnings. I got a suggestion to run a command in a terminal. I thought the command would fix those issues. Instead it decided to unintall the program. I should of read the warning better when it ask for a y/n.
Try VMWare
Old 01-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaxx View Post
I have AutoCad 2007 on a PC desktop, and through Parallels on an iMac and MacBook Pro. All three work great except the mouse is a bit too sensitive when scrolling in the macs in AutoCad (like the zoom in/out is insane if you're not careful) I often drag a finger on the mac magic mouse and the drawing either zooms in or out to maximum.

Other than that, no problems.

What's with WIN 7 waiting until you want to shutdown and go home that it decides it needs to install a bunch of updates? I'm sure I can change that setting, but what a pain at 4pm when you want to leave work.

Y'all sound like you enjoy the platforms you're on.

So am I.
Parallels sucks for anything but the most basic functionality. My cousin - a tech guy at fed-ex who is far from tech dumb - loves his Macs, and runs Parallels as a VM. He hasn't had any serious issues with it, but then again, he doesn't use it for anything really heavy duty.

Windows 7 ... HAH! Windows Vista and 7 are one of the main reasons I went back to Linux

edit: my cousin has had no problems getting user level software going on Parallels. I prefer VMWare because I have been involved in heavy multi-platform testing of server software and it's the fire. You aren't likely to use the features I need. Still, I've found that it's more flawless, so I naturally gravitate toward it even for the simplest tasks.

Kind of like some guys will break out the Festool to do some standard base / shoe / casings in a tract home, because they have it, are used to it, and it seems silly to use a Rigid when you have a Festool

Last edited by smalpierre; 01-23-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #9
CAD Services

http://www.infoworld.com/d/virtualiz...73313?page=0,0

They seem to be pretty close.

I'll stick with Parallels. It runs AutoCad and Solidbuilder just fine.

Mac virtualization face-off: VMware Fusion 4 vs. Parallels Desktop 7

September 21, 2011

Neither offer major improvements for Windows users, but they add welcome support for Mac OS X Lion virtual machines

Follow @MobileGalen
Print | 9 Comments
In the Mac-based desktop virtualization world, there are two significant choices: Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion. Both have been updated to take advantage of Mac OS X Lion. In addition to supporting Lion as a host, both take advantage of Apple's change in policy that lets users run the desktop version of Mac OS X Lion in virtual machines. Prior to Lion, Apple restricted such usage to Mac OS X Server. Both Parallels and Fusion of course run various versions of Windows and Linux, their primary use case.

As our review of Parallels Desktop 7 noted, there's not much compellingly new to that product since its last update, a year earlier. Does VMware Fusion 4.01 up the ante in any significant way? Not really. Just as Parallels Desktop 6 runs fine on Mac OS X Lion, so does VMware Fusion 3.1; the main reason to upgrade to Fusion 4.01 is to gain the ability to run Mac desktop VMs, a handy feature if you're a Mac developer or tester.

[ See InfoWorld's slideshow tour of Mac OS X Lion's top 20 features. | Learn why IT won't like Mac OS X Lion Server. | Keep up with key Mac OS X, iOS, and other Apple technologies with the Technology: Apple newsletter. ]

I disliked the difficulty of installing Mac OS X Lion in Parallels Desktop 7; the software assumes you don't have a local copy and thus defaults to re-downloading the whole 4GB image file. If you've already downloaded the Lion installer image, Parallels makes you jump through arcane hoops to use it. That's not the case with Fusion 4.01, which works with the Install Mac OS X Lion.app installer file just as easily as it does with a Windows or Linux .iso file -- that is, easily. Ironically, what Fusion won't do is connect you to the Mac App Store to download a fresh copy of the installer, as Parallels Desktop does. You need to get it yourself, which is not at all difficult. But it shows that Parallels assumed newbie users, whereas VMware assumed more technical Mac users.

Like Parallels Desktop, Fusion can't install Mac OS X from an existing partition, a Time Machine backup, or a disk image. And like Parallels Desktop, Fusion doesn't see FireWire or Thunderbolt drives, so once you're running the Mac installer or Lion itself in a VM, you can't use the migration tools that Apple provides for such transfers. Because most FireWire and Thunderbolt drives also have USB ports, you can switch buses for that migration, then go back to the speedier bus for everyday operations. Just note this means you can't back up your Mac VM separately via Time Machine if you don't have a USB drive for that purpose.

So, VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop are equivalent in their Mac VM support, save for their installation differences.

See more Virtual Desktop
Page 2 of 2

September 21, 2011

Neither offer major improvements for Windows users, but they add welcome support for Mac OS X Lion virtual machines

Follow @MobileGalen
Print | 9 Comments
They're also close in their performance, though Parallels Desktop 7 outscores Fusion 4.01 in the PassMark suite of Windows benchmarks, running 9.5 percent faster overall. (I tested both on an early-2011 MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM and a 2.0GHz Intel Core i7 running Mac OS X 10.7.1 Lion with the VMs on a FireWire 800-connected 500GB external drive.) When it gets down to specific performance aspects, they differ strongly. Parallels Desktop is much faster (63.3 percent) for CPU operations than Fusion, but Fusion sigificantly outperforms Parallels Desktop in all the other categories: 2D graphics (by 32.5 percent), 3D graphics (by 53.3 percent), memory (by 17.9 percent), and disk (by 7.7 percent), as the table below shows.

VMware Fusion 4 vs. Parallels Desktop 7: Windows performance tests

PassMark Test VMware Fusion 4 VMware Fusion 3 Parallels Desktop 7 Parallels Desktop 6
Overall 896.3 843.1 981.1 899.5
CPU 1162.3 1100.8 1898.1 1835.4
2D graphics 535.9 512.4 404.4 374.3
3D graphics 500.8 364.2 326.7 227.1
Memory 619.0 647.2 525.2 557.6
Disk 1675.0 1656.4 1555.1 1322.9
The bottom line is that gamers and simulation users will get a bigger bang from Fusion, whereas number crunchers will do better by Parallels Desktop.

Both programs offer similar presentation views and configuration options, and both support Lion's new Mission Control multi-application-window display. Fusion adds the ability to encrypt the VMs for more secure storage. On top of that, you get a virtual Bluetooth driver for use with the Mac's Bluetooth for file transfer and device connections, as well as audio support to Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard Server VMs. These are all nice enhancements that may or may not be worth the $50 upgrade price if you're using the $90 Fusion to run just Windows or Linux. However, I appreciate that VMware is charging $50 to upgrade a two-year-old product, whereas the $80 Parallels is charging the same $50 to upgrade a version released only a year ago.

One area where Parallels has a meaningful advantage is in its $20 iOS app, which lets you run VMs wirelessly from your iPad or iPhone, as well as run the host Mac OS X itself through a VNC connection. There's no such add-on for Fusion, though you can control both the Mac OS X host and its VMs with standard VNC client apps on iOS; this Parallels advantage is not that great. (To control Fusion VMs with a VNC client, you need to enable such control in Fusion's preferences.)

But one area where Fusion outdoes Parallels Desktop is its support for Windows 8. Although you can install the developer preview edition of Windows 8 in both applications' VMs, Parallels' drivers and related tools cause the Win8 screen to remain black except while restarting or shutting down, rendering it unusable. Fusion's drivers and related tools work just fine in Windows 8. I'm not suggesting that either program should be required to support an unreleased OS, but it's a happy surprise that Fusion does.

The bottom line is that Fusion, like Parallels Desktop, is not a necessary upgrade for most users. But if you want to run Mac and Windows 8 VMs, it's a reasonable investment.

This story, "Mac virtualization face-off: VMware Fusion 4 vs. Parallels Desktop 7," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in Mac OS X, Windows, and virtualization at InfoWorld.com. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.

Read more about virtualization in InfoWorld's Virtualization Channel.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
... i dont get the hype? people really go out and buy Apple Hardware to Run this OS system What exactly are you converts from Windows to OSX finding thats so great about Apple OS's?
This is a link with the information...
http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-ne...ml#addressbook

I upgrade to the latest and greatest as a matter of habit. I think it was $30, so I wasn't expecting spectacular. Documents auto-save more often and duplicating is new...I think you can retrieve previous saves. Mission Control, App Store & Launchpad on the dock are the obvious.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Personally I think if you want to use a mac because OSX is "better" then stay the hell out of windows. If it's a superior operating system then why are you running windows under parallels or vmware? Clearly it's not superior or you wouldn't need to run windows at all.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
Pro

Well I'm a few more days into it now and I still ain't getting it. I'm gonna remove it in the next few days as its really not doing anything my pc does. Like most apple stuff it looks nice but it's more form over function just like their phones. I get why they dumb it down to keep its simple for the people ain't ain't got the first clue how to use windows but it's crazy to pay more money for less.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Ciaos mitigator

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,290

it must be better, the cool kid on the tv commercial is way cooler than the stuffy PC nerd.

:lol
Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 718

"Apple Overtakes Exxon As Most Valuable Traded Company In The World...Again" (Jordan Crook).

I guess they're doing something right, even with your low opinion.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger
"Apple Overtakes Exxon As Most Valuable Traded Company In The World...Again" (Jordan Crook).

I guess they're doing something right, even with your low opinion.
Yes, they have a brilliant marketing plan. And they like to sell outdated products for a premium and come out with "new" products and convince people to upgrade every 8-12 months.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post
Yes, they have a brilliant marketing plan. And they like to sell outdated products for a premium and come out with "new" products and convince people to upgrade every 8-12 months.
I'm already at that time with my 4S I'm watching everyone else use 4G and I'm stuck with crappy old 3G until the next model comes out def upgrading when it comes out. It's hard to do some of the stuff I'm doing over 3G. Roll on 20-30+mb/s
Old 01-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #17
Ciaos mitigator

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,290

what do you do on your phone that you need the 4g speeds?
i havent really been disappointed on 3g yet. maybe when i use a 4g i will see what i am missing.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris klee View Post
i havent really been disappointed on 3g yet. maybe when i use a 4g i will see what i am missing.
These phones require more and more bandwidth as time goes on. I stream a lot of music and download playlists, FaceTime, tether, connect to my home pc, download large files etc etc and 4g is much much faster.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris klee
That's Apple's plan, keep people dumb to what they are missing. I keep hearing "i don't need faster than 3g..." What a load of crap, i suppose they still use dial up... Apple fans can't admit that their products are outdated before they even come out so they make up stupid excuses and lame lines line "I don't need flash, html5 is coming" ( heard that for years but flash is still going fairly strong...) "I don't need high speed data access" whatever.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #20
CAD Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCDF View Post
Personally I think if you want to use a mac because OSX is "better" then stay the hell out of windows. If it's a superior operating system then why are you running windows under parallels or vmware? Clearly it's not superior or you wouldn't need to run windows at all.
That's a pretty shallow assumption......mac hater

Actually, I have some 3D CAD pgms that only run on windows.

Since I am no longer design/building for a living........I don't really need windows at all.......but out of nostalgia, I keep them readily available.

Advertisement