Only For Those Who Advertise W/Google...

Old 11-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
J Meloche

Trade: Landscape Construction
Rewards Points: 75

Only For Those Who Advertise W/Google...

i have had great advertising success with google over the past two years. but google advertising basically has two parts: search and content. search is when you ad pops up on the right hand side of search results (like when my site pops up after someone does a search on "landscapers ann arbor michigan"). and content is where your ad shows up on other websites relevant to your websites. (for example, my ad often shows up on better homes and gardens, hgtv, and even contractortalk.com.) but it occurs to me that showing up on those sites is next to worthless from a business standpoint. how many customers am i likely to get off of this website, HGTV or better homes and gardens? pretty much none.

so...do those of you who advertise with google advertise with search AND content, or just paid search? thanks for any insight....

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,138

Re: Only For Those Who Advertise W/Google...

I got some work from content ads, but not much at all.
I wonder if geographical settings apply to them as well.
You can set the bids for them separately (.35 cents for mine)
so it is not too expensive.

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Construction Supplier
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
I got some work from content ads, but not much at all.
I wonder if geographical settings apply to them as well.
You can set the bids for them separately (.35 cents for mine)
so it is not too expensive.
yeah, geographical settings do apply to adwords. Also, run the ads like he does. Use your city/area/landmarks whatever people search for in your area within your keywords.

I have been using adwords for almost a year now. It is a very expensive lesson, that is for sure. Learn how to use broad search, narrow, exact, etc. And also learn how to use negative keywords as well. The adwords keyword search tool is amazing as well. The only flaw I can find with adwords is, if you get too exact your ads will not show at all. And I would think being super exact like "boston tile installation", might not yield enough searches for google to actually display the ad.

JJ
Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Construction Supplier
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakie99 View Post
i have had great advertising success with google over the past two years. but google advertising basically has two parts: search and content. search is when you ad pops up on the right hand side of search results (like when my site pops up after someone does a search on "landscapers ann arbor michigan"). and content is where your ad shows up on other websites relevant to your websites. (for example, my ad often shows up on better homes and gardens, hgtv, and even contractortalk.com.) but it occurs to me that showing up on those sites is next to worthless from a business standpoint. how many customers am i likely to get off of this website, HGTV or better homes and gardens? pretty much none.

so...do those of you who advertise with google advertise with search AND content, or just paid search? thanks for any insight....
Personally I use both, but I have no idea if that is completly smart or not. There are many keywords that I already rank number 1 for anyway. I have not decided if doing adwords for those is a great idea or not. My fear is, that even though I rank number 1 for a keyword, someone elses adwords might get clicked instead of my number 1 organic.

By the way, adwords also appears above not just on the right, and it can be misleading to many people. Those top adwords appear to be the number 1 search to some.

I will do an experiment over the next couple of weeks to see how it works out for me. I have 2 products that are very similar that I normally rank number 1 for both. I will run an adwords for one of them, and see which one gets more hits compared to not running adwords for either.

I will let you know the results in a couple of weeks. It is too small of a data sample size, but I have been curious about your exact question as well.

JJ

Last edited by Aiken Colon; 11-30-2008 at 11:48 PM.