Need Windows Laptop For Quickbooks

Old 02-21-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 8,942

Need Windows Laptop For Quickbooks

I just started with a new book keeper. After talking to her, it seems to make the most sense to buy a cheap laptop with windows so I can run quickbooks with windows. I am a Mac guy, and have been using the mac version of quickbooks, but they are phasing it out. I'm not interested in online quickbooks. Can you guys recommend a cheap but decent laptop that won't give me issues. I am just going to use it for quickbooks and storing digital files of receipts etc. Pretty much nothing else. I think it would need at least a 13" screen and the ability to use a wireless mouse.(think that is just a usb port). I haven't used a windows anything in a long time, so don't know what to look for. Thanks, Nick.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Systems
Rewards Points: 1,248

Re: Need Windows Laptop For Quickbooks

Last I checked the specs on quickbooks was like 8gb ram and a dual core processor should be able to get something for between 4-600$ to fit your needs.

Any modern pc will have no problem running a wireless mouse.

I would suggest getting a pc with an ssd drive but that's just me

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
Box Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker1-1 View Post
Last I checked the specs on quickbooks was like 8gb ram and a dual core processor should be able to get something for between 4-600$ to fit your needs.

Any modern pc will have no problem running a wireless mouse.

I would suggest getting a pc with an ssd drive but that's just me

Fahq. I was hoping I could get by spending $250

Old 02-21-2018, 07:16 PM   #4
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 908

QB will run on 4Gigs of ram, 8 is recommended.

I have the box right in front of me, I just installed QB Desktop pro, for the first time. I am upgrading from an obsolete software that I've had for a long time. I haven't worked with the QB software at all so other than what's on the box, I can't tell you.

I will say that I just purchased laptop pc for the Mrs., all she wants to do with it is watch DVD's. I went to Microcenter and picked up a nice little laptop for under $300.

It would probably run the QB with no problem. You can also upgrade to 8gig of ram pretty cheap.

I have also bought some open box laptops from there and saved a ton of money.

Worth checking out.

microcenter.com

www.gebcon.com

Last edited by tgeb; 02-21-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 886

Is there some reason that you need a separate machine to run QB? Is there a second user? If you have been happy running QB on Mac and you just want to run QB for Windows, then VMWare Fusion and Windows to run QB for Windows on your Mac might be a better choice.

BUT, let's backup a bit first, WHY do you think you need to toss your existing QB for Mac just because Intuit is "phasing it out"?

One of my jobs is working as a consultant for a CPA firm that works with 20+ different versions of QB including QB for Mac. It is just a normal part of being a CPA who have clients that use QB. Only the ultra low end Accountants force their clients to upgrade to suit them.

One of my businesses uses QB 2003, one uses QB 2008, one uses 2013, and the heavy construction company uses Accubuild, B2W, Agtek, AutoCAD, etc. You have to choose the right tool for the job. If you buy to heavily into Intuit, they will eventually force you into QB online anyway. Resistance to their pressure may be the right choice. We were the original GC beta site for Accubuild and they tried to force us into the "cloud". They didn't get away with it. NOBODY is putting my data in the cloud, period!

Last edited by GregB; 02-21-2018 at 07:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GregB For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #6
Box Builder

Yeah, I see that 4 gb will do it. Just finally trying to get a bit more organized so I don't lose money that I shouldn't and don't get so overwhelmed come tax time. I am a mac guy through and through, so are there any brands of laptops that I should stay away from. I literally know nothing about PC stuff.

I'm just trying to make my life easier. Maybe my book keeper sucks. But she's going to make my life easier. I'm just going to get a desktop version.

Last edited by Morning Wood; 02-21-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #7
Pro

Get an off lease unit it's all I run and have never had a problem you can get an i5 with 8gb for a couple hundred

Old 02-22-2018, 06:00 AM   #8
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

I thought Quickbooks was so you didn't need a bookkeeper? I had it and just had an accountant do my federal income tax and quarterly estimates once a year.

Sounds like she just wants to import data. It reminds me of working with the state, I was supposed to use the latest MS Office. I bowed out at that point.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #9
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 12,444

Use the online version...sure it lacks a lot of features but it will make your life easier.
ScipioAfricanus (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #10
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Woodworker Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 11,201

I find it hard to believe that QB requires that much memory to run. It's a spreadsheet.

If you are using it to keep tabs on a couple hundred employees then maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 02-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
This space for lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
I find it hard to believe that QB requires that much memory to run. It's a spreadsheet.
I think Windoze needs half of it.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #12
Pro

"QB is a spreadsheet" ?? Do you mean it is a spreadsheet because it is a transactional based accounting system that stores all the individual transaction records and then displays the total? If so that means it should be MUCH more demanding than the traditional posting based accounting software, and it IS. Also a SQL database running in the background which adds memory demand.

This transactional based accounting is why QB does not scale well at all or work long term if you have lots of transactions. It stores every transaction from day one and the file just keeps growing and growing, eventually getting to the point where it becomes painfully slow.

You need to be very careful using QB to stick with a small company that isn't likely to grow large. I'm living the pain of trying to get one off QB for that very reason. It is ugly because it integrates with other data collection such as barcoded payroll that makes it tough.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #13
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post

If you are using it to keep tabs on a couple hundred employees then maybe.
More of a relational database.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB View Post
Is there some reason that you need a separate machine to run QB? Is there a second user? If you have been happy running QB on Mac and you just want to run QB for Windows, then VMWare Fusion and Windows to run QB for Windows on your Mac might be a better choice.

BUT, let's backup a bit first, WHY do you think you need to toss your existing QB for Mac just because Intuit is "phasing it out"?

One of my jobs is working as a consultant for a CPA firm that works with 20+ different versions of QB including QB for Mac. It is just a normal part of being a CPA who have clients that use QB. Only the ultra low end Accountants force their clients to upgrade to suit them.

One of my businesses uses QB 2003, one uses QB 2008, one uses 2013, and the heavy construction company uses Accubuild, B2W, Agtek, AutoCAD, etc. You have to choose the right tool for the job. If you buy to heavily into Intuit, they will eventually force you into QB online anyway. Resistance to their pressure may be the right choice. We were the original GC beta site for Accubuild and they tried to force us into the "cloud". They didn't get away with it. NOBODY is putting my data in the cloud, period!

I think I see the answer to my question.

I want to have the predicament that the OP has. I've lost faith and confidence in PC products. Despite annual antivirus subscriptions, I'm told my machine could fail at any time.

My POS Toshiba has issues, like every other PC I have ever had eventually has. It has QB on it.

If I switch to Mac, I also need to go with QBO, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 12:50 PM   #15
Pro

You could get a Mac and run time machine to run a virtual windows operating system but it will add overhead to the system.

Told by who your pc could fail at any minute?

Any pc can fail at any minute even a mac.

There are also numerous free Antivirus products on the market.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stryker1-1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #16
Pro

If you wish to run a Mac, then you have several choices:

1. QB Desktop for MAC. This has always had a bad reputation and seems to be going away.

2. Dual Boot Software that lets you boot Mac OC or Windows. This would drive me crazy so I have never even looked a this idea. I need to run everything all the time.

3. VMWare Fusion that lets you run a virtual PC on the Mac. A Virtual Windows runs on the Mac that runs a different OS, in this case Windows. Virtualization has been normal on servers for decades.

4. Run QB Online. Then you are connecting to their servers and it doesn't much matter what you run. They love to move people this direction as they keep charging you monthly fees forever. Stop paying and you can't even get to your data. Internet down, same result.

I like Macs for their uses. My choice if you are sick of unreliable PCs is to use a business PC for business. I've got dozens of 10+ year old HP Workstations running business critical functions and they just keep working.

Here is one extreme example. Here is a HP XA-S Workstation that runs those three barcode printers. Originally installed for CAD with NT v3.51 in 1997. Upgraded to NT 4.0, then Windows 2000, then XP. New mirrored hard drives of course since it is business critical printing labels through an EDI interface that has penalties if product not shipped same day. Working 40-50 hrs per week for 5-6 years then 24x7 for another 15 years with hard drives only replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Windows Laptop for Quickbooks-kayak_xas_edi-printer.jpg  

Last edited by GregB; 02-22-2018 at 01:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GregB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #17
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
I think I see the answer to my question.

I want to have the predicament that the OP has. I've lost faith and confidence in PC products. Despite annual antivirus subscriptions, I'm told my machine could fail at any time.

My POS Toshiba has issues, like every other PC I have ever had eventually has. It has QB on it.

If I switch to Mac, I also need to go with QBO, right?

For the most part it's just the hard drives that fail, run a good one.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #18
Pro

Rewards Points: 3,294

Computer repair guy said the Toshiba Satellite was prone to catastrophic failure. I apparently have some virus that redirects your search engine to Bing as a default. Can't get rid of it. He started working on it, but recognized some red flags and shut it down.

It was a good computer in 2013. It has Windows 10, which I absolutely hate.

If Americans were forced to update their cars as they do their computers, there would be riots.

I wouldn't be opposed to a monthly fee. How much is it?

I really don't like spending a grand every four or five years on a computer I barely use and never abuse.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #19
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
Computer repair guy said the Toshiba Satellite was prone to catastrophic failure. I apparently have some virus that redirects your search engine to Bing as a default. Can't get rid of it. He started working on it, but recognized some red flags and shut it down.

It was a good computer in 2013. It has Windows 10, which I absolutely hate.

If Americans were forced to update their cars as they do their computers, there would be riots.

I wouldn't be opposed to a monthly fee. How much is it?

I really don't like spending a grand every four or five years on a computer I barely use and never abuse.

I think I pay around 25 bucks a month.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #20
This space for lease

No way in hell will I ever pay for the privilege of using my computer. I feel for those enslaved to the Renton Borg.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
Mordekyle (02-22-2018)