Modernizing Customer Management

Old 09-10-2017, 11:51 AM   #1
Super Roofer

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 6

Modernizing Customer Management

Hola gentlemen. And gentlewomen.

We've been doing everything with paper and pen for 15 years now, and it suddenly occurs to me that's stupid.

In the little bit of research I've done (on this topic I know jack about, therefore can't even really research very well), what I want is:

-Tablets capable of doing take-offs for all PMs, preferably that we can even write proposals on/maybe even replace our laptops with

-Software for these tablets that handles the above, plus tracks, categorizes, updates, and finalizes all leads/client projects AND that works in real time between our tablets, manages a calendar and assigns tasks to different personnel, viewable by all, also in real time...... and massive bonus for some kind of email filing/management/tagging?

-Integration with MS Office suite.... at least somewhat... with no duplication of data entry required (its all the duplication that's really killing me)

I'm daft, and dull. Tell me what to buy. Got a hole burning in my expense account.

Thanks boys!

Last edited by Fairweather; 09-10-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2017, 01:36 AM   #2
New Guy

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 66

Re: Modernizing Customer Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairweather View Post
-Tablets capable of doing take-offs for all PMs, preferably that we can even write proposals on/maybe even replace our laptops with
Microsoft Surface Tablets will Run Buebeam REVU. Not a bad deal but not fun doing a larg takeoff on one. (Unless you have a dock with a larger screen)

Quote:
-Software for these tablets that handles the above, plus tracks, categorizes, updates, and finalizes all leads/client projects AND that works in real time between our tablets, manages a calendar and assigns tasks to different personnel, viewable by all, also in real time...... and massive bonus for some kind of email filing/management/tagging?
I am not aware of a single suite of software that will do all of this. Some VERY LARGE (AND VERY EXPENSIVE) systems like Procore/Prolog or Sage, can do a lot of this but not all.

Quote:
-Integration with MS Office suite.... at least somewhat... with no duplication of data entry required (its all the duplication that's really killing me)
Any major suite will have MS office integration. Like I said check out Procore or Sage300. You will need all of the modules available to get close to what you are wanting. It won't be cheap.

You could always do a custom solution. but that is a lot of work and expense as well with no major platform to turn to for support,.

Good luck!

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #3

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 132

Take a look at Zoho. I did WAY too much research on all of this, and coincidentally, just sitting down now to set it all up

Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #4

Trade: Contracting trade
Rewards Points: 8

Use your existing smartphone or tablet with any of these apps: Construction Daily Log; Construction Manager; Construction Estimator and Bidding; Work Order Assigner
Old 09-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #5

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 156

All of our superintendents do their work on tablets every day now. Some pretty cool features, such as being able to take pics with it and include the pic in meeting notes, voice to text saves typing, etc. Some guys just do the bare minimum with them and some have them mastered.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #6

Trade: Insulation and HVAC
Rewards Points: 10

I've looked extensively (way too much) at these tools. There are some industry-specific options as well as some versatile generic platforms.

For new construction BuilderTrend looks like a great system. You can manage leads (CRM functionality) and do all the project management, with a great mobile-first design and feature-set. However, the pricing is based around big projects. It didn't work for me and I doubt it would be appropriate for a roofing contractor.

Co-construct is great for task management. But their customization and reporting is extremely limited. Still might be worth a look, though, as the pricing works well for small specialty contractors.

I work in building performance - insulation, air sealing, and HVAC - so I approached it with that in mind and found a platform called Nexus. It's made by a company that does energy audit (modeling) software, but it can be used separately. It's a nice fit pricing an feature wise. It's built in Salesforce so it's powerful and flexible but they did a bunch of industry-specific customizations. They will work with you on adding whatever custom fields, take-offs, invoice and report formats you want. It works for us.

In terms of generic platforms, I would go with Salesforce over Zoho. Zoho is cheaper but you get what you pay for. Salesforce looks really complicated - I used it for a while before switching to Nexus - but after you get a feel for it you can really make it dance. There's a reason there are millions of people using it.

Advertisement