Job Site Cameras

Old 10-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
Mark

Trade: Marine Construction - Docks and Boat Lifts
Rewards Points: 300
Send a message via MSN to casey344

Job Site Cameras

I am looking for a solution to monitor job-sites remotely. Nothing commercial grade, just a simple solution to check-in without being there in person. We would tap into the clients WiFi whenever allowed. Units need to be outdoor rated and work on 110v power - no battery necessary. Cloud recording would be a nice option.

We use the Ring system at home and Canary for a boat we keep out of state - both do well but wondering if there's something else available.

Thanks in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Mark

Re: Job Site Cameras

Not a very popular topic I guess. I ordered a solar powered Ring Spotlight cam earlier this morning.

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 104

are you happy with the ring doorbell? I'm on the fence about getting one

Old 10-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Trout View Post
are you happy with the ring doorbell? I'm on the fence about getting one
Very happy ... only problem we have is when we are in a bad cell service area and want to talk with whomever is at the front door. Otherwise it has been great and we rarely ever need to talk to our visitors.

We have two of their motion security light cameras too, one on each front corner of our house, and they're great. We are often away and it helps keep an eye on things and whether we need to ask neighbors to bring parcels inside.

You can select the area you want to monitor within the camera view. For example, you can deselect the sidewalk and street from any alerts but enable the yard and driveway.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,674

We do job/construction site security systems. We have one option that works ok, but it's not what you are looking for. I am currently putting together designs for either Temp Power systems, and, Solar Powered systems that allow off site viewing.

The bottom line is, none of this is cheap. Most of what we have done in the past is for large solar farm applications where the projects run from $50m up to $4.5b. We done other projects but the sites already had internet connections.

You can stay in touch in case we come up with anything that works well within a limited budget. BTW, if you don't have internet on site, then you are looking at a cellular connection, with cell service costs.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
New Guy

Trade: Licensed Plumber & Inspector
Rewards Points: 76

Not 110v but cell capable. >>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=trailcam06-20

12 AA batteries. >>> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYLTJTD?psc=1

A little higher end here. >>>http://radiusvision.com/complete-sys...amera-systems/
Old 10-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
Mark

Thank you cwatbay ... we use a Verizon Jet Pack with our Canary camera kept on our boat in VA and it seems to do well. The internet and camera are in a somewhat protected space unlike some of our jobsites so there's no concern about theft. No power would be another hurdle but power is almost always available.

In my limited reseach I've not seen aynthing I found affordable for my application.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:59 AM   #8
Mark

The camera is mounted about 50' from the shoreline and at 1080p I can barely make out who's who. Picks up audio really well. It was $250.00 for this solar option, the battery has kept up with the usage. The camera is about 20' from the clients back door and it reports a poor signal but that hasn't seemed to affect any functions.

It has been interesting to see who get's there on time and who the ambitious workers are when the boss isn't looking. We debated on whether to tell them it was there and decided we'd leave it covert for a little while. The picture of the tree shows the camera and solar panel from about 20'. So far nobody has asked me if it was mine so they either haven't seen it or think it belongs to the homeowner.

The picture with the 8A on it shows 2 of the 5 guys that are supposed to be on the dock working starting at 730am. The work truck GPS puts them onsite at 730am but it appears theres some delay getting the rest down there, one of which is supposed to be the lead man. The two that did make it down are just chatting or admiring yesterdays work. Actual 'work' this day didn't start until about 8:15am - a $187.50 loss to the company.
Attached Thumbnails
Job Site Cameras-img_2250-1-.png   Job Site Cameras-img_2219-1-.jpg   Job Site Cameras-img_e2252-1-.jpg  

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to casey344 For This Useful Post:
r a s (10-27-2017)