IOS Essential Apps For Contractors

Old 06-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #1

Trade: Contractor & Contractor Business Consultant
Rewards Points: 75

IOS Essential Apps For Contractors

I'm a long time dedicated Macintosh user (since Wednesday December 11th 1991 @ 10:18pm. Yeah, I have the the first thing I ever did on a Mac, a MacPaint document so I know the date) and so now I'm obviously a avid iOS user too.

I've been reading some of the iPad iPhone and iOS threads here this evening and most of the talk seems to be centered around the devices themselves.

I'm trying to compile and build a list of construction related iOS apps (iPhone and iPad for any androids out there that who are unclear that's what iOS means) and I'm wondering what you all use, how do you use it and why?

It seems like every contractor, carpenter, plumber, or electrician I see with one of those devices has an app on it I never seen before.

What are your favorite iOS applications and how are you using them?

I'm also interested in the apps you might think are a waste of time and money too.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Resident Pain

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 1,730

Re: IOS Essential Apps For Contractors

BuildCalc use it for everything from cutting a roof to squaring a floor to stringers and stairs. Great app!!! As far as waste of money, CMP app rather sucks in comparison to buildcalc. This should be a great thread, thanks for starting it.

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,608

I use NotesPlus for the iPad. Had to pay for it (3 or 5 bucks), but I think it's worth it. I use it for note taking on estimates. You can record voice memos, input text with the keyboard, or use a stylus and write like with pen & paper. Also you can take and insert photos.

Able to organize files in different folders. Syncs instantly with my Dropbox account so I can access it from my iPhone or computer.

I was always so disorganized with my notes. Several notebooks, not sure what's in what. Ripped pages, smeared ink from rain or coffee. I'm still disorganized, but notes plus helps keep it in check a little.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanningCustom View Post
BuildCalc use it for everything from cutting a roof to squaring a floor to stringers and stairs. Great app!!! As far as waste of money, CMP app rather sucks in comparison to buildcalc. This should be a great thread, thanks for starting it.
Traveling around though a bunch of forums this evening it seems to me that BuildCalc is the consensus winner over Construction Master Pro.

Why? That the kind of stuff I hope to get into for what I'm compiling and writing and I don't want to have to buy all the apps myself just to find out.

I hope to get some stories of how the great apps have save you all time and money on the job.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbruzze1 View Post
I use NotesPlus for the iPad. Had to pay for it (3 or 5 bucks), but I think it's worth it. I use it for note taking on estimates. You can record voice memos, input text with the keyboard, or use a stylus and write like with pen & paper. Also you can take and insert photos.
I/we used to have an app I created myself in FileMaker 11 that did all that note taking. I discovered actually by accident that in FileMaker 11 that if you double tapped/clicked on a Container field you could record a voice memo to attach to a To Do List item or any other table record that had a container field.

Then just a couple of months ago FileMaker Inc released FileMaker Pro 12 and a new FileMaker Go for iOS devices. While the kool thing was that FileMaker Go was now a FREE app in this new FM 12 version the container fields seem to have lost that voice recording functionality.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #6
Sawdust maker

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Docs to go, and sign and send are the 2 main business apps I use when doing consultations. Of course there is the CT app that gets the most use. I'm trying to find a good mileage log app. Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 718

Most of the apps I use are included on the iPhone:

Camera, Weather, Notes, Clock, Phone, Contacts, Calendar, Utilities (Calculator, Compass, Voice Memos) . Others are Square and White Pages.

Likewise on the iPad with the addition of Dropbox, Form Tools, Invoice2go, and Big Calc Free.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,685

Sorry, but marketing research is against this site's Terms of Service.

Thread closed.

Advertisement