Inexpensive Cad Software?

Old 06-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
wannabe

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Inexpensive Cad Software?

Since I've become a member of CT I've run into a number of situations where a diagram speaks so much better than explaining. Is there something inexpensive that you'd recommend that would allow quick crude sketches, or even something I can use for simple furniture designs?

I don't have much of a need for state the art at this point in time, maybe just a starter to get a point across, or to start learning the basics?

Can this be done with "finger paint"?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Inexpensive Cad Software?

Cad is not really good for illustrations, but you can use any number of graphic programs to make an illustration or a line drawing. Here are a couple of free ones:

Inkscape, a free vector editor: www.inkscape.org

Gimp, a free graphic program like PhotoShop: www.gimp.org

A lot of folks here have mentioned or use SketchUp, I think it's a cad/illustration program, I believe they have a freeware version: http://www.sketchup.com

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Newly Licensed Guy

Trade: General Contractor/ Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYcarpenter View Post
Since I've become a member of CT I've run into a number of situations where a diagram speaks so much better than explaining. Is there something inexpensive that you'd recommend that would allow quick crude sketches, or even something I can use for simple furniture designs?

I don't have much of a need for state the art at this point in time, maybe just a starter to get a point across, or to start learning the basics?

Can this be done with "finger paint"?
Its free and can do simple stuff to complex stuff. Very easy to learn and its free.

sketch I did for someones business attached.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,036

Trident, you might want to let us in on the secret! Which program!?!? LOL.

I'm assuming SketchUp (maybe "finger paint??? not sure what that is) which I concur, it is a relatively easy program to use and it's free. Plus it has some downloadable goodies.

If you are looking for CAD, a simple AutoCAD knockoff should be somewhat easy to Google. There's quite literally hundreds of them, a few for free...might be a little task to find free ones.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post

I'm assuming SketchUp (maybe "finger paint??? not sure what that is) which I concur, it is a relatively easy program to use and it's free. Plus it has some downloadable goodies.

If you are looking for CAD, a simple AutoCAD knockoff should be somewhat easy to Google. There's quite literally hundreds of them, a few for free...might be a little task to find free ones.
finger paint was..windows 93 or something, a default accessory program....downloaded sketchup, that's what I was looking for...I don't find it so user friendly....

can't really expect someone to frame bastard roofs the day after they layout their first common rafter
Old 06-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,036

Give me a minute, I think there's some video tutorials for SketchUp

Edit: Found them. They help

http://download.sketchup.com/downloa...Tutorials.html

Last edited by Kent Whitten; 06-26-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler
Rewards Points: 2,000

I think he's talking about MicroSoft Paint, you cant get some great results if you learn the tools and what they can do.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #8
wannabe

Thanks guys, I haven't had a chance to go through the tutorial, but I do appreciate the help.

I may be lagging behind my peers her at CT, but belive it or not I'm pulling ahead of the competition in wny.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:43 PM   #9
Newly Licensed Guy

Trade: General Contractor/ Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post

I use three different programs.

I used sketchup 1st. it was the best for the money @ the time and I didn't need a full on CAD program. I paid for the professional version $500, and its been one of the best tools i have. The one drawback is that it isn't specifically for construction, so while there are a lot of pre built elements, some details need to be created. But from a 3d modeling standpoint, its fast, powerful and simple.

I just bought chief architect recently and im very impressed with the speed I can create things, I just need more time to learn it. Its not free for sure so its an investment.

And lastly, I used 3d studio max on a small scale basis because its a lot more complicated (for me) and creating what I want isn't as easy as I thought it would be. I made the avatar picture with max. Its also a serious investment.

The other things I like about sketchup is the community forums. friendly people who like to take on a challenge so there always help. Also, I like how the presentations i can get without waiting for them to render.

I've also seen some amazing things done in paint, photoshop, and by hand but im not an artist so I leave that to people who have time and the built in skill. I like being able to throw in a sketch with proposals , especially with the new photo match feature in sketchup. You can do it with max and Chief Architect, but that takes a lot more time. One last thing, if you consider Chief Architect or Max, you should look at some other programs in their class to just to see what suits you.

-Hope this helps

Langston
Old 07-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #10

Trade: Electrical

Hey trident where in north hollywood are you. Also do you do landscape drawings.

Advertisement