Buying A Costco Security Camera System

Old 12-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #1
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 682

Buying A Costco Security Camera System

I have a 400.00 Costco card and thought I would get a cheap security system. One - I can keep an eye on the place from my smart phone and two - I can keep and eye on my dog while out of town. I don't want to spend more than a grand. These are the two I saw, remember, I'm a carpenter so go easy on me!

Which is better?

http://www.costco.com/.product.10014...rySiloedViewCP

http://www.costco.com/.product.10012...oryTopProducts

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

Re: Buying A Costco Security Camera System

They are both about the same thing quality wise. There are better systems that you can get for less elsewhere if you don't need all 8 cameras. And of course you can spend more elsewhere to get an even better system but if you have $400 in Costco Cash and you don't need tires, cigarettes or a 5 gallons of mouthwash, then get it. It's a good deal.

Advertisement

greg24k (12-13-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 9,218

Get the Lorex.
Walker1 (12-14-2014)

Old 12-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
GC/carpenter

I don't need anything else from Costco. We recently had some bad apples move to my street. They were caught three times stealing chit from nieghbors. Once they actually went in through a window inside a home, so they are getting more and more brazen. They must have 10 people living in that house.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
GC/carpenter

Will each camera need a 120v outlet to plug into?
Old 12-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #6
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 14

I'm pretty sure my EC has the second system.
Uses it to monitor his second home, mainly the pool.

It has worked great.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Will each camera need a 120v outlet to plug into?
No they are 12V, the kit comes with a power supply for all the cameras.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:05 AM   #8
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
No they are 12V, the kit comes with a power supply for all the cameras.
One wire per camera, and all run back to the power supply? I think I can handle that.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:06 AM   #9
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
One wire per camera, and all run back to the power supply? I think I can handle that.
The kit probably comes with wires for all the cameras, you may need to extend a few.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #10
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
The kit probably comes with wires for all the cameras, you may need to extend a few.
Thanks.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #11
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 408

It is a great deterrent. Bought the Q See 8 camera, 1Tb drive from Costco 2 yrs ago for <$600. Had an undesirable move next door dealing drugs, bonfires in driveway, etc. Put up the cameras, left on vacation and was able to watch house on the iPad from a campground. Awesome!. Not great imaging at night with IR, but sufficient to send the message "Not in this neighborhood".

Definitely struck a nerve because when I returned from that trip the police were knocking on my door because the neighbor says it's an invasion of his privacy. Showed the cops the images/camera coverage and all was good. Just can't aim directly into neighbors windows and I had not.

You will be amazed at how much stuff happens around your home when your not there. Solicitors, car accidents, high school kids toilet papering at 2 am, etc.

Warning! Be careful how you set up your computer/router portals or port forwarding. I created a huge hole in my online security because all ports were open to and from any ip. Costco has a great concierge service that fixed this and helped with the whole setup.

Good luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doctor Handyman For This Useful Post:
Builders Inc. (03-09-2015), Californiadecks (12-13-2014), m1911 (03-08-2015)
Old 12-13-2014, 01:02 AM   #12
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Handyman View Post
It is a great deterrent. Bought the Q See 8 camera, 1Tb drive from Costco 2 yrs ago for <$600. Had an undesirable move next door dealing drugs, bonfires in driveway, etc. Put up the cameras, left on vacation and was able to watch house on the iPad from a campground. Awesome!. Not great imaging at night with IR, but sufficient to send the message "Not in this neighborhood".

Definitely struck a nerve because when I returned from that trip the police were knocking on my door because the neighbor says it's an invasion of his privacy. Showed the cops the images/camera coverage and all was good. Just can't aim directly into neighbors windows and I had not.

You will be amazed at how much stuff happens around your home when your not there. Solicitors, car accidents, high school kids toilet papering at 2 am, etc.

Warning! Be careful how you set up your computer/router portals or port forwarding. I created a huge hole in my online security because all ports were open to and from any ip. Costco has a great concierge service that fixed this and helped with the whole setup.

Good luck!
Yep, we have some very undiserables to say the least. I'm almost certain drugs are being dealt out of that home. I have cops that live on this bock so I get the inside scoop everytime the cops are over there. They've made several arrests since they moved in. No one works that lives there according to one of the kids. The rent on the place is about 3000.00 a month.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

Quote:
So true. I am amazed at how much stuff goes on around the neighborhood on those days that I'm home during the week. Do these people not have regular jobs or what?
Old 12-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #14
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 2,294

Let us know how, which ever system you pick, it goes.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following User Says Thank You to TNTSERVICES For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,674

Since we do this for a living (at least most of our business these days), I will put my 2 cents in. First, like the others, I would recommend the FLIR. Although right now, I am having trouble with FLIR quality control, especially on their low end....i.e. cameras that cost more than the entire system you are looking at.

Here is some perspective, our lowest cost system, and I mean lowest, which consists of a NVR (not DVR), 4 cameras 2.1 megapixel, POE switch, plus the wiring (CAT6) and labor ....which includes programming, port forwarding and DDNS setup, runs a minimum of $3800.00. And I am thinking of discontinuing this low end our ours because it is still a pain in the rear end.......actually people that buy it are.

I have put in a few of these Costco type systems for existing commercial clients at their homes.....I won't do it for anyone else...they can hire someone off of Craigs List. Video is not bad. Cams aren't bad for the price, and the DVR's are ok....1tb at the least. Set up is pretty standard...I don't even bother reading the directions since it's pretty intuitive (for me).

Be careful of the cabling. It only comes in certain lengths, you can buy couplers to extend it. Also it is not standard coax like RG59 or RG6 so you cannot use those types to extend the distance of the cam from the DVR/power supply.

Also, your frame rate per cam will determine the volume of data on the hard drive. The higher the frame rate the less space you have on the hard drive, which lessens how much archive space you have: ie: 1 week of video, 2 weeks, 1 month, etc.

One other thing. Make sure that there isn't a sticker or other notification on the DVR that states that the recorded video is only for personal use and cannot be used for prosecution.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (12-13-2014), griz (12-13-2014), m1911 (03-08-2015), TNTSERVICES (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #16
GC/carpenter

Just don't see how a camera company can decide what's evidence and what's not. I think they are covering thier arse so they won't get pulled into court everytime a defense attorney questions thier technology. Just a hunch.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,674

Quote:

Good luck!
Forget all this privacy crap. I have been on all sides(law enforcement and security) of this issue and have spoken on video, privacy rights, etc.

You do have privacy rights when it comes to the government spying on you. No so much with the neighbor and his new drone, CCTV cams and so forth.

If whatever you are doing is within the "public view" i.e. can be seen from a common area, public lands, roadways, sideways, etc. ....then it pretty much sucks to be you. If you have a large bay window in the front of your house and you're standing there smoking crack, and, a cop walks by and sees you doing it.....guess what...you're busted. it was in plain view of the public.

If you like nude sunbathing in the back yard and your neighbor has a two story house and their window looks down on your back yard....guess what....no privacy for you. However, if your neighbor has a CCTV system and a camera watches their backyard and happens to catch you running around with your wang hanging out.......it does get more interesting (no pun intended). In this case they can view your sordid activities for themselves......but they cannot use that video for public consumption...ie: post it on the internet or invite the neighborhood(sans you) to view the show. This would be similar to a movie company or photographer getting a release from you for using your image for commercial use.

As you can see, there is some gray area, which is where all the ACLU attorneys get involved.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (12-13-2014), griz (12-13-2014), jproffer (12-14-2014), m1911 (03-08-2015), tgeb (12-13-2014), TNTSERVICES (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: carpenter & Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,510

Just to add my 2 cents,most of the activity that your trying to get recorded happens to be at nite . You not going to be able to identify anyone with these camera's at nite . If that's your goal your going to need to spend on some HD LED camera's .I had a problem with some punks checking car door handles and had recorded them with 720mp cameras ,couldn't tell a boy from a girl .I felt as though I wasted my money ,what good is it if you can't get facial recognition . I then spent a lot more to get the HD LED camera's but it's like watching HD TV ..............unbelievable . Even in the darkest area's of my property with no light these camera's pick up facial's with out a problem . Expensive.....yea .....but well worth it . Now if your just trying to say hey........don't fu with me , move on to the next house then why spend more than you need .
Old 12-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #19
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglei View Post
Just to add my 2 cents,most of the activity that your trying to get recorded happens to be at nite . You not going to be able to identify anyone with these camera's at nite . If that's your goal your going to need to spend on some HD LED camera's .I had a problem with some punks checking car door handles and had recorded them with 720mp cameras ,couldn't tell a boy from a girl .I felt as though I wasted my money ,what good is it if you can't get facial recognition . I then spent a lot more to get the HD LED camera's but it's like watching HD TV ..............unbelievable . Even in the darkest area's of my property with no light these camera's pick up facial's with out a problem . Expensive.....yea .....but well worth it . Now if your just trying to say hey........don't fu with me , move on to the next house then why spend more than you need .
I have one lorex camera with night vision and I can see things decently. It says the Costco lorex do the same. However I will look into it to make sure.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #20
GC/carpenter

I think I found the one I want. It's a Samsung

Advertisement