Apple Verses PC? - Page 7 - Technology - Contractor Talk

Apple Verses PC?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #121
Pro
 
JustaFramer's Avatar
 
Trade: Exiled For Life
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lynnwood,WA
Posts: 3,292
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Apple Verses PC?


I am now Ubuntu convert. Running dual boot for now but plan on going exclusive. I also have a old xp celeron E machine box in the closet that is going to get a update to Ubuntu.
JustaFramer is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JustaFramer For This Useful Post:
moorewarner (07-07-2010)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 07-04-2010, 11:24 PM   #122
Moderator
 
Double-A's Avatar
 
Trade: GC - Remodeling Specialists
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 4,617
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Apple Verses PC?


I had more fun playing with my Wang... I miss tape drives.

Give me a an old 80386 and DOS 5.1 and we can talk. Otherwise, I want to stay away from winders based machines as much as possible. In this world, that isn't always possible, but in my little world, there is no such thing as Bill Gates. It's my world, if you don't like it, get out.
__________________
"My clients’ wishes are the center of my attention." -- David Guido, a contractor in Woodstock, N.Y.
New York Times, July 20, 2006
Double-A is offline  
Old 07-05-2010, 11:22 AM   #123
Pro
 
JustaFramer's Avatar
 
Trade: Exiled For Life
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lynnwood,WA
Posts: 3,292
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-A View Post
I had more fun playing with my Wang... I miss tape drives.

Give me a an old 80386 and DOS 5.1 and we can talk. Otherwise, I want to stay away from winders based machines as much as possible. In this world, that isn't always possible, but in my little world, there is no such thing as Bill Gates. It's my world, if you don't like it, get out.
I kind of remember those tape drives. The time out room in elementary school had one in there. Not that I was in there alot
JustaFramer is offline  
   
 
Old 07-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #124
Pro
 
RobertCDF's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom deck builder
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 9,177
Rewards Points: 1,533

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-A View Post
I had more fun playing with my Wang... I miss tape drives.

Give me a an old 80386 and DOS 5.1 and we can talk. Otherwise, I want to stay away from winders based machines as much as possible. In this world, that isn't always possible, but in my little world, there is no such thing as Bill Gates. It's my world, if you don't like it, get out.
I liked DR DOS 6 the best of any. Then we went to Windows 3.0. Took some getting used to so I usually spent my time back in DOS anyways.
RobertCDF is offline  
Old 07-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #125
www.Ridgeline-Roofing.com
 
RidgelineRoof's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Siding, Gutters
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Windows 7 is far from sucky suck. Neither is Windows XP. Sure, Vista wasn't great, but it was an entire re-design of the OS.... 7 got rid of lines of decade old code that was not great.

Ubuntu is a good OS but you run into a lot of compatibility issues with devices, something you certainly do not want when you're trying to run a business. The fact is, PCs are over 90% of the market... so you're going to find pretty much all of the software you need on a PC.

They are all good products, although Apple makes their OS and the computers. Microsoft simply supplies the OS, so if you buy the computer from a poor manufacturer that is your own fault. Are Apple laptops like every other device in that the battery is locked in the device and removing it basically voids the warranty? Never owned one and never actually looked at that..
__________________
Serving North & South Carolina
http://www.Ridgeline-Roofing.com
The Storm Stops Here.
RidgelineRoof is offline  
Old 07-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #126
Pro
 
BCConstruction's Avatar
 
Trade: Construction
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 16,392
Rewards Points: 2,394

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgelineRoof View Post
Windows 7 is far from sucky suck. Neither is Windows XP. Sure, Vista wasn't great, but it was an entire re-design of the OS.... 7 got rid of lines of decade old code that was not great.

Ubuntu is a good OS but you run into a lot of compatibility issues with devices, something you certainly do not want when you're trying to run a business. The fact is, PCs are over 90% of the market... so you're going to find pretty much all of the software you need on a PC.

They are all good products, although Apple makes their OS and the computers. Microsoft simply supplies the OS, so if you buy the computer from a poor manufacturer that is your own fault. Are Apple laptops like every other device in that the battery is locked in the device and removing it basically voids the warranty? Never owned one and never actually looked at that..

This is one of my biggest issues with people pointing blame at Microsoft. They normally start out with a cheap ass laptop/desktop and blame the problems on Microsoft when infact it's the hardware the user is trying to run it on. Then they go out and buy a apple pc and then say how much better it runs but they paid 4x as much for it. If they would have spent that much on the first laptop/desktop then they would have had one he'll of a system to start with. Vista was very hardware dependent and required a lot of bandwidth and processor power and to many people tried to run the OS on to lower spec system they had already run windows 98 and XP on and were way past running vista.
__________________
www.bcconstructionllc.com
BCConstruction is offline  
Old 07-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #127
Carpe Diem
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,533
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
This is one of my biggest issues with people pointing blame at Microsoft. They normally start out with a cheap ass laptop/desktop and blame the problems on Microsoft when infact it's the hardware the user is trying to run it on. Then they go out and buy a apple pc and then say how much better it runs but they paid 4x as much for it. If they would have spent that much on the first laptop/desktop then they would have had one he'll of a system to start with. Vista was very hardware dependent and required a lot of bandwidth and processor power and to many people tried to run the OS on to lower spec system they had already run windows 98 and XP on and were way past running vista.
Cheap should not mean incompatible. If a manufacturer is selling a $400 laptop, it should still work under the constraints of the hardware/OS. If not, they have no business selling it in the first place.

So what you're alluding to is there shouldn't be any <$500 WinOS laptops.

The reason Apple doesn't have a lot of comparable issues to cheap Win PCs is they don't allow it. I have a big issue with Apple's mobile computing devices but their computers are top notch. There are too many "weak" PCs because they were/are built too close or under requirements. Ubuntu has issues because of lack of universal hardware support and a rough UI. Apple has nailed it.

Just like a lot of construction/remodeling, you get what you pay for. If you want a solid computer that has little/no hardware compatibility issues and a great UI, pay for the Apple. If you want cheap, you can get Windows and hope it works. No guarantees on hardware compatibility or future upgrades. Oh, and you better protect yourself from the constant virus, spyware, and malware issues. Go could go rogue and get Ubuntu. You're kinda on your own, espcially if you are not computer savvy.

That said, Win7 has been a major relief in the history of crap OS offerings from MS. The reliability in Win7 should have been there back before W2K. Don't get me wrong, Windows has and continues to be maintenance needy and vulnerable to outside threats. As long as you have the correct hardware, software, virus/spyware/malware protection, perform weekly maintenance and don't overload the OS with too many programs, you should have little to no issues.....hopefully.
__________________
Angus
angus242 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to angus242 For This Useful Post:
moorewarner (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #128
Pro
 
BCConstruction's Avatar
 
Trade: Construction
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 16,392
Rewards Points: 2,394

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
Cheap should not mean incompatible. If a manufacturer is selling a $400 laptop, it should still work under the constraints of the hardware/OS. If not, they have no business selling it in the first place.

So what you're alluding to is there shouldn't be any <$500 WinOS laptops.

The reason Apple doesn't have a lot of comparable issues to cheap Win PCs is they don't allow it. I have a big issue with Apple's mobile computing devices but their computers are top notch. There are too many "weak" PCs because they were/are built too close or under requirements. Ubuntu has issues because of lack of universal hardware support and a rough UI. Apple has nailed it.

Just like a lot of construction/remodeling, you get what you pay for. If you want a solid computer that has little/no hardware compatibility issues and a great UI, pay for the Apple. If you want cheap, you can get Windows and hope it works. No guarantees on hardware compatibility or future upgrades. Oh, and you better protect yourself from the constant virus, spyware, and malware issues. Go could go rogue and get Ubuntu. You're kinda on your own, espcially if you are not computer savvy.

That said, Win7 has been a major relief in the history of crap OS offerings from MS. The reliability in Win7 should have been there back before W2K. Don't get me wrong, Windows has and continues to be maintenance needy and vulnerable to outside threats. As long as you have the correct hardware, software, virus/spyware/malware protection, perform weekly maintenance and don't overload the OS with too many programs, you should have little to no issues.....hopefully.
You said exactly what I said. Microsoft have no control on what hardware pc builders put inside a system and have no control over the end users who try to squeeze out another OS build on their already 10 year old $300 desktop. Also Apple are in no way value for money or good quality systems. They put run of the mill components in a shiney case and charge 3x what you could by a pc with same components. They are also known to rename components like graphics cards, main boards, ram, and sound cards with different model numbers so it's not easy to compare the system to another brand.
__________________
www.bcconstructionllc.com
BCConstruction is offline  
Old 07-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #129
Carpe Diem
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,533
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
You said exactly what I said. Microsoft have no control on what hardware pc builders put inside a system and have no control over the end users who try to squeeze out another OS build on their already 10 year old $300 desktop.
And I'm saying that is an error on Microsoft's part. If they put more restrictions on the hardware, they could have eliminated lots of issues.

But aside from the hardware, there's the OS at heart. Windows is antiquated. While overall it has slowly progressed and become more stable over a decade or so, it will continue to be inferior to other OSs because of two simple words; Windows Registry.

I won't even bring up the continual security concerns of running a WIN OS. Opps, I guess I just did!
__________________
Angus
angus242 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to angus242 For This Useful Post:
moorewarner (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #130
Fortune and glory, kid.
 
moorewarner's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler/Restorer
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 2,284
Rewards Points: 1,022

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgelineRoof View Post
Windows 7 is far from sucky suck. Neither is Windows XP. Sure, Vista wasn't great, but it was an entire re-design of the OS.... 7 got rid of lines of decade old code that was not great.
Actually it's not. They tried to do a complete redesign which after several years they abandoned.

"Microsoft originally expected to ship the new version sometime late in 2003 as a minor step between Windows XP (codenamed "Whistler") and Windows 7 (codenamed "Blackcomb" and "Vienna"). Vista's original codename, "Longhorn", was an allusion to this plan: While Whistler and Blackcomb are large ski resorts in British Columbia, Longhorn is the name of a bar between the two mountains that Whistler's visitors pass to reach Blackcomb. Gradually, "Longhorn" assimilated many of the important new features and technologies slated for "Blackcomb", resulting in the release date being pushed back a few times. Many of Microsoft's developers were also re-tasked with improving the security of Windows XP. Faced with ongoing delays and concerns about feature creep, Microsoft announced on August 27, 2004 that it was making significant changes. "Longhorn" development basically started afresh, building on the Windows Server 2003 codebase, and re-incorporating only the features that would be intended for an actual operating system release. Some previously announced features, such as WinFS and NGSCB, were dropped or postponed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Develop..._Windows_Vista

Quote:
Ubuntu is a good OS but you run into a lot of compatibility issues with devices, something you certainly do not want when you're trying to run a business. The fact is, PCs are over 90% of the market... so you're going to find pretty much all of the software you need on a PC.
Actually for the vast majority of hardware, Linux (Ubuntu) is easier to use and better supported, as it is bundled into the Operating System. You don't have to hunt down and install drivers as a separate act after installing the OS. The only real exceptions are some brand new hardware and devices that have been coded to Windows or OSX specifically, that require some higher level OS specific software to make use of as intended; even then the Linux community almost always finds a way to work around it and get things functioning.

Additionally older hardware is actually much better supported on Linux. Hardware manufacturers, generally speaking, cease writing/updating older hardware drivers once the hardware gets a several generations behind. Drivers for Linux aren't dependent on the hardware manufacturer to update them, so as long as the hardware is out in the world the driver will be included and loaded automatically.
moorewarner is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to moorewarner For This Useful Post:
JustaFramer (07-07-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #131
Pro
 
JustaFramer's Avatar
 
Trade: Exiled For Life
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lynnwood,WA
Posts: 3,292
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Quote:
Originally Posted by moorewarner View Post
Actually it's not. They tried to do a complete redesign which after several years they abandoned.

"Microsoft originally expected to ship the new version sometime late in 2003 as a minor step between Windows XP (codenamed "Whistler") and Windows 7 (codenamed "Blackcomb" and "Vienna"). Vista's original codename, "Longhorn", was an allusion to this plan: While Whistler and Blackcomb are large ski resorts in British Columbia, Longhorn is the name of a bar between the two mountains that Whistler's visitors pass to reach Blackcomb. Gradually, "Longhorn" assimilated many of the important new features and technologies slated for "Blackcomb", resulting in the release date being pushed back a few times. Many of Microsoft's developers were also re-tasked with improving the security of Windows XP. Faced with ongoing delays and concerns about feature creep, Microsoft announced on August 27, 2004 that it was making significant changes. "Longhorn" development basically started afresh, building on the Windows Server 2003 codebase, and re-incorporating only the features that would be intended for an actual operating system release. Some previously announced features, such as WinFS and NGSCB, were dropped or postponed."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Develop..._Windows_Vista

Actually for the vast majority of hardware, Linux (Ubuntu) is easier to use and better supported, as it is bundled into the Operating System. You don't have to hunt down and install drivers as a separate act after installing the OS. The only real exceptions are some brand new hardware and devices that have been coded to Windows or OSX specifically, that require some higher level OS specific software to make use of as intended; even then the Linux community almost always finds a way to work around it and get things functioning.

Additionally older hardware is actually much better supported on Linux. Hardware manufacturers, generally speaking, cease writing/updating older hardware drivers once the hardware gets a several generations behind. Drivers for Linux aren't dependent on the hardware manufacturer to update them, so as long as the hardware is out in the world the driver will be included and loaded automatically.
I have to agree about Ubuntu. Win7 I don't really know about to well. I bought a laptop from a friend a week ago. It is older and a Acer. But it was only 40 bucks. The LCD works but need to be replaced.I thought it might be a driver problem of a loose cable.No dice new screen 80 bucks. So I am into it 120. Some knuckle head put Win7 Ultimate on it. This comp can barely handle it. Nvidia driver was in conflict. Same with the modem. Not that I would dial up.LOL haven't done that since 05.

Ubuntu everything works except the onboard cam and mic. But I am not concerned about those. Since I don't have a OEM OS disc for win7 I am going to wipe the hd.
JustaFramer is offline  
Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #132
Registered User
 
ttd's Avatar
 
Trade: Painting
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Bought my first Mac a year ago. Personally will never go back to PC. Love it. No problems and just get Windows for Mac and you can run anything.
ttd is offline  
Old 10-05-2010, 02:16 AM   #133
tnstars
 
pehsa76's Avatar
 
Trade: hospitality renovations
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: tn
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Apple Verses PC?


a salesman convinced me three years ago to pony up the extra funds for a macbook and he told me that when everybody else is slowing to a crawl because of viruses or their system crashes i would still be operating like new and i gotta say looking back that was one of the best investments i ever made because my mac has been trouble free since the first day i bought it.
pehsa76 is offline  
Old 10-05-2010, 05:48 AM   #134
Pro
 
Solar Control's Avatar
 
Trade: Subcontractor
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 388
Rewards Points: 304

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Somewhat off topic, but for the short term future, as particular websites still require the Windows version of Internet Explorer and certain applications require Windows, the OS still matters. While I prefer the OS X way of doing things, there is no way we would operate without Windows.

Down the road, the operating system may not matter.

Open Source's large goal for domination on the desktop has failed, but it has definitely won the minds of sysadmins around the world. Open source distributors (some) are now focusing on the cloud. While open source and Linux are not equivalent, they are highly synergistic.

Tim O'Reilly's thoughts on the state of the internet operating system are interesting and he outlines them in a somewhat long article, written in two pieces.
__________________
Solar Control, LLC--| --Motorized Shades & Blinds--| --Architectural Window Film/Tint
Solar Control is offline  
Old 10-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #135
Pro
 
JustaFramer's Avatar
 
Trade: Exiled For Life
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lynnwood,WA
Posts: 3,292
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Windows sucks even Goldman Sachs today downgraded M$ stocks because they don't have devices like apple(Unix based OS) or Android(linux based OS) LOL
JustaFramer is offline  
Old 04-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #136
Member
 
ReVisionsWindow's Avatar
 
Trade: Windows and Doors
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 33
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Go with the Mac! Pricey, yeah, but worth every penny. Clean and easy to use -- may take a few days to adapt, if you're used to running windows comps. Great coverage / customer service. I've yet to see anything surpass my (stock) Mac.
ReVisionsWindow is offline  
Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #137
Design + Remodeling
 
BRAVI's Avatar
 
Trade: Interior Design and Remodeling
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 363
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Apple is the only way to go. All their products are trouble free and work very well with each other.
__________________
BRAVI 15900 La Cantera Parkway, Ste 19225, San Antonio, TX 78256 (210) 690-4663

San Antonio Remodeling | Interior Design San Antonio | Facebook | Twitter
BRAVI is offline  
Old 04-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #138
Pro
 
HUI's Avatar
 
Trade: Utility, sitework, and erosion control contractor
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plymouth, IN
Posts: 219
Rewards Points: 178

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Im really looking hard at a Mac. From my understanding the part inside the Mac are not the same. They are all propritery parts. For instance an intel based chip should be an intel based chip right? Well you can not take a chip from a PC and put it in a Mac. The part are different. It is true intel makes the chip but they are not the exact same. Same goes for the hard drive etc.
Here is how I look at it. I could go a junk yard and get a ford engine, chevy transmission, dodge chassis, Lexus axles, Mercedes wheels and if I'm good enough or know someone good enough with cars they could get that car going down the road. Although if you just went to he dealership and pay a bit more you could find a car all made by the same company that will work more efficiently than the junk yard mobile.
To me this is how apple vs PC is. It is true PC work and they are versatile. But they have more problems because they are too open of a system. It take more work to keep them operating then the Mac. The Mac is like buying a car from the dealer. The support is usually better and the car is usually more efficient. Not saying one it better than the other. I think both have their place. But if you dont want to build your own or work on it all the time I think Mac is better in the respect. Personally I have a hp and I'm ready to try a Mac.
HUI is offline  
Old 04-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #139
Pro
 
RobertCDF's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom deck builder
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 9,177
Rewards Points: 1,533

Re: Apple Verses PC?


Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarSA
Apple is the only way to go. All their products are trouble free and work very well with each other.
Really??? Wow you really drank that kool-aid. I recently talked to someone who had his iphone freak out and loose all his songs... No big deal right? Till he synched with itunes and it deleted all of the songs from his computer... Apple told him he would have to rebuy all his music over 6000 songs. Sounds like great products...
RobertCDF is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertCDF For This Useful Post:
MALCO.New.York (04-30-2011)
Old 04-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #140
Pro
 
alongston's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumber
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 103
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Apple Verses PC?


The most important thing you want to ask if you are thinking of getting an apple is if your current programs you use will transfer over okay.

Advertisement

__________________
Denver Plumbers, HVAC Denver
alongston is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?