Yelp Hides 2 Good Reviews And Puts Up 1 S*** Review, What To Do?

Old 01-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Trade: Renovator
Rewards Points: 42

Yelp Hides 2 Good Reviews And Puts Up 1 S*** Review, What To Do?

I'm a one man show and Yelp has one s*** review on show for me and hides two decent ones.

The s*** on is from 5 years ago and the disagreement I had with the home owner was resolved, but the review she wrote was from when she was pi**ed off.

Also realistically even though a complaint was justified from then at the time, I also was having a hard time with the client.

Husband was a stoner and kept changing the scope of the job, he'd had the city round before me and had to pull a deck down as he built it without permits, then he wanted me in to put up a handrail on the front steps that city told him to install.... he told me to build it and then take it down as soon as they'd passed it.

All in all was a bit of a gong show.

But that one and only one star review where client rips me up sure makes me look bad and is not an accurate reflection of how the job turned out at all.

In past Yelp have called me up trying to sell me ads and I chatted a bit and then the review disappeared, other times the good reviews re appeared.

Seems like extortion to me, but what can you do?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Systems
Rewards Points: 1,080

Re: Yelp Hides 2 Good Reviews And Puts Up 1 S*** Review, What To Do?

My guess is if you begin the pay them they will fix things up for you

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Framing, Roofing, Siding
Rewards Points: 942

When I was first trying to build more of an internet presence, I would ask all my customers upon completion of the job if they would like to write a short testimonial for my website, and if they felt inclined to copy/paste to Google and Yelp.

I had at least 4 very positive reviews submitted to Yelp...not one appeared. As it turns out, Yelp calls me monthly regarding advertisements. I asked the rep where all my positive reviews were and was told a huge line of chit about how it's all a computer algorithm that selects reviews to place and if I check back in coming weeks or months, I'll see different ones appear.

Not one ever did so I dropped all efforts to care about Yelp. I'd be willing to bet if I had 4 1-star reviews, they ALL would have made the cut.....

Yelp is becoming more and more irrelevant to consumers outside the coffee/muffin businesses. No longer interested in their nonsense.
Page 77 has the updated, complete list.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattK For This Useful Post:
vancouver dave (01-05-2018)

Old 01-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #4

Trade: Landscaper

Yelp is known for extortion. I would never ask a customer to post their review on Yelp and I don't update my listing anymore. If you pay them you will get the good reviews showing up.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #5

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 6

I have found yelp to just be a terrible company. It is hard to trust anything from them anymore when you realize that the people that pay for their service are the ones that have the highest rating. I have heard a lot of stories about people starting a paying program with them for marketing then when they stop paying a bunch of negative reviews start showing up on the page. Pretty awful business practices.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 882

I am certainly suspicious of Yelp and their marketing efforts. Just like nearly every company that posts reviews or sends referrals, they are out to sell you something. I think the best way to get new business is personal referrals from satisfied customers.

HOWEVER, I do have a small non-construction business that appears on Yelp. Sold it years ago then got it back. Hired a manager that left suddenly so I'm running it again while I contemplate closing it or selling it. I've done nothing to solicit Yelp reviews but the only two that appear are three 5 star reviews. They count it as 2 because 2 are from the same person years apart so they count those two as 1.

I also have another small non-construction business where I'm a silent partner. It also has 2 5-star reviews. My partner does nothing to solicit those either and we would never pay Yelp for anything as he is pretty close to running it strictly on referral basis.

Last edited by GregB; 01-07-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #7
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 522

How are things going on Google Business for you? Ask your clients to leave reviews for you on your Google business page and on Yelp. I think that eventually they will need to update your Yelp page.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: millwork
Rewards Points: 58

Paying Yelp will not help. The reviews that are removed or lowered are done so because they are not frequent Yelp posters. Best you can do is reply to the review if you have not. Then you might try to get Yelp reviews but only from frequent Yelp posters. That is hard so it might take a long time. In the meantime, get great reviews on other web sites.

Ron
Quality Custom Interiors"]Quality Custom Interiors[/URL]
Old 01-12-2018, 02:53 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 552

The reason yelp is reluctant to show good reviews is because your 5-start reviews conflict with the businesses that advertise on Yelp.

Suppose a business with a 4 star rating is paying yelp $3000 a month to be on the top of their web page. It behooves a 4-star business to pay $3,000 a month to advertise while your 5-star business appears one link below his ad.

I was surprised to find out how many customers are savvy about clicking on the pay-per-click ads. A high percent of my customers tell me that they always click on the organic search results because they are aware that pay-per-click is expensive and they feel that the contractors paying for that advertising will be more-expensive.

I have the same problem as every other post. Every time a customer writes a bonafide review it never appears on yelp, or to see the review a person has to click on a tiny very light gray link that says, "See More Reviews". But that link is always below all my bad reviews.

So, I called yelp and spent about $6,000 to see if they really would give me a break. At one time yelp would move the positive reviews to the top for paying customer. That ended when yelp was sued for that practice and had to pay out $50 million. You can find the story on the internet.

I do have some plumber friends who make some really big money by advertising on yelp, but they do it the right way. Stupid me, I paid $6,000 to advertise on yelp and my company has a 1-1/2 star rating. I am so dumb it never dawned on me that people would not even click on my website. I never got one lead.

So, I decided that the only way to make yelp work for me is to create a new name for my company, write fake reviews like every other business does and cross my finger. I have not done that yet!

I see no problem with using a new company name, or even changing the new company's name every year, while keeping my original company name, as long as the new name is registered with the contractor's board and for tax purposes because the people who already know my company would not use yelp, anyway. Yelp is for people who do not know your company, or for people who do know about your company, but use yelp to get your phone number and business address.

It is really sad how yelp ruins businesses, but we have to either live with their rules and lose money, or you have to be creative and do what you have to do to get the business you want.

So, beat me to death for what I do, but for those who complain I am assuming you are bothered for a reason and there are things you can do so you can still get the benefits like some of my friends who are making bank by advertising on yelp.

Last edited by daffysplumbing; 01-12-2018 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:39 AM   #10
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

Yelp makes money shaking down businesses. They have been taken all the way up to the Ninth District Court on this and they won because the corrupt court decided all reviews are their property and can be shown or removed at will for any reason.

I had three phony reviews last I looked. First one was some ahole that tried to bully me into a free bid and wasn't going to take no for an answer. A month or so Yelp called for advertising, I had a 5 and 4 star rating, then the guy with his 1 and outright lies about how the conversation went.

I pointed out they are publishing lies about me and my company so no. A few days later the sales gal called to inform me the problem has been taken care of. Sure enough ahole was gone. But their price was too high so I declined.

Another phony one by a gal taken to court. I had the court paper to prove I won while she claimed she did. Yelp didn't care. Then another claiming I bitched out someone for daring to call. Yelp didn't care.

I regularly get calls from their sales scum and when I tell them they aren't any different than a public restroom wall they try to say it's just public opinion and they don't get involved.

Well, if it was my restroom I would clean up the garbage. They are also very dishonest by letting the driveby smear mongers go on indefinitely with their "review" while you only get one box to defend yourself with. I imagine it puts pressure on business it fork over some payola to help the situation.

I have no idea what's on there now, Yelp is a garbage site and I no longer want anything to do with anyone that values it. I know most people don't know but many are figuring it out and fortunately I don't need massive amounts of leads so I'm not going to let those crooks bend me over.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #11

Trade: Roofing Leads
Rewards Points: 8

Does Yelp let you leave a response to the review?

Personally, if I see a mad customer review followed-up by a calm and professional response from the owner, it actually makes me more impressed with the business.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #12
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi Heiple View Post
Does Yelp let you leave a response to the review?

Personally, if I see a mad customer review followed-up by a calm and professional response from the owner, it actually makes me more impressed with the business.
It doesn't change the rating any and many don't get past the rating. Plus, like I said you only get one box to respond to endless allegations. So it's brain dead to pretend it's anywhere near fair. Only a dishonest sales huckster would say they are fair or reasonable. I never asked them to put my business on their garbage site.

Advertisement