When You Decide To Retire?

Old 12-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
Administrator

Trade: Community Manager
Rewards Points: 12,268

When You Decide To Retire?

When You Decide To Retire?-retired-lge.jpg

Quote:
Thinking about hanging up the tool belt and calling it a career? Sure, youíll still tool around the house (see what we did there?) fixing this and making that, but as far as heading out to the job site every day and dealing with the hassles and headache of running a business, youíre over it. Itís time to retire.

But how? Youíve got equipment, heavy-duty tools, maybe even a building. What do you do with all the stuff that comes with running a contracting business when you are ready to stop running a contracting business? Liquidate Your Assets for a Retirement Bonus
How will you handle your business when it is time to retire?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,090

Re: When You Decide To Retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Attachment 422906

How will you handle your business when it is time to retire?

Around 1982 my grandpa one day took his trowel and threw it off the Scaffold into the weeds and said ďFock it! Iím done!Ē Got in his truck and drove home.....my dad took it over from there.

Thatís kinda my plan. After that shining moment I will sell the equipment and drive into the sunset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
Cricket (12-12-2017), Metro M & L (12-19-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 1,044

Retire? . My obituary will read
90 year old Darren gutter guy passed away suddenly after the ladder he was carrying accidentally fell on him.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Jaws (12-12-2017), Joasis (12-17-2017), Randy Bush (12-13-2017), Robie (12-17-2017)

Old 12-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,556

I will pass away on the jobsite, my oldest will come get my van key out of my pocket, take any tools then take my van to my house and start loading up and hope to get done before my ashes cool down.
The Following User Says Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (12-19-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,132

I am trying to get transitioned over to income from rentals and rehabs rather than customers. When I stop accepting customs I am calling it retirement even if I am putting in 50 hour weeks. I hope the transition is complete in the next 4 or 5 years. I actually hope for sooner but am trying to be realistic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrankSmith For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (12-19-2017), superseal (12-17-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 1,690

2 more years... then taking back my ss money that they stole from me. I set myself to be debt free so I can cruise easy on my ss. I may miss working but won't miss dealing with HO's.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #7

Trade: Painting, Landscaping, & Fence Installation
Rewards Points: 148

will retire once bitcoin sets me free
Old 12-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #8

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Around 1982 my grandpa one day took his trowel and threw it off the Scaffold into the weeds and said ďFock it! Iím done!Ē Got in his truck and drove home.....my dad took it over from there.

Thatís kinda my plan. After that shining moment I will sell the equipment and drive into the sunset

That is funny. "throwing in the towel", "throwing in the trowel".

I get those days every single day of the week and ask myself whether or not working is worth it. Money would not be a problem. What scares me the most is what I would do with my time.

My mother scares me even more. Every time I visit her she tells me to quit working. I tell her that I would not know what to do with myself because I am currently working 6 days a week and I put in very long days. Then, she really really scares me when she tells me that if I retire I will find enough things to do around the house to keep me busy. I will go to a nursing home before I quit my job and start puttering around my house.

I think you can put workers into two categories. There are the workers who work to enjoy their life and workers who love to work with a passion and they will never stop. Some people work into their 90's only because they never slowed down for one minute and they love what they do.

I sort of fall into the 2nd category and the only thing that hinders my belief that I will die working is when I have to deal with the bad ways customers and people in general have changed. People should not be so quick to pass judgement and call other people names, or "people who live in glass houses should not throw stones", or "look in your own back yard before you talk about your neighbor".
Old 12-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 806

I doubt retirement will see me, but I am taking vacations, and doing less physical work...playing like I am a GC now. But I still am hands on with concrete...and that is a tough gig. I will be 57 next month.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
Bainbridge (12-19-2017), Metro M & L (12-19-2017), superseal (12-17-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #10

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 188

If you have a good viable business with multiple employees, you are silly not to set up a plan for current younger employees to buy you out and continue running the business. Managed correctly this can get you a reduced workload as you transition out, some additional retirement income, your current employees will continue to have job security, and your repeat clients will be cared for.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (12-19-2017)