When To Hire Employees

Old 10-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #1

Trade: remodel
Rewards Points: 10

When To Hire Employees

Hello guys,

I am would like to start my own company.

Whats the right structure for a home remodeling.
I notice I am great at acquiring leads, and getting estimates and landing jobs.
However I need employees to work on the jobs while i get more work to keep them busy.

What structure should I instill in my company?

how much should I be paying a project manager,
Foreman, Labor, carpenter. I am in the VA,MD, MD area.
The Following User Says Thank You to droshmo For This Useful Post:
ApparatusTeam (10-27-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2017, 10:37 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,333

Re: When To Hire Employees

Quote:
Originally Posted by droshmo View Post
Hello guys,

However I need employees to work on the jobs while i get more work to keep them busy.

Don't bother with all the legal stuff just starting out, you don't even need insurance. Just find a couple of good guys around the Home Depot parking lot or Craigslist, pay em 350 a day.

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 4,590

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBailey1041 View Post
Don't bother with all the legal stuff just starting out, you don't even need insurance. Just find a couple of good guys around the Home Depot parking lot or Craigslist, pay em 350 a day.

Hot Damm at 350 a day you will probably see me standing in the Home Depot parking lot. At that rate I'll even have my tools with me

LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
prowork (10-15-2017)

Old 10-15-2017, 11:37 PM   #4
New Guy

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by droshmo View Post
Hello guys,

Just curious! Do you have a license?
Old 10-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,686

Why not start with an introduction and let us know what you have accomplished and perhaps where you are so we can better help.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2017, 09:51 AM   #6

I notice introductions are big here, which is understandable.

So my name is Lexington, I help a small business.

We have several guys doing commercial work but I also have 2 guys doing residential remodels <<<<<that is where I want to see the growth.
I have done a few kitchen and bath remodels and one basement.

Pain is that I had to sub out some of the work and I feel like they care more about their on going projects over mine. I figure that with employees and building a good company culture they can care more about their work.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,674

I would have at least 3 months salary in the bank for each employee before you start hiring them. .Otherwise, stick with subs until you can afford full timers, or, even part timers.

Subs and part timers have their interests first, not yours.

I have been doing this for about 20 years. Right now, I have 2 full time employees, before that it was one. Before all that, it was subs and other guys like me, where we worked together on projects.

I would like to hire more guys, but the work load has to justify the expense of employees. I don't want to be laying guys on and off, or, having people milling around with nothing to do. I am currently changing the structure and marketing of my companies to accommodate growth and diversification of what we do so that I can concentrate on the back room management, and, not be involved in the actual hands on part.

Based on the original post, it looks like you have a long way to go before considering having employees. Unless you got a boat load of money in the bank (like maybe $200k to start), I would evolve your company slowly.
The Following User Says Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
droshmo (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #8

Thumbs up

We do not have a boat load of cash, however we are growing slow but want the additional help to grow at a more steady pace. So I may focus more on marketing, lead generation and sales. In the end you make perfect sense. Thank you I will take that information and run with it.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatbay View Post
I would have at least 3 months salary in the bank for each employee before you start hiring them. .Otherwise, stick with subs until you can afford full timers, or, even part timers.

Subs and part timers have their interests first, not yours.

I have been doing this for about 20 years. Right now, I have 2 full time employees, before that it was one. Before all that, it was subs and other guys like me, where we worked together on projects.

I would like to hire more guys, but the work load has to justify the expense of employees. I don't want to be laying guys on and off, or, having people milling around with nothing to do. I am currently changing the structure and marketing of my companies to accommodate growth and diversification of what we do so that I can concentrate on the back room management, and, not be involved in the actual hands on part.

Based on the original post, it looks like you have a long way to go before considering having employees. Unless you got a boat load of money in the bank (like maybe $200k to start), I would evolve your company slowly.
I doubt many of us in here had 200k in the bank before we hired employees.

To me the hurdle to clear when makung a hire is to be certain I can keep them busy
Old 10-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post

To me the hurdle to clear when making a hire is to be certain I can keep them busy
Well, the OP listed the following people for his crew: project manager,
Foreman, Labor, carpenter.

Project Manager: $40 p/h = $83, 000 per year + 20% for taxes, comp, etc. = $99, 600

Foreman: $30 p/h = $62, 400 + %20 = $75, 000

Carpenter: $25.00 p/h = $52, 000 + %20 = $62, 400

Misc Labor: +/- $60, 000 year

Total yearly wages + employment expenses (not include wages or draw for the owner): $ 297, 000.

To keep it simple I did not include: overhead expenses(rent, vehicles, insurance, licensing, legal fees, owner salary, etc)

He made it sound like wanted a fully functioning company with employees and management right off the bat.

Last edited by cwatbay; 10-24-2017 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 10-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 4,590

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician View Post

To me the hurdle to clear when makung a hire is to be certain I can keep them busy

Yea 200k is a dream for most contractors

Another option is to find some guys that want to work part time as well. I have 2 tuckpointers that really donít mind taking days off. Oneís wife is a nurse practitioner who works a ton of OT and makes coin so he loves his days off and the others wife is a manager at target and she does well. So they prefer part time however if I need them they will work full-time

There is a lot of guys out there that need days off due to child care, schooling etc and it is nice to find guys like that.

Another option is to find guys that want to work on Saturdays this way you can get your feet wet at hiring and having employees without actually hiring them. There usually is plenty of people available to work for extra on saturdays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Last edited by Windycity; 10-24-2017 at 10:32 PM.