Well, How’d You Get To That Number? - Page 2 - Business - Contractor Talk

Well, How’d You Get To That Number?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #21
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 3,841
Rewards Points: 4,784

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
I recall getting paid with a CC for a repair job. While I was finishing up the transaction on my phone, the customer picked his phone up and starting tapping it.

He was making a payment for the amount of my invoice to his CC issuer. He didn't have to pay any interest by doing that, but got credit towards airline miles.

He said he does that all the time.... charges to his CC, then immediately makes a payment for the same amount.
No need to pay immediately. I charged $168,000 last year and never paid a cent of interest. I pay between 25-55 days after the purchase, depending on when in the billing cycle the purchase was made.

If it's at the beginning, then after 30 days the bill comes in. Then there is a 25 day "grace period" before the bill is due.

Everyone who is paying interest on their credit cards is funding my free short term loans.
Golden view is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (02-19-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 02-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #22
GC/carpenter
 
Californiadecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 33,184
Rewards Points: 2,814

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
I just never have payment issues either, but I hardly ever have a signed contract, just a written bid so they know how much to write the check.



Course, 95% of my work is for repeat customers or WOM. I'm sure that makes a difference.


Contracts are required by law. I could lose my license. With that said, contracts are never needed until they are. It's like insurance. I've never made a claim on my insurance policy. So I guess I don't need insurance?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Californiadecks is online now  
Old 02-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #23
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 11,673
Rewards Points: 10,896

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
No need to pay immediately. I charged $168,000 last year and never paid a cent of interest. I pay between 25-55 days after the purchase, depending on when in the billing cycle the purchase was made.

If it's at the beginning, then after 30 days the bill comes in. Then there is a 25 day "grace period" before the bill is due.

Everyone who is paying interest on their credit cards is funding my free short term loans.

Um............... I wasn't the one paying on the card. The customer was. What he does with his account is his business, not mine. Whether he paid it immediately or 25 years later.... no skin off my nose.
__________________
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am here.
480sparky is online now  
   
 
Old 02-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #24
Wormdrive Operator
 
heavy_d's Avatar
 
Trade: Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Durham Region, Ontario
Posts: 3,190
Rewards Points: 6,624

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
Which is, amazingly............. exactly what he did!

Sent from MyOuthouse using ToiletPaper 2.1
Sorry for being blunt but it seemed as if you were saying that by paying his cc charges immediately within seconds is how he was able to avoid interest charges. People who do that strike me as being so irresponsible the only way they can remember to pay their card off is to do it the moment they buy something.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
heavy_d is offline  
Old 02-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #25
Pro or somethin'...
 
Anthill's Avatar
 
Trade: Tinwoodman
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alberta
Posts: 607
Rewards Points: 1,252

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_d View Post
Sorry for being blunt but it seemed as if you were saying that by paying his cc charges immediately within seconds is how he was able to avoid interest charges. People who do that strike me as being so irresponsible the only way they can remember to pay their card off is to do it the moment they buy something.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
If they are that irresponsible, good for them that they pay it off like that. At least its a way to deal with it. Too many think it will just go away on its own.
Anthill is offline  
Old 02-19-2018, 11:46 AM   #26
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 11,673
Rewards Points: 10,896

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_d View Post
Sorry for being blunt but it seemed as if you were saying that by paying his cc charges immediately within seconds is how he was able to avoid interest charges. People who do that strike me as being so irresponsible the only way they can remember to pay their card off is to do it the moment they buy something.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I don't get it. How is it 'irresponsible' by using a CC, and making a payment at the same time?

He has the money to pay the invoice in the bank. He also wants to use his CC to rack up air miles. He wants to make an immediate payment to avoid paying interest.

I personally don't git a shďt whether he pays it while I'm running my invoice through, that night, the next day or next week. But I'd hardly call that irresponsible. I'd say it's just damned smart.

I have store credit cards for some local merchants. When I buy something, I use the card, then stop by the customer service on my way out and make a payment equal to the purchase I just made. The reason I do is every time I bring my CC balance down to $0, I get a card for 10% off my next purchase.

Am I irresponsible as well?
__________________
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am here.
480sparky is online now  
Old 02-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #27
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 3,841
Rewards Points: 4,784

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
Um............... I wasn't the one paying on the card. The customer was. What he does with his account is his business, not mine. Whether he paid it immediately or 25 years later.... no skin off my nose.
I'm following you. Are you following me? I'm saying him paying down his balance immediately is not required to avoid interest. CC charges do not begin accruing interest immediately.

In other words, you can make purchases every day, pay once a month, and never pay interest.
Golden view is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
heavy_d (02-19-2018), Jaws (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #28
Wormdrive Operator
 
heavy_d's Avatar
 
Trade: Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Durham Region, Ontario
Posts: 3,190
Rewards Points: 6,624

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
I'm following you. Are you following me? I'm saying him paying down his balance immediately is not required to avoid interest. CC charges do not begin accruing interest immediately.

In other words, you can make purchases every day, pay once a month, and never pay interest.
Exactly. I think paying the balance at the end of the month (1 payment) is smarter than making a gazillion payments through out the month. But enough of this bickering.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
heavy_d is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to heavy_d For This Useful Post:
Frank Castle (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #29
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 11,673
Rewards Points: 10,896

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
I'm following you. Are you following me? I'm saying him paying down his balance immediately is not required to avoid interest. CC charges do not begin accruing interest immediately.

In other words, you can make purchases every day, pay once a month, and never pay interest.

So, why is it the default position that he's irresponsible just because he wants to pay it now instead of tonight, tomorrow or next week?

If I get my phone bill in the mail today, am I irresponsible because I pay it today instead of tonight, tomorrow or next week? It's not going to cost me any more, or less, but it's still paid.
__________________
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am here.
480sparky is online now  
Old 02-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #30
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 3,841
Rewards Points: 4,784

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
So, why is it the default position that he's irresponsible just because he wants to pay it now instead of tonight, tomorrow or next week?

If I get my phone bill in the mail today, am I irresponsible because I pay it today instead of tonight, tomorrow or next week? It's not going to cost me any more, or less, but it's still paid.
Well, I don't know. It's not my position. There IS an advantage to paying it down sooner. One part of your credit score is how high your balance to limit ratio is, even if you pay it off in full every month.
Golden view is offline  
Old 02-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #31
Focusing on solutions.
 
pinwheel's Avatar
 
Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,677
Rewards Points: 1,624

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Contracts are required by law. I could lose my license. With that said, contracts are never needed until they are. It's like insurance. I've never made a claim on my insurance policy. So I guess I don't need insurance?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thankfully, I live in a different world than you do Mike. Not sure I could take all the big brother telling me what I have to do every day that you have to put up with.

As for not needing a contract, till ya need a contract, well, then ya got all the court costs, lawyer fees, ect, to get a judgement. Just cause ya get a judgement, don't mean your collecting on that judgement, without spending more money.

Did I mention, I don't have trouble getting paid? 2times, in 22 years of business, I was stiffed. A whopping total of $2000. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing in my little back country world sir.
pinwheel is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #32
GC/carpenter
 
Californiadecks's Avatar
 
Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Anaheim Hills, California (OC)
Posts: 33,184
Rewards Points: 2,814

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
Thankfully, I live in a different world than you do Mike. Not sure I could take all the big brother telling me what I have to do every day that you have to put up with.



As for not needing a contract, till ya need a contract, well, then ya got all the court costs, lawyer fees, ect, to get a judgement. Just cause ya get a judgement, don't mean your collecting on that judgement, without spending more money.



Did I mention, I don't have trouble getting paid? 2times, in 22 years of business, I was stiffed. A whopping total of $2000. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing in my little back country world sir.


Never once have I been stiffed in 15 years. Never once have I needed a court for anything either. The laws here keep other people from other states from competing here. I'm okay with that. Because I've been here 51 years I've known no other system. It's quite a shock to people from other states. They don't usually last.


Mike.
_______________
Californiadecks is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Californiadecks For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #33
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 5,639
Rewards Points: 3,896

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


In 25 years and over 9000 invoices the only time over Been stiffed was from a few gc's. Never from a homeowner. I just started making some customers sign the estimate. Still about 90% handshake.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #34
Pro
 
Windycity's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,510
Rewards Points: 6,214

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Do you guys that accept cc offer a cash or check discount?

It’s real convenient for the customer to be able to rack up air miles or points on big purchases however doesn’t that cost you the contractor a swipe fee eating into your profit? Or do you just eat the loss?

On my invoice under the payment terms I have quoted price given includes cash or check discount, if paying with credit card please add 2.75% to the estimate

I don’t think any banks will allow you to pay your mortgage for free using a credit card. They charge a fee using credit cards. And I believe the same goes for purchasing a new car. I was told you cannot use a credit card to buy a new car without a fee involved


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is online now  
Old 02-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #35
Pro
 
Bull Trout's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Salish Sea
Posts: 784
Rewards Points: 46

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Do you guys that accept cc offer a cash or check discount?

It’s real convenient for the customer to be able to rack up air miles or points on big purchases however doesn’t that cost you the contractor a swipe fee eating into your profit? Or do you just eat the loss?

On my invoice under the payment terms I have quoted price given includes cash or check discount, if paying with credit card please add 2.75% to the estimate

I don’t think any banks will allow you to pay your mortgage for free using a credit card. They charge a fee using credit cards. And I believe the same goes for purchasing a new car. I was told you cannot use a credit card to buy a new car without a fee involved


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
we charge a 4% convenience fee to use a CC, I'm always surprised how many people still choose to use one
Bull Trout is offline  
Old 02-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #36
Pro
 
Windycity's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,510
Rewards Points: 6,214

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Trout View Post
we charge a 4% convenience fee to use a CC, I'm always surprised how many people still choose to use one


Yea that’s just dumb to pay extra to use a cc.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #37
Pro
 
Jay hole's Avatar
 
Trade: General contractor
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 660
Rewards Points: 1,369

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Yea that’s just dumb to pay extra to use a cc.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


My flooring sub loves that I will pay him with a cc!!!! I get 2% cash back and he probably loses 3%.....fine with me!!!!
Jay hole is offline  
Old 02-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #38
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,912
Rewards Points: 29,472

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay hole View Post
My flooring sub loves that I will pay him with a cc!!!! I get 2% cash back and he probably loses 3%.....fine with me!!!!
Uhm...
KAP is offline  
Old 02-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #39
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 5,639
Rewards Points: 3,896

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


Tomorrow doing a small job. Never met the guy and everything was done through some pics and emails. He won't be there when I do the job. I'm much more comfortable running his credit card before i even do the job than sending him a bill and waiting for the check.

I'll eat the $20 CC fee for peace of mind. Bigger jobs I'll add some money to cover most of the CC fee.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is online now  
Old 03-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #40
New Guy
 
DCDEVINC's Avatar
 
Trade: General Construction
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 60

Re: Well, How’d You Get To That Number?


when i was still doing my own work i was actually requested by a client to sign an unconditional (which is fine) as he handed me a canceled cashiers check. never saw a dime from that job but i learned you can actually cancel a cashiers check!

Advertisement

DCDEVINC is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
do you give out your dunn and bradstreet number ? Spike7 Business 7 08-31-2015 12:06 AM
Sleep Number Bed Jaws Off Topic (Non Trade) 29 03-28-2015 11:23 AM
Wireless number vs Landline number? mightyoakllc Technology 8 12-15-2014 06:38 PM
Opinion on Phone Number power Marketing & Sales 14 09-14-2013 08:31 AM
Phone number logo design JaxBuild Marketing & Sales 6 03-31-2011 08:37 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?