Use Caution When Using Amazon

Old 11-05-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,674

Use Caution When Using Amazon

Beware of Amazon delivered shipments. We order a lot of products off of Amazon for our clients. Prices are good, shipment is quick. However, recently, Amazon is hiring anyone with a drivers license to deliver products.

Already there are numerous reports of drugged out junkies passed out with cars full of Amazon packages to be delivered, but not quite delivered.

Already we have had two shipments of products for client projects that have just disappeared. Our shipping office has hours of operation and staff - 10am to 5pm M-F, 10-4 Sat, Closed Sunday.

However the Amazon drivers apparently can't read the hours on the office door. They come at 7am in the morning or 6:30-7pm at night and report the shipment as "un-deliverable". This last time they delivered it at 630pm on a Friday with a note stating: "left at a secured location". Problem: there is no secured location. Nobody knows where they left it. Can't be found. If it was left on the street at the front door, it was likely stolen.

I spent over an hour on two days trying to get help from Amazon. First time, they said they would tell the driver to deliver only during open hours....that didn't happen. Then I got the "secured location" message, no packages found. So now they are re-shipping everything again. Result: pissed off clients, re-scheduling the projects, wasted time and no real guarantee of getting the products. Oh, and BTW, Amazon wants me to return the products I never got, otherwise they will double charge me.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Self Employed Moron
Rewards Points: 128

Re: Use Caution When Using Amazon

So you expect Amazon to cater to your every need? All my shipments come by FEDeX, USPS or UPS. None have been delivered by drug crazed Amazon delivery people.

You are probably going to have to put up some sort of secure box for them to deliver your packages into.

But I understand your frustration. I've finally got my deliver people trained to put packages in the back porch if they don't fit in the mailbox.

Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
greg24k (11-07-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 266

Amazon uses fedex, ups, or usps to deliver packages. Iíve never heard of them doing delivery in house?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 9,204

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatbay View Post
Beware of Amazon delivered shipments. We order a lot of products off of Amazon for our clients. Prices are good, shipment is quick. However, recently, Amazon is hiring anyone with a drivers license to deliver products.

Already there are numerous reports of drugged out junkies passed out with cars full of Amazon packages to be delivered, but not quite delivered.

Already we have had two shipments of products for client projects that have just disappeared. Our shipping office has hours of operation and staff - 10am to 5pm M-F, 10-4 Sat, Closed Sunday.

However the Amazon drivers apparently can't read the hours on the office door. They come at 7am in the morning or 6:30-7pm at night and report the shipment as "un-deliverable". This last time they delivered it at 630pm on a Friday with a note stating: "left at a secured location". Problem: there is no secured location. Nobody knows where they left it. Can't be found. If it was left on the street at the front door, it was likely stolen.

I spent over an hour on two days trying to get help from Amazon. First time, they said they would tell the driver to deliver only during open hours....that didn't happen. Then I got the "secured location" message, no packages found. So now they are re-shipping everything again. Result: pissed off clients, re-scheduling the projects, wasted time and no real guarantee of getting the products. Oh, and BTW, Amazon wants me to return the products I never got, otherwise they will double charge me.
Don't you install CCTV for a living? Put up a camera...
fjn (11-05-2017), superseal (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
Contractor of the Month

Also WTF do you buy off Amazon for clients?
Old 11-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
So you expect Amazon to cater to your every need? All my shipments come by FEDeX, USPS or UPS. None have been delivered by drug crazed Amazon delivery people.

You are probably going to have to put up some sort of secure box for them to deliver your packages into.

But I understand your frustration. I've finally got my deliver people trained to put packages in the back porch if they don't fit in the mailbox.
Amazon used to deliver via UPS, USPS and FED EX, now they are using "sub-contractors", at least in my area, to deliver packages. That's the problem. These aren't delivery companies, they are "anyone with a driver's license". Problems that I have had are being reported on local radio stations.

Before all this, we had no problem getting our shipments....small shipments, not from our regular suppliers. These are shipped to our warehouse location, not a residential house. There is an office there that signs for our shipments and then delivers them to our warehouse space. That makes it nice, especially for what I am paying to have two spaces there.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Amazon used to deliver via UPS, USPS and FED EX, now they are using "sub-contractors", at least in my area, to deliver packages. That's the problem. These aren't delivery companies, they are "anyone with a driver's license". Problems that I have had are being reported on local radio stations.

Before all this, we had no problem getting our shipments....small shipments, not from our regular suppliers. These are shipped to our warehouse location, not a residential house. There is an office there that signs for our shipments and then delivers them to our warehouse space. That makes it nice, especially for what I am paying to have two spaces there.
If you are a prime member you can request to only use premium shipping services.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDailey View Post
Amazon uses fedex, ups, or usps to deliver packages. Iíve never heard of them doing delivery in house?

Itís called amazon flex. I saw a story on it a few months back about how they were supposedly abusing their drivers.

https://logistics.amazon.com
Old 11-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post

Specialty items our suppliers don't carry, nor do the warehouse stores like HD and Lowes. Not a lot of stuff, but hard to find things that we need for some projects.

For the 100's of thousands of dollars of things we do buy, about 5-10 thousand of that is for stuff we can get off of Amazon. Usually for stuff we don't mark up much, but make up for in labor.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Specialty items our suppliers don't carry, nor do the warehouse stores like HD and Lowes. Not a lot of stuff, but hard to find things that we need for some projects.

For the 100's of thousands of dollars of things we do buy, about 5-10 thousand of that is for stuff we can get off of Amazon. Usually for stuff we don't mark up much, but make up for in labor.
I get odds and sodds off Amazon as well...but not really any core products. For me it's wire ferrules, double sided tape and junk like that...
Old 11-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 266

Quote:

One example is barn door hardware. Itís $150 from Loweís. Itís $60 on amazon sell to customers for $100.

The Following User Says Thank You to RMDailey For This Useful Post:
MarkNiceJob (Yesterday)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:57 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
If you are a prime member you can request to only use premium shipping services.
I will check that out. They did extend our prime membership for another 6 months for screwing up.

All this just happened in the last two weeks, but it fits the scenario of reports by local news stations and pissed customers.

BTW, I didn't request Flex Shipping, it just came that way. No statement or notice that they were going to ship it this way.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,404

Wtf do clients have from Amazon.... I do a lot of things but mainly tools and theyíre always delivered to my home
Old 11-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #14
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
I will check that out. They did extend our prime membership for another 6 months for screwing up.

All this just happened in the last two weeks, but it fits the scenario of reports by local news stations and pissed customers.

BTW, I didn't request Flex Shipping, it just came that way. No statement or notice that they were going to ship it this way.
My friend had a lot of missing packages so he had his shipping restricted to only premium services. But you loose Sat/Sunday delivery.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
I get odds and sodds off Amazon as well...but not really any core products. For me it's wire ferrules, double sided tape and junk like that...
We don't do core products either. But for instance, I needed forty plug in LED flood lights for a construction project, plus the 50ft cords with plugs every 10 ft. No main suppliers of mine had it, not even electrical suppliers on line (unless you want to pay $100 per light).

Amazon had it, $20 a light, plus the cords. But they also shipped it to me UPS.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,674

I always tell customers anything special order you will be notified once it has come in and we will schedule the work.

Even with major delivery companies they have employees who steal packages

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixnbux View Post
Wtf do clients have from Amazon.... I do a lot of things but mainly tools and theyíre always delivered to my home
I hear you. Problem is, a lot of our electronic items and some specialty products, our clients (Business and contractor clients) can buy off of Amazon for about 20% below my lowest possible price.

To counter this, I tell my clients, that if they want, they can buy that item (exact make, model, etc.) from Amazon and get F'd in the A if anything goes wrong. Or, they can pay us another 10% and we will warranty that item and labor for 1 year. Anything goes wrong, we fix it, not them.

Now this is only for items from our manufacturers and suppliers, that can be had from Amazon. I get the items from my sources for these types of projects.
The Following User Says Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
kixnbux (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 1,336

depends on where you live. In Vancouver about half my orders are shipped by Amazon delivery minions.
I HATE most AMAZON DELIVERY PEOPLE
Why I hate them?

They ask who you are when they deliver the package and what relation you have to that person. I tell them it none of their business.

Then if you do tell them they stand there looking at the machine trying to figure it out. This results in a door slam in the face.

They also walk into my backyard and put at the back door. so it's safe.. can't wait to catch them when they do this.

but like cwatbay said the prices.... damn you can save some money on odd stuff.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #19
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
We don't do core products either. But for instance, I needed forty plug in LED flood lights for a construction project, plus the 50ft cords with plugs every 10 ft. No main suppliers of mine had it, not even electrical suppliers on line (unless you want to pay $100 per light).

Amazon had it, $20 a light, plus the cords. But they also shipped it to me UPS.
You sell those to your clients?
Old 11-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Don't you install CCTV for a living? Put up a camera...
The facility where our shipments come has a lot of cams. But I simply rent two warehouse/storage spaces from them. I don't think they have a cam watching their front door. But I will check on that.

Advertisement