To UNION Or Not To UNION

Old 07-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
JumboJack for president!

Trade: Hilti walking billboard

To UNION Or Not To UNION

I have some new things in the works and it is making me think. Currently i do not use union workers. I have been using reliable guys who have been around through thick and thin. My problem is that my dad is in the Carpenters union, all his friends are union electricians, plumbers, bricklayers, etc. I don't know if i should go the way of the union, or keep going the way i am. The union has been good. Any thoughts? Am i considered a scab?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Pro Framer Dude

Trade: framing/remodeling

Re: To UNION Or Not To UNION

Bill you did it!
You now have 25 posts!
Show us those pictures so that we all may worship.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanadooLTD View Post
I have some new things in the works and it is making me think. Currently i do not use union workers. I have been using reliable guys who have been around through thick and thin. My problem is that my dad is in the Carpenters union, all his friends are union electricians, plumbers, bricklayers, etc. I don't know if i should go the way of the union, or keep going the way i am. The union has been good. Any thoughts? Am i considered a scab?
As a business owner I think uisng Union workers is going to be a mistake, since the guys you have been using have been reliable and with you through thick and thin I would stick with them.

What advantage are you going to get by using Union workers?

Will they be better workers?

Will they cost more. less, or the same?

Will they be more or less productive?

Will they do more than one trade?
The Following User Says Thank You to bwalley For This Useful Post:
XanadooLTD (07-27-2009)
Old 07-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor

You will probably pay more and get less using union workers. They get paid the same amount regardless as to whether or not they meet production standards. The down side to unions has always been that they don't motivate people to do more and get recognized. They know they will get paid the set rate for the trade they practice whether they excel at it or not. Obviously this usually results in union guys doing the bare minimum they have to. In my opinion if you have two guys that have been with you through "thick and thin" and meet or exceed your production standards you owe it to them to stick with them as long as they continue to do so. They have stake in you and your company and will have your best interests in mind. The union will not.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ARI001 For This Useful Post:
bwalley (07-27-2009), MZ-HANDYMAN (07-27-2009), XanadooLTD (07-27-2009)
Old 07-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
JumboJack for president!

That is what i thought. When i open my mouth about the union my mom is the biggest pain. She is a retired teacher. The teachers are worse than the teamsters it seems. I was just thinking should i honor the union, or stick with what has been working. Also i have a friend i grew up with that is a union electrician. He doesn't have a problem doing things for me, i just dont want any blow up rats at my sites.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
Priced In

Trade: Exiled For Life

I make more than my non union counterpart. I work for a company that cares about my safety. They also bid their jobs according to the time it takes to do the job safely. And yes that takes more time than the ****ing hack in the box slashers. I work for a multinational company. To keep my job I know footing to finish. I also keep on schedule or beat it. Because when OT is authorized I get. Don't you little boy's know that most OT guys make 90 to 100k a year. What do you make hacks make?

Last edited by JustaFramer; 07-27-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
Pompass Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaFramer View Post
I make more than my non union counterpart. I work for a company that cares about my safety. They also bid their jobs according to the time it takes to do the job safely. And yes that takes more time than the ****ing hack in the box slashers. I work for a multinational company. To keep my job I know footing to finish. I also keep on schedule or beat it. Because when OT is authorized I get. Don't you little boy's know that most OT guys make 90 to 100k a year. What do you make hack ***** make?
Since you are so ******* good why don't you own your own company?

There are those people smart enough to get licensed like I am in 3 different trades and run my own business, and then there are those people who have to work for someone else like you, I am glad you have the union to protect you.

BTW I make way more than 100K a year.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Pompass Ass

BTW I wouldn't piss on a Teamster if his face was on fire.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bwalley For This Useful Post:
dprimc (06-27-2010), MZ-HANDYMAN (07-27-2009)
Old 07-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
JumboJack for president!

So just a framer votes go union i guess. If your son went non union would you p*7sed? Or it really doesnt matter. I get the feeling that the union is like a football team. All for one type stuff.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #10
JumboJack for president!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
BTW I wouldn't piss on a Teamster if his face was on fire.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #11

Trade: Electrical Contractor

Quote:

There are those people smart enough to get licensed like I am in 3 different trades and run my own business, and then there are those people who have to work for someone else like you, I am glad you have the union to protect you.

bwalley,

You have a lot to learn. I have license in 9 states including yours. Many people way more competant and smarter than you, make a CHOSE not to open a business..... Albert Einstein was one of the smartest people to walk the face of this earth and he never ran for President or own a futune 500 company. But I guess only business people count in your eyes.

BTW, keep earning over 100K, My government needs more taxes and as the Republicans continue to break unions and drive down the wages of workers in America, people like you will get to foot the bill........
The Following User Says Thank You to westernexplorer For This Useful Post:
mrmike (08-03-2009)
Old 07-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
Pompass Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernexplorer View Post
bwalley,

You have a lot to learn. I have license in 9 states including yours. Many people way more competant and smarter than you, make a CHOSE not to open a business..... Albert Einstein was one of the smartest people to walk the face of this earth and he never ran for President or own a futune 500 company. But I guess only business people count in your eyes.

BTW, keep earning over 100K, My government needs more taxes and as the Republicans continue to break unions and drive down the wages of workers in America, people like you will get to foot the bill........
What license do you have in Florida?

I can buy licenses in a bunch of other states if I wanted to.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #13

Trade: Electrical Contractor

Quote:
What license do you have in Florida?

I can buy licenses in a bunch of other states if I wanted to.

The one your not qualified to obtain, Bret.... State Certified Electrical Contractor.....by examination.

BTW, you cant buy the licenses I have
Old 07-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #14
Priced In

Quote:

Sometimes holding a card is the price you must pay to play with the big boys.

Hey I am glad you make over a 100k and are licensed in 3 trades. I don't nor care what your three trades are. I work for a GC that self performs alot of the work thier bid. I build hi-rises. You, I don't care what you do. The union doesn't force my employer to keep me employed. I make sure I keep myself employed. I live in a right to work state. Nobody but me makes sure I have money in my pocket.

All the small to medium sized builders are broke and bagging for work. I have not been without money. Thank God but I do ensure I keep my money flowing.

I adapted. You I have a feeling would be flat assed on your back in gutter when no one wants your product. Heres a quarter super size it would you bitch.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #15
Pompass Ass

Quote:
Sometimes holding a card is the price you must pay to play with the big boys.

Hey I am glad you make over a 100k and are licensed in 3 trades. I don't nor care what your three trades are. I work for a GC that self performs alot of the work thier bid. I build hi-rises. You, I don't care what you do. The union doesn't force my employer to keep me employed. I make sure I keep myself employed. I live in a right to work state. Nobody but me makes sure I have money in my pocket.

All the small to medium sized builders are broke and bagging for work. I have not been without money. Thank God but I do ensure I keep my money flowing.

I adapted. You I have a feeling would be flat assed on your back in gutter when no one wants your product. Heres a quarter super size it would you bitch.
I am A Building Contractor, A/C Contractor and Plumbing Contractor, I had to take an extensive test and pass it to get licensed.

I hire people to work for me and run off the whiners.

I am a hands on contractor, I don't have any of my people do anything that I can't do.

You are a Union framer, do you do anything other than wood framing?
Old 07-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #16
Priced In

Quote:
So just a framer votes go union i guess. If your son went non union would you p*7sed? Or it really doesnt matter. I get the feeling that the union is like a football team. All for one type stuff.
No I wouldn't. Having worked/contracted non-union for ten years of my career. I could not.

As a contractor you should look at union employees as a labor pool you can't get with a ad in the paper. You are not forced to keep a lazy employee. You can build a quality employee base. How many employees do you have that went to school to be a tradesman?
The Following User Says Thank You to JustaFramer For This Useful Post:
XanadooLTD (07-27-2009)
Old 07-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
Priced In

Quote:
I am A Building Contractor, A/C Contractor and Plumbing Contractor, I had to take an extensive test and pass it to get licensed.

I hire people to work for me and run off the whiners.

I am a hands on contractor, I don't have any of my people do anything that I can't do.

You are a Union framer, do you do anything other than wood framing?
Any what make you think it is any different?

Any no I am not at union framer. I was a non union residential wood framer. I am however a Union Carpenter. That means concrete to finish work. Currently I am doing FINISH WORK under self perform for a multinational GC.
So really tin bender I don't care. Go balance a system little man.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: One on top of Two

Quote:
That is what i thought. When i open my mouth about the union my mom is the biggest pain. She is a retired teacher. The teachers are worse than the teamsters it seems. I was just thinking should i honor the union, or stick with what has been working. Also i have a friend i grew up with that is a union electrician. He doesn't have a problem doing things for me, i just dont want any blow up rats at my sites.

As a former union member I would say stick with what works and stay away from the unions. Over 87% + of all construction workers in the US are NON-Union. Btw, if they bring their inflatible pet rat, do what I did. Get an inflatible CAT

Last edited by Brickie; 07-27-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #19
Pompass Ass

Quote:
No I wouldn't. Having worked/contracted non-union for ten years of my career. I could not.

As a contractor you should look at union employees as a labor pool you can't get with a ad in the paper. You are not forced to keep a lazy employee. You can build a quality employee base. How many employees do you have that went to school to be a tradesman?
If I hire a Union guy to do steel framing, is he going to do other crafts as well or just 1 craft?

I have my framer do both steel and wood, he cut concrete today, helped a laboror clean up some concrete, picks up trash or anything else that needs to be done, I am also teaching him A/C as well.

How would a Union worker handle the above scenario?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #20
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster

Quote:
If I hire a Union guy to do steel framing, is he going to do other crafts as well or just 1 craft?

I have my framer do both steel and wood, he cut concrete today, helped a laboror clean up some concrete, picks up trash or anything else that needs to be done, I am also teaching him A/C as well.

What makes you think you can teach?

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.