Turning Down Would After Site Inspection.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:08 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Brick/Stone Mason
Rewards Points: 1,286

Turning Down Would After Site Inspection.

Hey All,
How do you go about informing a homeowner/Gc etc, that you do not you will not be providing an estimate for their project.
I normally just send a polite email informing them that I will not be providing pricing for their project.
I tend not to go into details as to why, ( for me it is attitude from the client or first impression, work access, over all condition of the rest of the property, their are a few others too)
The size of the job is never really a factor to me if the price is right, everyone likes a little 1 day filler job or 1/2 day work on a long weekend right?

How do you go about this without multiple followup emails from the homeowner?

Thanks in advance.
Tony.

Last edited by S.U.M; 05-25-2017 at 07:10 AM. Reason: missing info

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2017, 07:23 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 22,086

Re: Turning Down Would After Site Inspection.

Make it non-confrontational and cut it off from the beginning... Simply tell them that after considering all the factors that you determined their project was not a match for your business or schedule, and wanted to get back to them right away so they could continue their search, thank them for taking the time to meet, and wish them good luck.

At the most, you'll have one more email to address where you just reiterate the same, and after that, there's no longer any reason to keep answering them... unless they REALLY want you, they'll get the idea... and if they want you THAT bad, add a premium to make whatever reservation you have worth your time...

Advertisement

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Bainbridge (06-07-2017), CharlieDelta (05-26-2017), conductor (05-25-2017), EthanB (05-25-2017), MattK (05-25-2017), S.U.M (05-25-2017), SmallTownGuy (05-25-2017), TxElectrician (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 4,538

I always just say that i am busy and have too much work lined up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,102

I've used several.

....... at this time I don't believe I would do a good enough job for your project. So I will gracefully bow out of your bidding phase and let you focus on others that can do a good job for you. Thanks for your time.

..........since we spoke last several estimates I have out cam back with signed contracts and checks. So I'm under obligation to do alot of work and it wouldn't be fair to hold up your project any longer so I will gracefully bow out of your bidding phase and let you focus on other fine contractors to work for you.

.........after some research I'm finding that I am not that familiar with the process of stapling up bubble gum wrappers for wall coverings that you would like to do after seeing it on Pinterest. Perhaps their are other contractors more specialized on Pinterest ideas that can help you better. Thank you for your time.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #5
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,892

If I don't wanna do the job for someone, I just tell them "sorry, can't help you with your remodeling project... have jobs already booked for the rest of the year and I don't take any extra work"
Old 06-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 160

I get rejected by subs I've never met all the time. They usually never respond back to my phone calls or emails. When they do, they just say they're too busy. I'm always looking for new subs because the previous ones either sucked or vanished. When I get a good one I reuse them if I can. I don't even look for cheaper bids because finding a good sub is hard. Sometimes they want the job but too busy to meet my schedule.

I have a rejection voice mail from a tile guy from a few weeks ago that's pretty special. Wish I could post it here.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
I get rejected by subs I've never met all the time. They usually never respond back to my phone calls or emails. When they do, they just say they're too busy. I'm always looking for new subs because the previous ones either sucked or vanished. When I get a good one I reuse them if I can. I don't even look for cheaper bids because finding a good sub is hard. Sometimes they want the job but too busy to meet my schedule.

I have a rejection voice mail from a tile guy from a few weeks ago that's pretty special. Wish I could post it here.
What did he say?
The Following User Says Thank You to Unger.const For This Useful Post:
NJGC (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Specialty Structure Aluminum
Rewards Points: 473

We run into theeeese all the time. Over 25% of the inbound inquiries we get are classified as 'out of service area' or 'services not offered'. Some of the 'out of service area's' are legit hours away, others are in our 4 county area, but many we don't offer the particular service in that area. There's also some services that are synonymous; as in you would expect our company to do it but we don't (these are a lot of calls. ). Kind of like a roofer that doesn't do shingle roofs, they're still going to get a boatload of calls of people wanting the shingles. And then, my sales reps qualify strong on the phone, so many don't qualify. Ultimately we have to tell many people we aren't bidding. It usually comes down to, we are no longer accepting projects of this scope as we are too booked, or we only bid these particular projects if you have a scope of work packet and plans from a licensed design professional. The conversations are never easy, and very frustrating though. Everyone expects us to be thrilled that they called and drop what we are doing and head out.

Advertisement

Facebook Business Owner Support Group (over $1 million revenue): Right now its just me and my close circle of mostly home service biz owners talking about growing our businesses, and dealing with the frustration of not having anyone to tell us "good job" at the end of the day. Feel free to join!