Time Tracking App

Old 02-25-2018, 06:36 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 406

Time Tracking App

Does anyone have a recommendation for a time tracking app? We have just started a time and material job. It will be about a 3 month project. I was just thinking if they could keep their time, on their phone, and then send it to me, it might be a better system.

I did do a search, but didn't have the results I had hoped for.

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 988

Re: Time Tracking App

Tsheets

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
builditguy (02-25-2018), TNTSERVICES (02-26-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 598

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation for a time tracking app? We have just started a time and material job. It will be about a 3 month project. I was just thinking if they could keep their time, on their phone, and then send it to me, it might be a better system.

I did do a search, but didn't have the results I had hoped for.

Thanks
Is the time tracking app for you, or for the customer?

The problem I can imagine with a time tracking app is about whether or not the persons using the app will enter the data, or whatever they have to do when they are supposed to do it.

For time and material jobs, I send the customer an email at the end of every day, or the following morning. The emails contain a running total for the job for the end of each day. So, if I have 5 workers on a job I put the exact time each worker arrived, when he stopped working, his hourly rate, total for the day and I add the materials, I send a copy of all bills I paid every day. When workers show up on the job at different times I make sure my daily report is accurate. This way, at the end of each day the customer knows what he is paying for, the total and there is no surprise at the end of the job. It also seems to be a very honest way to do business.

On each daily report, I also add my 15% markup for labor and materials. So, If I am paying my worker $45 per hour, I put down $120 per hour on the daily report and I add 15% to the $120 plus the 15% for materials. I also add 15% to all subcontractor bills.

I think people waste too much time trying to get their cell phones do do everything. The app is only as good as the data that was entered. I like paper because I can see the overall picture much easier than trying to analyze a project on multiple screens.

Last edited by daffysplumbing; 02-25-2018 at 09:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to daffysplumbing For This Useful Post:
builditguy (02-25-2018)

Old 02-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
Pro

We get these jobs about twice a year now. Customers have a project they want done. Time and material. No bids.

I have been keeping track of everyone's time on paper. It works fine, but there are times I'm filling out an invoice and don't have the paper in front of me.

I send an invoice every 2 weeks. It will have the same information as yours, just 2 weeks worth of information.

You are right. If someone doesn't enter the information, the time tracking will be off. That really goes for paper also. If someone doesn't write it down, then you have to try and remember when they left or showed up. It's easy to say, they just need to be more diligent, but we all know how that goes.

I think I would use the app the most. For everyone else, they are pretty much on the job all day. I will have multiple times throughout the day when I will need to leave. I thought about this the other day. I left the job 2 times, during the day, for about 2 hours each time.
This customer won't question my time, but in the future, someone might. Usually after they see the first bill, they don't question anything. I try to be pretty specific on the bill.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
We get these jobs about twice a year now. Customers have a project they want done. Time and material. No bids.

I have been keeping track of everyone's time on paper. It works fine, but there are times I'm filling out an invoice and don't have the paper in front of me.

I send an invoice every 2 weeks. It will have the same information as yours, just 2 weeks worth of information.

You are right. If someone doesn't enter the information, the time tracking will be off. That really goes for paper also. If someone doesn't write it down, then you have to try and remember when they left or showed up. It's easy to say, they just need to be more diligent, but we all know how that goes.

I think I would use the app the most. For everyone else, they are pretty much on the job all day. I will have multiple times throughout the day when I will need to leave. I thought about this the other day. I left the job 2 times, during the day, for about 2 hours each time.
This customer won't question my time, but in the future, someone might. Usually after they see the first bill, they don't question anything. I try to be pretty specific on the bill.
I feel like I am disciplined to do my record keeping every day and having daily accurate paperwork is a priority. I like to do my paperwork every day because there will be less mistakes when everything is fresh in my mind. I fold an 8 x 10 paper every day and put it in my wallet to write my notes on. My notes include phone numbers I want to keep and all other types of information that I want to remember. I even track what I eat and my blood sugar level on the same paper and then I transfer that to my desktop database for the report I give to my doctor. When you track everything daily the employee payroll will be more-accurate and you will save money. I think paper is much easier to work with that having separate apps for every task.

I've had several employees put apps on my phone and they never worked for me. One app an employee loved was a program for tracking canvassers called Spotio. The app worked great and it tracked every house the canvassers stopped at. The problem was that the data was useless unless someone took the time to analyze it and transfer it into a database that could generate the types of reports that were worthwhile. To use the app was mind-boggling and not worth the effort. It was much easier to have the canvassers give me a simple written report. The app tracked who was home, who was not home, etc. and that information was useless because we did not re-canvass homes in the same area because if the customer was not home the first time they probably had a job and would not be home the 2nd time.

Last edited by daffysplumbing; 02-25-2018 at 10:59 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to daffysplumbing For This Useful Post:
builditguy (02-26-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
Pro

Different things work for different people. If that works best for you, great. That may work best for me. I won't know until I try it another way.

For years I resisted doing much with my phone. Now I try to be more open to change.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Whatever the customer wants
Rewards Points: 2,174

I use Toggl (https://toggl.com/). I find it really nice to be able to track projects and then I just download the .csv sheet when needed or just go to the reports section online. The paid version has a few more bells and whistles that would be nice, but I don't find the necessary as of yet. If I had a crew I would be using the paid app though.

If you're using QuickBooks for payroll though, I think TSheets has a direct import for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Philament For This Useful Post:
builditguy (02-26-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 1,424

I've been using Hours Tracker. The geo fencing works great for those of us who can't seem to remember to clock in and out. I'm not sure if the company side of it would meet your needs, as I only use it to track my own hours.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....Android&hl=en
builditguy (02-26-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 04:49 PM   #9

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 20

Also an hours tracker guy, works well. When we I ran a three man crew I had each guy use it and export the hours. It worked well for us. The geo fencing auto clock in clock out worked pretty well too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to micahmye For This Useful Post:
builditguy (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 03:52 AM   #10
Pro

I downloaded the Tsheets. Seems like it will be fine. It is a product of Quickbooks, so that may come in handy.
So far, I can't log in. I sent them a message to find out why.

If I can't get logged in, or they don't respond, before long, I'll try one of the others.

I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:15 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
I downloaded the Tsheets. Seems like it will be fine. It is a product of Quickbooks, so that may come in handy.
So far, I can't log in. I sent them a message to find out why.

If I can't get logged in, or they don't respond, before long, I'll try one of the others.

I appreciate everyone's input.
the two times we had problems they were helpful,

you can set the app to remind everyone to punch in, I require the gps tracker to be on for the guys to punch in so if they forget to punch out I can see what time they left the site.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
builditguy (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 748

We just recently started using TSheets. It works very well and the options seem almost limitless. It can be a great tool to track types of work to see how you did against your estimate if you want.

You can create drop down menus with options (Cabinetry, paint, trim, etc) to select from as you clock in and switch between trades to keep up with your various hours. Right now we aren't implementing that option just yet, but we plan to start doing that in the near future once everyone is being consistent with remembering to clock in and out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xtrememtnbiker For This Useful Post:
builditguy (02-26-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 05:40 PM   #13
Pro

They got back to me. I downloaded the app. Usually you can create an account from there. For this app, you need to go online to set up an account.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 748

The desktop version of the site is where I do all the behind the scenes stuff. You can do a few little things on the app but after you're used to the desktop version you won't do anything other than clock in and out on your phone, and then make a note of any changes to do later at the computer. IMO, it's a waste of time otherwise.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:30 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Trout View Post
the two times we had problems they were helpful,

you can set the app to remind everyone to punch in, I require the gps tracker to be on for the guys to punch in so if they forget to punch out I can see what time they left the site.
What happens when an employee

does not want to put a tracking app on his phone,

tells you he forgot to charge his phone,

forgot it at home, in another vehicle,

the phone uses up his bandwidth,

he doesn't want to be tracked when he is not working and

why does the app seem to work on every other phone but his.

I gave 4 company smart phones to employees to carry in their vehicles and every employee pretty much refused to take the phones because they know the phones can be set up to listen to their conversations, telephone calls, messaging, video, etc., I will even bet there are laws against making employees put apps on their phones for the benefits for your business. That is all I need is another lawsuit!
Old 02-26-2018, 10:51 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffysplumbing View Post
What happens when an employee

does not want to put a tracking app on his phone,

tells you he forgot to charge his phone,

forgot it at home, in another vehicle,

the phone uses up his bandwidth,

he doesn't want to be tracked when he is not working and

why does the app seem to work on every other phone but his.

I gave 4 company smart phones to employees to carry in their vehicles and every employee pretty much refused to take the phones because they know the phones can be set up to listen to their conversations, telephone calls, messaging, video, etc., I will even bet there are laws against making employees put apps on their phones for the benefits for your business. That is all I need is another lawsuit!
App only gps tracks when they are punched in,

employees only get paid when they sign in, same as having to punch a time clock, I can alter their hours if needed because they "forgot", usually saying lets not make a habit of this is enough, with the reminder we mostly deal with missed sign outs at the end of the day

the trade off for having the app on their phones is they can text during the day, within reason (i know, what is reasonable?) it hasn't been an issue so far, I trust they won't be sending 500 texts a day, and they trust I won't be going all big brother on them, the leads get phones, no one has ever raised the concern of them being used to spy on them
The Following User Says Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
builditguy (02-27-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 07:00 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 260

I also recommend Tsheets. I use it only for my own solo time tracking and found that it syncs nicely with Quickbooks to pull in my different jobs. Also, since I perform multiple jobs/tasks in a day I can easily switch to different service items as I go. I can now do my billing for time in a matter of minutes rather than transposing written records into Quickbooks.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #18

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 18

Just getting started with using busybusy. Will report back

Advertisement