Sole Proprietor Bidding PW - Business - Contractor Talk

Sole Proprietor Bidding PW

Old 11-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #1

Trade: Underground Utilities

Sole Proprietor Bidding PW

My husband (and I) is a sole proprietor of his company. Can I legally help him on the job if he gets the bid? It is in public works for WA.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 4,094

Re: Sole Proprietor Bidding PW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
My husband (and I) is a sole proprietor of his company. Can I legally help him on the job if he gets the bid? It is in public works for WA.
Your opening line does not make sense, That said your husband can hire the queen of England if he wants (she does need to have a work authoritarian from the goverment) and a valid s/s number.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to sunkist For This Useful Post:
heavy_d (11-28-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 3,318

What she is probably asking is if her husband gets the job as a PW contractor, can she help him to some undisclosed degree. Whether this is for pay and whether she is an officer if they are incorporated is also undisclosed.

This is a legal question, and probably best left to a lawyer or the contract administrator for the contract. But if she is an officer or an owner she can help and not run a foul of the PW laws. It is very likely she is an owner.

If she is neither an owner or officer, she must be paid PW wages while on the job if her duties at the time are classified as job site duties. If she comes out to bring him lunch and to sign checks and forms, that would not require PW. But if she is running a shovel, holding a grade stick or doing confined space watch, then she would require pay as per PW.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anti-wingnut For This Useful Post:
jhark123 (12-01-2017)

Old 12-01-2017, 02:20 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Pro Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,622

http://www.lni.wa.gov/IPUB/700-032-000.pdf

see section 10 (c) on pg 15.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

Trade: Windows
Rewards Points: 306

Whisper
Your question should be: are my husband and I foolish for being a sole prop and not an actual LLc that will protect our personal assets???? Answer is YES ......
You are playing with fire !!!! Open an LLC, they are very inexpesive to open. No excuses for that kind of irresponsibility.

Last edited by Windowcentric; 12-05-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,096

We've done PW jobs in the past. Everyone had to be classified per the PW guidelines. The guy is a sole proprietor, that's it. He can hire subs (maybe like his wife), but they also must meet the requirements of the PW specs.

There is a lot for interpretation here....what does she mean by "help". Other than filling out paperwork or picking up materials (gray area), there isn't much she can do without meeting PW guidelines for working on the project.

Advertisement