Sales: That Awkward Moment After You Give Them The Price

Old 02-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Specialty Structure Aluminum
Rewards Points: 473

Sales: That Awkward Moment After You Give Them The Price

On their first call you've told them that their project was going to cost 15-20k range, and they went ahead with scheduling an estimate. You're sitting at the table across from Mr./Ms. jones. You've given an overview of your services, and your reputation. Discussed the details of their project. You give a quick overview of all the points and say "you project will be $17,000". The pause. Look at eachother, and let how a big old Hmmmmmm, and look at you. Now what do you say? How do you close them?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 12

Re: Sales: That Awkward Moment After You Give Them The Price

so here's the contract for the project.....

what questions do you have?

I want to schedule this for ***xx and have it finished by ******

if you are still getting the doe in the headlight look you dropped the ball somewhere....

Advertisement

Californiadecks (02-22-2017), Jaws (02-23-2017), NJGC (02-23-2017), TNTSERVICES (10-12-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post

if you are still getting the doe in the headlight look you dropped the ball somewhere....

Getting passed the doe in the headlight look is easy, but what is going to lead to a closing?

Old 02-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowork View Post
getting passed the doe in the headlight look is easy, but what is going to lead to a closing?

you!!!!!
Californiadecks (02-22-2017), CharlieDelta (02-23-2017), Jaws (02-23-2017), pinwheel (10-09-2017), Workingmanvan (02-28-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
you!!!!!
YOU + What words?
Old 02-22-2017, 10:52 PM   #6
Fire up the BBQ

Quote:
YOU + What words?

there are no magic words

your people do not have confidence in you
NJGC (02-23-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 11:56 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 194

once you get em along side the boat, don't let them jump off the hook, have the net ready.
The Following User Says Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
Jay hole (02-23-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 11:58 PM   #8
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 672

By the time I leave the clients home, they believe I'm the ONLY company that can do this the way it's supposed to be done. The biggest thing is how you explain the process. Clients can smell an unconfident contractor. Especially clients who run a business. Which is the majority of mine.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Californiadecks For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (02-23-2017), Defenestrate (02-23-2017), Jaws (02-23-2017), NJGC (02-23-2017), Ohio painter (02-23-2017), PlumberIL (03-17-2017), TNTSERVICES (10-12-2017), TxElectrician (02-24-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 12:03 AM   #9
Pro

personally, before i showed them the price...i had to sell them on the advantages and benefits of hiring my company over my competition. having a stash of pictures, reference letters from old customers helps a bunch.

When do you talk price? Remember, sell on your feet, talk price on your seat! Sell yourself, the finished product and once you have a commitment, then present price.
The Following User Says Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 02:11 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 6,406

I've found that I'd you give them a price in a matter of fact way, it is usually accepted with few questions. If you sort of give a price, or meekly present it, they will be as unsure of you as you seem to be.

That being said, I sweat it every time I give any price when it is over a couple grand, or it is a new customer. Just don't let them know it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
CharlieDelta (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:15 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 22,246

Quote:
On their first call you've told them that their project was going to cost 15-20k range, and they went ahead with scheduling an estimate. You're sitting at the table across from Mr./Ms. jones. You've given an overview of your services, and your reputation. Discussed the details of their project. You give a quick overview of all the points and say "you project will be $17,000". The pause. Look at eachother, and let how a big old Hmmmmmm, and look at you. Now what do you say? How do you close them?
A lot of good advice above...

If you're having trouble at that stage, assume the close (it's WHY you're there)... people buy based on Company, Product, Service and Price... in that order...

You need to place the emphasis on the first three and hopefully you've laid the ground-work on pricing during your discussion (i.e. - price-list [no numbers just pulled from the air], pricing integrity - no fake "manager or first-night discounts" where you raise the price only to lower it again [customer is left with the impression - how deep does THAT well go], years of experience pricing so you know your numbers and pitfalls to look for, no low-ball numbers to get the business and then hit 'em with change order after change order, third-party consumer advocate reference on why the lowest bid carries the most risk, if a referral building on friends/families experience and why they chose you, referral network keeps you busy and there's a reason for that [the people you know have already interview you and others and chose you],the price either makes sense or it doesn't, etc.)... when you get to pricing, if you're having "awkward pauses", transition to discussing how that price is going to be paid and the next step to get the process going and assume the sale...

But it doesn't negate the fact that you're going to have to ask for the order, and the more you tip-toe around it, the more they sense it, and the more awkward it becomes and the farther you'll find yourself from closing the sale... LEAD them to sale and remove the most common objections you experience along the way... most prospects will see 2-3 contractors on average, because there's only so many 1 1/2-2 hour presentations you can sit through before you become over-whelmed and your brain turns to mush... giving them every reason TO use you and removing the reasons they would object to along the way by asking open ended questions LEADS them to the conclusion they have no reason NOT to use you (but that doesn't mean you're going to close every sale as about a 1/3-1/2 the people can't get out of their own way because they react in a knee jerk way to presentations)...

If you think you need to hone up on dealing with price, there are a myriad out there, but a good book on closing is Tom Hopkins "How To Master the Art of Selling" - an excellent book on the soft-sell/close skill set... the good ones are timeless...

P.S. - When you say "your project will be $17,000", since you qualified and confirmed their budget, you may want to add "and the great news is, your all-inclusive number is on the lower end of YOUR budget range, which makes things much easier, (with a smile) wouldn't you agree?..."

And once they say "yes" (what else are they going to say), move on to assuming the sale, and SCHEDULING them for their project... Always look for win/win...

Last edited by KAP; 02-23-2017 at 05:29 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Big Shoe (02-23-2017), CharlieDelta (02-23-2017), Philament (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling (mostly kitch/bath)
Rewards Points: 928

I just lay it out straight to them. I give them all the details on paper, the price and leave it at that. I ask them if they have any questions. They can either sign the contract or not. I don't want to play salesman. I don't want to pitch how great I am. But hey thats just me.

OTOH maybe that's what ya have to do to thrive in any "business."
Pitch it and sell it. Yet, do it with finesse and professionalism.

It's just not my style.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirkdc For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (02-23-2017), StillRemodeling (11-04-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Carpentry/Building/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Clients can smell an unconfident contractor.
I think this is one of the biggest components. People can sense lack of confidence in people in every aspect of life, not just sales meetings.

If you're confident (re. not cocky) and leave no doubt in the customers mind that you know what you're doing and the other guy doesn't than you should have no problem making a sale.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieDelta For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #14
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 38

I don't usually leave with a contract or down payment after going over my proposal with potential clients. I know personally I am not going to make an instant decision on a large project without reviewing the info given to me. I will give a follow up call a few days later if I don't hear back. I want people to feel their job is important but it isn't the only thing I have going on.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Jaws (02-23-2017), Ohio painter (02-23-2017), Philament (02-23-2017), pinwheel (10-09-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #15
Pro

Lots of good advice. Lets assume though that you've got a great pitch, great pricing structure, full of confidence. What words are you using to lead to closing?

Granted the pitch and discussion/explanation get you pretty far but the reality is that you will get more sales if you lead to a closing. If you just drop it at the price 99% of people will say 'thanks I'll get back to you'. Then some will just decide they don't want to spend the money or someone else will come along and use your estimate, and specs to give them a better price and then a closing.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #16
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 176

I don't give a price while at the house. I tell homeowner I'll email them a estimate later that day. Then I send I nice email with a " thank you for the opportunity to bid on the job" in the email with an attached estimate.

I'll attach a few pics once in a while and give details of the products I use. I'm usually competing against the pushy one call guys who over sell.

Another thing is I remind the customer before I leave that I'll be at the job along with my brother who's also been doing for over 25 years and never take a deposit. I close a decent amount with this approach. Everyone has their own style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Gumshoe (03-17-2017), Ohio painter (02-23-2017), overanalyze (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 726

Simply ask for the job. After presenting the price, ask them for the work. Maybe ask them to sign your contract, or tell them when your going to start. Move the conversation along as if they have agreed to proceed. If they have reservations, then doing the above will bring it to the fore front and you need to be able to have the answers.

'Buyers are liars'. Find out what they truly want. I always try to find out about the 'budget' up front. Sometimes when I 'ballpark' a job price I will also ask them if they would sign my contract if I can do the job inside of that price range. Put them on the spot. Why waste time and resource without a 'commitment'.
dayexco (02-23-2017), kirkdc (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Then some will just decide they don't want to spend the money or someone else will come along and use your estimate, and specs to give them a better price and then a closing.
you need to be asking a lot of questions at your initial meet to qualify them in many aspects..not only budgetary.

before you throw the price at them, you need to ask and find out if there are any conflicts with what they had desired to what you've proposed, wanted to spend, and get those questions answered long before you throw price at them.

once you've addressed all their concerns, get them to react in a positive manner to your answers, it will be a lot harder for them to justify giving you a no to your proposal.

really no different than selling cars. don't see many car salespeople asking questions where the customer has to give a negative answer.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:15 PM   #19
The Sheriff

Rewards Points: 346

Just like dealing with a client when you are actually in build stage - no matter what happens you were prepared for it, anticipated it, have seen it before and will again, are completely in charge and in control of the situation and the outcome and they are in excellent shape as long as you are at the helm. Confidence is a must. That's what discerning clients want to buy

Profesional scope of work, contract, spec sheets.

Show them your work, this pretty much is a prerequisite for me if they haven't seen it.

Listen to what they want and their ideas before discussing your operation.

By the time I have sent them the price I have won or lost the job.

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
StillRemodeling (11-04-2017), TxElectrician (02-24-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #20
The Sheriff

Rewards Points: 346

As far as overcoming budget shock : depends on the client. Old retired couple talk about sustainable and maintenance free, young and loaded and driving a 100k car, talk about how cool it is, busy talk about how little time they will have to invest beyond selections. Ect...

Advertisement

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (03-07-2017), PDRenovtns (03-20-2017)