Relocating

Old 01-13-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 219

Relocating

My wife and I have decided we want to relocate to another part of the country, to give our family a better quality of life. We currently live in Massachusetts and are mostly looking in Florida for our new residence. My question is can anyone give me suggestions on areas of Florida that have a strong construction industry? I specialize in decks, additions and remodeling.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 552

Re: Relocating

"The grass always looks greener on the other side"

People in Massachusetts already have a better life-style than in many other parts of the country. I spent 20 years in Massachusetts and the place is a gold mine for contractors. I found that people there had much more respect and appreciation for good workmanship and they were willing to pay. I found that most people would rather spend time with their families rather than be do-it-yourselfers.

I also spent a lot of time in Florida, California, Minnesota, and Idaho. The people in the states with the colder weather always seemed to spend more quality time with their families. The people in the warmer states are always on-the-go and can't wait for shopping malls to open on Sundays.

You are going to find a lot of things you won't like about Florida like the competition with the Cubans and Hispanics is fierce. The hot weather in January is miserable and the heat in July is unbearable.

I hired a lot of workers who went all the way from Massachusetts to California to work. The employees from your state were always the most educated, loyal and best workers, but they always longed for their home state and returned.

Just give it a little more thought before you jump from the pot into the frying pan. With a little planning and thought there is a lot of money in Massachusetts, but probably not for decks in the winter. In the winter, I used to paint inside homes and inside department stores and I made up to $10,000 per week in profit and that was 40 years ago.

Idaho is another gold mine. I was in Boise this past September and I had to get the inside of a 3-bedroom home painted. Every painter was too busy to do the work and they wanted $4,000 to $7,000 just for the inside. I ended up flying from Los Angeles to Boise, purchased tools ad Home Depot and I finished and flew back to Los Angeles on the 3rd day. All you need to do is contact property management companies and you will never run out of work. Fifty years ago, when I was only 18-years old I had 8 painters working for me in Boise and it looks like the painting business is still booming today.

Advertisement

Last edited by daffysplumbing; 01-14-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 10,344

Quote:
In the winter, I used to paint inside homes and inside department stores and I made up to $10,000 per week in profit and that was 40 years ago.
Uh...then I would be painting inside homes and department stores in the winter and sipping frozen daiquiri's on a beach somewhere nice in the summer.
Californiadecks (02-05-2018), Frank Castle (01-14-2018), Sir Mixalot (02-05-2018)

Old 01-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
Pro something

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 338

I know several people who moved from the northeast to Florida with big dreams and ended up broke...
Old 01-14-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,040

If you have school age children check on the school systems first. Our daughter and son in law left Florida when they decided to start a family due to the poor quality go the school systems.

Tom
Old 02-04-2018, 11:09 PM   #6

Trade: Door Installer
Rewards Points: 200

I lived in southeast Florida for 37 years. You couldn't pay me enough to move back there. If you're not dead set on FL, the Nashville area is booming and there are not enough qualified people to do the work. I personally try to stay out of it if possible because I hate big cities. However, I know guys who are killing it, there. Tennessee is very business friendly and this state desperately needs tradesman who know what the heck they are doing.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:13 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,202

Id advised against it . Nothing against Florida , but everyone thinks its an easier and better life style , which is the complete opposite. You are in a good state .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement