Ready To Hire Employees - Business - Contractor Talk

Ready To Hire Employees

Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
MasterCraft-KB

Trade: Kitchen & Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 25

Ready To Hire Employees

I own an S Corp Kitchen & Bath remodeling company with a partner in PA. We have been using subs in the past but now want to bring on a few employees as well. A carpenter, a helper and a secretary. We do not currently carry workers comp or health insurance. The company pays my health insurance which i have gotten privately. I'm not sure if we need to offer health insurance to employees or not and if so if we should try and get a package deal. Also, not sure the best way to go about getting workers comp. Any information from those who have done so would be greatly appreciated.

MasterCraft Kitchen & Bath
www.MasterCraft-KB.com

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Trade work for money.
Rewards Points: 512

Re: Ready To Hire Employees

In Oregon and Indiana it's been the same for me... A call to the state, and they're more than happy to answer my questions. If I'm not signed up for the proper programs, they're not taking that money out of my pocket.. Also a call to your builders association gives you a good start. I'm sure PA is the same way.

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #3

Trade: Landscaping
Rewards Points: 10

I'm in a similar situation. I started a landscaping company and while I'm working on getting bigger jobs (so far mostly lawn maintenance calling me), I need to get set up to hire employees. I guess my main question is: While I work on getting more work (and during any slow months), is there a minimum number of hours I have to guarantee in order to keep them employed? Or can I just tell them "You work when I have work for you to do."?

Old 08-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Bath Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Stuff like that usually depends on the state, and how you classify them. Contact your state's division of labor standards enforcement and they'll send you information on all the rules. Pretty sure workman's comp is required everywhere, and having an actual employee, not a 1099 subcontractor, without it in this field is a big liability.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Might want to look into a PEO (professional employment organization) or employee leasing company, there are a few threads on here that you can search for. I chose a PEO to make my life easier, they take care of the work comp, taxes, checks, withholding, etc.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCraft-KB View Post
I own an S Corp Kitchen & Bath remodeling company with a partner in PA. We have been using subs in the past but now want to bring on a few employees as well. A carpenter, a helper and a secretary. We do not currently carry workers comp or health insurance. The company pays my health insurance which i have gotten privately. I'm not sure if we need to offer health insurance to employees or not and if so if we should try and get a package deal. Also, not sure the best way to go about getting workers comp. Any information from those who have done so would be greatly appreciated.
WC is mandatory if they are going to be employees. Most insurance companies will not write a WC policy without history, so the state offers coverage thru their own policy (SWIF) or State Worker's Insurance Fund. Expect to pay about 15% on a carpenter and helper (each).

Health insurance is not mandated, but if you want to attract quality employees and keep them, it is a must.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
MasterCraft-KB

Trade: Kitchen & Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for all the replies...I am very interested in going with a PEO. Any suggestions for one in PA would be appreciated. I've seen on other post that you need a certain amount of employees in order to go with a PEO. We have the 2 owners, a secretary, a carpenter, a helper and numerous subs... Just wondering if that would be enough? Thanks again for the replies.

MasterCraft Kitchen & Bath
www.MasterCraft-KB.com
Old 08-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Commercial Loading Dock and Door Contractor
Rewards Points: 56

I run all my guys through a modified version of a PEO. It is a program that falls in between a PEO and a temp agency.

There are no minimum employee requirements, the guys are dedicated to me for any work I have for them, I do not have to handle any HR issues, WC and Unemployment claims do not effect my rates.

All in all, I think that it is a great program for small companies that have no HR department, but once you get to 5 or more employees, it would be cheaper to use other methods.

I am not going to promote the name of the company that I use, but if anyone needs more info, just PM me.

Advertisement

www.BadcoDoors.com