Program For Managing Receipts

Old 12-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 279

Program For Managing Receipts

I use quickbooks for my accounting and have been using Neat for my receipts. I scan them in, enter them into quickbooks, and shred the original. It worked well because I had every receipt at my fingertips on my computer.

The downside was the Neat software has always been buggy. IT works but frequently crashes, won't work right for weeks when new OS updates come out, etc. The last straw for me was they have now discontinued and are no longer supporting the standalone software that resides on your computer and stores the receipts. They have gone to a cloud based program with a hefty monthly fee. I tried the demo and did not like it.

Is anyone using another type of program to manage their receipts?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #2
Wormdrive Operator

Rewards Points: 6,152

Re: Program For Managing Receipts

Yeah envelopes. They never crash and get buggy. I suppose they could burn in a fire, but so will a computer.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to heavy_d For This Useful Post:
sparehair (12-18-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry/Building/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,662

I use Google sheets. I create a spreadsheet, and enter the receipts into it as I buy things. Trip to Home Cheapo and I enter the receipt in once I'm back in the truck. I enter in a job ID that I assign to each job, an amount, date, description, and where I purchased it.

Granted I need to enter it again into Quickbooks, but doing that isn't a big deal. That way I don't have a pile of paper receipts to keep track of.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:13 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_d View Post
Yeah envelopes. They never crash and get buggy. I suppose they could burn in a fire, but so will a computer.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
there you go

if you want to be a sophisticated quick books online has an app for your phone, you take a picture of the receipt, but that's all I know and all I know how to do, I have a book keeper that knows how to organize the photo/receipt in the quickbooks program I think it shows up when you click on an expense
Old 12-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #5
#MAGA

Trade: Builder/Renovator

Sanp a picture with Adobe or Scanbot and upload to dropbox. I just put the date and vendor for archive purposes and record the transaction in QB when I get home.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
New Guy

Trade: Mobile+Web Management Software for Contractors
Rewards Points: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdog1234 View Post
Is anyone using another type of program to manage their receipts?
On average, how many receipts do you deal with weekly?

They are spanned on how many projects?
Old 12-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 279

I don't know about weekly but an average month is 70 receipts. We travel for work and have hotels, fuel, materials, supplies, etc.

I found a program and am trying it out right now. It is called Evernote.

I can scan the receipts in with my cell phone and it stores them. I think it will work though I just found it this morning so I am not sure yet.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: Mobile+Web Management Software for Contractors
Rewards Points: 120

Quote:
Evernote is perfect to keep track of notes (receipts included). It deals really good with "taking notes" and keeping stuff tidy. I personally use Evernote a lot. I have an iPad and stylus and take all my handwritten notes in Evernote, it's really awesome.

On the other hand, it won't do anything with the receipts you've imported in Evernote. Forget about reporting, project cost tracking, etc. You'll have to rely on something else for that.

By the way, to stay in the free-Evernote, I suggest you reduce the resolution of your pictures. At 60 free MB per month, you'll need to avoid uploading 5MB pictures!
Old 12-21-2016, 11:00 PM   #9

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 8

I don't know about windows but QB 2016 for Mac has a feature where I can attach images(my receipts) to a entry. The pictures get stored in an iphoto library.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Custom Builder
Rewards Points: 602

I bought a ScanSnap scanner and scan every receipt into a folder with my Visa statement. I then copy the scanned receipts into their respective job folders on my Mac. I've been doing this since 2014 and the biggest time saver is if you need to find a receipt. Saving them as a searchable PDF it the way to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to TWhite For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (12-27-2016)
Old 01-04-2017, 10:03 PM   #11
Contributor

Trade: Vendor
Rewards Points: 94

I second ScanSnap and the nice thing is you can also scan the receipts directly to the transactions within QuickBooks.

For example if you have a sub that you use, you can easily scan his invoice into ScanSnap and attach it to the bill within QuickBooks so when you open the bill in quickbooks the invoice is right there as well for you to view.

Tracy Collins
The Following User Says Thank You to tcollins For This Useful Post:
KAP (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 07:01 AM   #12
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 454

Google Sheets and Excel should do just fine. You create them, organize them and can use them further. Things are safe when they're on the Google drive and they should be as simplified as possible.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: division twelve
Rewards Points: 962

Quote:
I don't know about weekly but an average month is 70 receipts. We travel for work and have hotels, fuel, materials, supplies, etc.

I can scan the receipts in with my cell phone and it stores them. I think it will work though I just found it this morning so I am not sure yet.
Expensify is $5/month and it will OCR and categorize your receipts as needed. Works fine for me and we have it integrated with QBO. Expensify works similarly to Evernote, though it isn't free -- you are essentially paying for the automatic categorization and integrations with accounting packages.

The ScanSnaps that are popular are great scanners for office use. I wouldn't recommend you take one on the road with you.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:17 PM   #14

Trade: Apparatus Contractor Services
Rewards Points: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBrancard View Post
Sanp a picture with Adobe or Scanbot and upload to dropbox. I just put the date and vendor for archive purposes and record the transaction in QB when I get home.
We usually recommend a digital storage space like Dropbox. It's easy and as Eric you can always write the project and any other important information at the bottom. Snap a picture, load it up, dump the physical copy. You can create various folders depending on how detailed you want your organization to be and you can share the folders with a CPA or bookkeeping service, family members, etc. if needed.

The less clutter the better!

Erin
Old 09-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #15

Trade: GC Restoration Contractor
Rewards Points: 2

Shoeboxed - you have to go online & check it out because I?m not the best at explaining it.

You can take a pic of the receipt & then upload to the app & label however you need...
ie) Gas Receipt
job # / Fuel Receipt

You can also send in 100?s of receipts in their free shipping big blue envelopes they provide you with & then they?ll organize all of them & enter in for you.

You can go on the site & integrate your receipts with QB or Choose to download a cvs file

It will also keep track of your miles if you want.
You can send in 100?s of Business cards & they?ll organize them & enter for you so you have if you want to use as a spread sheet or cvs file.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:59 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 6,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by r a s View Post
Expensify is $5/month and it will OCR and categorize your receipts as needed. Works fine for me and we have it integrated with QBO. Expensify works similarly to Evernote, though it isn't free -- you are essentially paying for the automatic categorization and integrations with accounting packages.

The ScanSnaps that are popular are great scanners for office use. I wouldn't recommend you take one on the road with you.
I just tried out Expensify, and I think it may be a winner. Receipts are my Achilles heal. Looks like it is just click and save. I'll play with it a bit more tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,232

Updating my existence to y2k as well, I'm so friggin sick of paper receipts EVERYWHERE. I am currently testing out Neat, and the online portion seems fairly useful. The key for me is being able to upload everything to Quickbooks Online, and I like that it allows me to review the invoice, confirm the vendor/amount/category/etc and it all uploads to QBO including the scan of the receipt (or photo or whatever).

There's a few snags I've already run into though that make me pause for a second:
- In QBO, I have an expense category of Job Materials, and then break it down to sub-categories for each individual job. When I map the Neat category to QBO, it will only allow me to map it to the Job Materials category, no apparent way to select the more specific job category...seems like that should be easy, yeah?
- When it uploads to QBO from Neat, the "DESCRIPTION" field in QBO simply puts the vendor name in...I wish there was a way to have something more specific import there if I had entered it somewhere in Neat.

My work-around thus far has been to upload all job invoices to "Uncategorized Expense" so that I can then select the job sub-account and then I type in a quick description of what the invoice is for in Description. I'd simply love if Neat would allow me to do all of the organization and simply click 'upload to accounting' and it be in the right spot...I know, I'm asking a lot

I'm open to exploring other things like Expensify, but I do like that Neat stores everything scanned and I think I can get used to their system easy enough...I do fear the 'outages' people report though......and I really don't scan much other than receipts, but I do keep things like Worker's Comp Certificates, Insurance documents, etc on scans so I can easily attach them to bids/e-mails as needed.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #18
Pro

...and it could be that I just need to figure out a new way of organizing jobs in QBO?
Old 10-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #19
Donut �� enjoyer

Trade: B General Contractor
Rewards Points: 502

Have you looked into zoho?
Old 10-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM View Post
Have you looked into zoho?
I did once, it seemed like it was going to take me hours and hours of customizing it to 'make it how I wanted' and I'm not sure I'd get to where I was going...but maybe I need to re-visit it?

I did find that if I enter "Notes" in Neat they show up after the vendor name in QBO, so that works for me...now my only actual complaint is sub-accounts not showing up, I may just need to adjust how I do job-accounts in QBO to make it work...hmmmm...

Advertisement