Next Level Business: Working With A Remodeling Designer

Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
Craftsman

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 324

Next Level Business: Working With A Remodeling Designer

I'm finding that more of our new kitchen & bath remodeling clients are looking to us for design help than ever before. I was wondering how young companies have grown into this interior design service offering within in an ad hoc basis to start?

Any advice or personal history appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Whatever the customer wants
Rewards Points: 2,174

Re: Next Level Business: Working With A Remodeling Designer

I've started looking into transitioning into this type of business model. Starting with design contracts instead of just standard doing enough design to put a decent proposal together.

This recent article in JLC really opened my eyes as to how I might go about that.
http://www.jlconline.com/business/es...1118%20(1)&he=

I know a few GC's here do similar to what you're talking about. All have the designer as a subcontractor to them though, which I think is important.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Philament For This Useful Post:
conductor (02-28-2018), ScipioAfricanus (02-28-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (02-28-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 05:39 AM   #3
New Guy

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 60

my history is that early off we found that doing the design and plans from the start of the project is crucial to the clients happiness. it also takes a lot of the liability out of your hands... with a design and proper plans \ finish schedules, theres not really any room for the client to come back and say "thats not what i wanted" or anything else that comes up... its all on paper, if they want it changed you gotta charge for it. i was lucky when i started, i already had access to a fairly large network of laborers, other contractors, designers, architects and engineers... id say look for a good architect that can do concept drawings as well, that way you can knock it out in one shot... each architect has different styles though so it would be beneficial to make relationships with several to make sure you can satisfy you clients style demands, you dont have to keep them on payroll as employees, just talk to them and get an idea of how they charge for projects so you can properly bid for it. we dont even submit a construction bid until the plans are 100% done and all the finishes are picked out and finalized.. the plans are theirs to do what they wish with them after they pay for em, they can use us or not, we do offer to take the plan cost off on the back end if they stick with us. larger jobs we offer a discount on the plans if they use us. so for US, we use guys who have their own businesses already, we dont keep any in house design people or architects, but we do advertise we take care of everything from planning to building.
The Following User Says Thank You to DCDEVINC For This Useful Post:
conductor (03-01-2018)

Old 03-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
New Guy

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 44

I would sub out the remodel design work to keep your overhead low. Build up that side of the business and get comfortable with it and then bring it in house as it can be justified.

Ken
Estate Homes
The Following User Says Thank You to estatehomes For This Useful Post:
conductor (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by estatehomes View Post
I would sub out the remodel design work to keep your overhead low. Build up that side of the business and get comfortable with it and then bring it in house as it can be justified.

Ken
Estate Homes
Design build us the only way as far as im concerned

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #6

Trade: Design Build General Contractor
Rewards Points: 12

We do exclusively design build, and quite a bit of it. Starting out years ago was a little difficult- it's an entirely different animal. Develop a good relationship with a designer, work out a repeatable fee schedule, and MANAGE your designer. I made the mistake initially of just throwing everything into the designers hands thinking they would handle it all. Of course- nothing is that easy. Be prepared to invest time, energy, and resources into offering this new service. Ensure it is a profit center.

Advertisement