Job Costing Software Specifically For Sub Contractors

Old 09-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Framing / Finish / Windows / Doors
Rewards Points: 210

Job Costing Software Specifically For Sub Contractors

I've been on this site for quite sometime, but have not posted in quite a while. A few years ago I sat down and created a custom software that would track both employees hours as they relate to specific jobs. It was a way for me to have all of the data I needed to help me better understand how I was doing on a job. What I realized is that most sub contractors don't realize if they are making money or losing money until it's already happened.

Since I've implemented this software margins have sky rocketed and efficiency has grown. I know where I stand on a job every single day. It's not a catch all software designed to overtake quickbooks or anything like that. I have 15 employees, it tracks their hours so that I can report the hours to my payroll company and then takes that data relates it to what my projects bids were to give me a day by day understanding of the job.

Well I'm now thinking about marketing that software and wanted to gauge the interest. I was hoping that a few of you might chime in on what software you're currently using and if you're using anything that does exactly what my software does before I spend the money to refine it and get it ready for market. I don't want to divulge the full workings of my software over this forum, but hopefully the brief description is enough for a basic understanding.

Last edited by mikecocozza; 09-19-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #2

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 6

Re: Job Costing Software Specifically For Sub Contractors

I have used Co-Construct which is great for large projects and looks very nice very customer focused. Co-construct charges by the project. I now use Build Tools which charges by the user and was developed by a contractor. Build tools is not as customer friendly as Co-Construct but for us was far cheaper and better suited.

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
Construction Entrepreneur

Trade: Construction Technology & Marketing
Rewards Points: 14

I built my last company like this. It's not as easy as you might think as it requires lots of energy, skill and capital. I ended up raising millions in capital to build a team for my last venture. If you need a sounding board we could chat more?

Old 09-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,166

So give us some examples of how it tracks or what it produces. How is it different than excel or quickbooks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Dyggz View Post
I built my last company like this. It's not as easy as you might think as it requires lots of energy, skill and capital. I ended up raising millions in capital to build a team for my last venture. If you need a sounding board we could chat more?
I appreciate your input. Thank you. I don't have any delusions that it's an easy road. I've met with a software developer to understand the upfront costs. Im weighing out what the rest of it will look like now before pursuing anything else.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsol View Post
So give us some examples of how it tracks or what it produces. How is it different than excel or quickbooks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My software takes information and gives me the data im looking for specifically in a way that excel was not capable of. Quickbooks is great, I use it and this software is not designed to replace quickbooks. What i've developed in a nutshell does this:

First off it's specific to labor heavy service providers. I run a framing and carpentry business with 14 employees. We hardly provide materials as part of our contracts and typically our contracts are months long. Fo instance we framed a home earlier this year that had a labor contract price of just around $250k it was scheduled to take about 6 months. We broke the job up into about 6 scopes.

1. Floor System Framing
2. Lower Roof Framing
3. Upper Roof Framing
4. First Floor Interior Framing
5. Second Floor Interior Framing
6. Exterior Finish Carpentry

When we bid the job we bid it in this fashion and determine a total cost per each line item. In my software I can input a new job with these parameters.

Each day I tell it which employees worked on the job, and which of the 6 scopes they worked on. The system knows the cost of the employee as well as the total amount budgeted for the job so every day I can run a report which tells me how much Ive spent and how much I have left for each of the 6 scopes. Or however many scopes I chose to input for each job.

There are many more features which my software does which I'd rather not disclose on this forum. However, my software is currently build using a database system which would require any potential user to purchase a license to this specific database software in order to run my app. I am trying to determine if there is a market for my software to make it worth my while to pay to have it developed into a cloud based solution or a standalone program.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 639

Hi Mike

I'm in a similar trade to yourself so it got my interest but without sounding negative i'm not seeing what it does that quickbooks does not do, is it more that it predicts the spend? with quickbooks it gives you a job costing as soon as any labour or items have been entered.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter uk View Post
Hi Mike

I'm in a similar trade to yourself so it got my interest but without sounding negative i'm not seeing what it does that quickbooks does not do, is it more that it predicts the spend? with quickbooks it gives you a job costing as soon as any labour or items have been entered.
I appreciate your feedback. I use quickbooks, but I do not use it for time tracing as my employees are all through a leasing company. So to be honest with you I'm not too familiar with how quickbooks handles employees hours vs the job costing. Maybe you could enlighten me.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 639

There is a report to show the hrs per item and a report to show the cost of the hrs vs the income or vs the estimate

Advertisement