How To Manage Client And Job Information? - Business - Contractor Talk

How To Manage Client And Job Information?

Old 02-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 288

How To Manage Client And Job Information?

My business is growing, yay. But now I'm at the point that I'm having trouble keeping up with all of a client's necessary information, whether or not I've done the estimates/change orders, etc.

Currently, I try to put all their contact info into apple contacts, schedule everything in Calendar, and all estimates are done in templates I've created in Numbers, or Pages. I invoice with Paypal.

I'm a small-time remodeler/one-man show. I use a couple of one-man-show subs when needed and plumbers/electricians. So I don't need or want what track home builders use, I doubt I could afford it.

First, what free tips and strategies do you use to manage your jobs/clients?

Second, what software and services do you use and why?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2018, 12:01 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 46

Re: How To Manage Client And Job Information?

Evernote to organize everything
I just started with smart sheets for gantt chart, it is saved to Evernote with everything else,

I can share info to the right people through evernote and manage it from whatever device I am using at the moment

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
RMDailey (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #3

Trade: Residential Contracting
Rewards Points: 128

Was using iCloud Drive for a while. If you are using Mac products, it allows you to have(you pay a monthly fee) documents which can be seen across my phone, laptop, iPad- etc. pretty nice to have. Add folders for each project, and break it up as you would on the desktop of your computer. You’ll have everything you need no matter where you are.

Microsoft or another company must have something similar if you’re not using Mac like a lot of people.

Use QuickBooks online for your billing, estimates etc. if you’re not already. They have a phone app which is pretty handy.

What is your average job $$ wise? I can make other recommendations but they may not make sense if the projects are bathroom remodels or self performed work. They’re aimed at managing subcontractors, etc.

Oh yeah, personally I have a major problem not following up with a client, prospect, friend. Now always set reminders on phone for call backs, tasks, etc. the sticky note( and the mind) are not getting it done for me.

Last edited by LPG; 02-16-2018 at 03:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to LPG For This Useful Post:
RMDailey (02-16-2018)

Old 02-16-2018, 08:27 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPG View Post
Was using iCloud Drive for a while. If you are using Mac products, it allows you to have(you pay a monthly fee) documents which can be seen across my phone, laptop, iPad- etc. pretty nice to have. Add folders for each project, and break it up as you would on the desktop of your computer. You’ll have everything you need no matter where you are.

Microsoft or another company must have something similar if you’re not using Mac like a lot of people.

Use QuickBooks online for your billing, estimates etc. if you’re not already. They have a phone app which is pretty handy.

What is your average job $$ wise? I can make other recommendations but they may not make sense if the projects are bathroom remodels or self performed work. They’re aimed at managing subcontractors, etc.

Oh yeah, personally I have a major problem not following up with a client, prospect, friend. Now always set reminders on phone for call backs, tasks, etc. the sticky note( and the mind) are not getting it done for me.
Thanks, I'm trying to better utilize icloud. I started a folder for each client on my desktop that automatically goes to my phone. This should help as I get bids from subs. Most of my jobs are less than $5k, my biggest to date was a little over 20k.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 680

We create an internal job # for everything. I made up job # 10,463 today. We started at 1,000 so that means we have over 9,000 jobs in our system.

Our job tracking is fairly basic. The main tool is a spreadsheet that lists job name, number, proposal date, customer contact, address, basic milestones, completion dates, inspection dates, invoice dates, notes, job description,etc..

This spreadsheet has a few tabs. One for current jobs, one for completed jobs, one for lost bids. We process hundreds of jobs per year so being able to focus on one tab for current projects is helpful.

Every January I save the sheet with a new name. I.E. tracker 2018. All jobs on the "current" tab stays. Everything else is deleted so it's clean for the year. My old sheet for 2017 is archived.

I put filters on all columns so I can sort by any variable I want. It's simple to do. We have a script written that automatically saves a backup of the tracker.

The tracker is my quick reference. Real job information is saved in project specific folders. It's a simple process. I have a main folder called "current projects". Inside are individual folders for each job. I create a folder with the job # and name. Putting the number first organizes the folders.

Inside the folder I have subfolders for all kinds of things. Bid Docs which would be my proposal, material quotes, notes used to bid. Correspondence which has any emails about job. Drawings which is self explanatory. Permits and inspections. Daily reports from my crews. Photos. I'd guess we have well over 1 million photos on file. I received 500 photos today to closeout 1 job.

Once a job is done, the folder is moved to a new location for completed jobs. If we lose the bid, the job folder gets moved to a lost bid location.

We use QuickBooks. Every hour worked goes against a job number. Every proposal is a job number. All materials are purchased with a p.o. that references the job number.

Doing this allows us to print out accurate job cost or P&L sheets.

It's a lot easier that it sounds. 99% of my work comes via email. I can populate my job tracker with all info, create a job folder (I have a template that we copy and paste with blank subfolders and proposals) and insert all the drawings, and correspondence in just a couple minutes.

As jobs come in, we also make outlook reminders for bid due dates, bid meeting dates, etc.

We have our own little server to save all this info. We had a local computer guy help us out. Me and a couple others are able to log into the server remotely. I'm sure it could all be done with a PC and cloud based storage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike-B For This Useful Post:
Philament (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 07:20 AM   #6

Trade: Builder/Developer
Rewards Points: 34

It sounds like you are ready for some accounting software.

1. QuickBooks Online or Xero for accounting.

2. Structure Files somewhere online to organize all the documents. Dropbox, box.com, G Drive, iCloud will all work fine.

There are add ons for QuickBooks and Xero that incorporate all of the project management functions like eSub, Corecon, Konwify, Bolt, Co-Construct and BuilderTrend, which are fairly inexpensive.

My company is just transitioning off of QuickBooks and going to one of the bigger construction accounting systems. As a one man show, you probably won't encounter any of the pain points we had. And, almost all of our smaller subs are using QuickBooks. I can tell from the invoice format we receive.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #7
New Guy

Trade: subcontractor invoice financing
Rewards Points: 12

When you are still a one-man show and try to stay low cost, I would think Excel is a good idea to keep up with simple things. No kidding, I always find excel is a useful tool to keep everything organized. In this case, you might want to just simply list these description (I made these up) on the 1st column:

Client Name
Client Phone
Client Address
Submitted estimates?
Work Done?
Invoiced sent?
Invoice date
Invoice amount
Get Paid?
Payment received date

And fill them out for Job A (2nd column), Job B (3rd column), Job C (4th column).

When your business is growing, you may want to use Quick books.

When growing bigger, we provide Back office and Billing Support just so you can focus on the trade.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:26 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 188

I kinda run it all through quickbooks. Set up the name and all for the estimate, then bill off the estimate in progress payments. I try and input the address and email etc into my iphone so I can send the address to others via the phone. I set up Quickbooks right off the bat and it's saved me a lot of time
Old 02-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 188

I gotta admit I might copy Mike B's system as I tend to have all of that information floating around and it's hard to find

Advertisement