How To Get More Clients? Advertising Or?

Old 07-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Remodeler

How To Get More Clients? Advertising Or?

Hi guys,

I'm Dominik and I'm from Rochester MN.
I'm doing Remodeling and Home Improvement service.
I'm specialized in Bathroom Remodeling.
(Carpentery, Tile, plumbing, electrical and more.

I'm running FB ads but i have every month only 2 or 3 jobs and i trying to figure out how to promo my business or how to get more clients?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #2
Accidental Painter

Trade: Who's paying?
Rewards Points: 1,262

Re: How To Get More Clients? Advertising Or?

Google is your friend. Get you a webpage and start establishing an internet presence. save up and eventually get a pro to make you one.

Get the book Guerrilla marketing and start implementing it. Also, start offering your current customers "Referral Rewards" For example I pay $50 cash to any current client who refers work my way and i get the job, no limit either.

Take the small work. You would be shocked how many times a drywall patch turns into a whole house paint, or new roof, etc...Do outstanding work on the small stuff to pass the "sniff test" and you will quickly get larger and more work form the very same clients. Be their go to guy.

Get your truck/van cleaned up and lettered up. I paid $300 to put my company logo, phone number, and web page on my van on all sides as big as possible. Nothing fancy, kept it simple and cheap. Paid for itself within 24 hours.

DO NOT GET A MAGNET!!!

If you aint working, your lettered vehicle needs to be seen in the neighborhoods you want to work in so go cruise em on your down time.

Advertisement

Metro M & L (07-28-2017), StillRemodeling (11-04-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 4,590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftweed View Post
Google is your friend. Get you a webpage and start establishing an internet presence. save up and eventually get a pro to make you one.

Get the book Guerrilla marketing and start implementing it. Also, start offering your current customers "Referral Rewards" For example I pay $50 cash to any current client who refers work my way and i get the job, no limit either.

Take the small work. You would be shocked how many times a drywall patch turns into a whole house paint, or new roof, etc...Do outstanding work on the small stuff to pass the "sniff test" and you will quickly get larger and more work form the very same clients. Be their go to guy.

Get your truck/van cleaned up and lettered up. I paid $300 to put my company logo, phone number, and web page on my van on all sides as big as possible. Nothing fancy, kept it simple and cheap. Paid for itself within 24 hours.

DO NOT GET A MAGNET!!!

If you aint working, your lettered vehicle needs to be seen in the neighborhoods you want to work in so go cruise em on your down time.

I would agree and also add to always be a man of your word. Show up for work and appointments when you say that you will be there. Period. Alot of contractors have a real problem with that...nothing pisses off customers more than contractors not showing up and when you are always there when you promise then people will highly recommend you to others which is golden advertising

Let's say your bidding a job and you show up for the appointment on time and somewhat professional looking, the other contractor bidding the job misses the appointment..how would you feel as a homeowner? I wouldn't trust him therefore probably award the job to the guy that was there when he was supposed to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Windycity For This Useful Post:
cwatbay (07-24-2017)

Old 07-24-2017, 03:00 AM   #4
P.R.O. Fessional

Rewards Points: 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftweed View Post
DO NOT GET A MAGNET!!!
Why no magnet? I have them on my truck, same design as my card, website header and FB page, people know it's me when I pull up and who is working on their neighbor's house etc. Besides someone can steal them what is the big no no?

I have a website, all SEO is done correctly for the search engines, even optimized for Google, I have a Google business listing that pops up when searched (had friends test it), I have paid for local ads on Facebook but the #1 place that has got me more business and calls than all the others combined is Craigslist believe it or not.

I don't type my phone number or email but I do put picture of my card that has them on it so bots can't read it or they can contact me through Craigslist. How many bunk calls do I get from it? I don't know, but I get more jobs from that than any other thing I have done all put together (exception maybe word of mouth)

I have been told by a few people that called me, that they called me because ad appears to be honest and straight forward. Here is one - https://texoma.craigslist.org/sks/6167452773.html

I made 4 and I re-new one every few days because of others that flood it to death, if you don't it will get lost quickly.

I've cut this board three times and it's still too short!

Last edited by Chipfo; 07-24-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipfo View Post
Why no magnet?
Because they scream part timer. They communicate lack of commitment to your business. They're unprofessional.

Quote:
I have a website
You should have gone WordPress. I'm not inclined to list the problems because it would be a large list. One very big one is it's not mobile friendly. I mean this to be helpful because you'll do yourself a huge favor by finding a WP theme that better represents the image you want to convey and have it put money in your pocket.

@Dominik, welcome to the forum. I suggest spending time in the Sales and Marketing areas of the forum and get inspired. The FB ads are a great start and you'll find a lot of useful info here on using them effectively, especially in connection with your web site.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbscreative For This Useful Post:
heavy_d (07-25-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
P.R.O. Fessional

Steve, I kind of like my magnets, I have gotten only compliments on them and notices that they look like my card and website. Are you looking at them through a Pro-Business consultants eyes that's been trained to avoid them? Does the average Joe or Jane looking to have improvements done to their home really look at magnets and think "Wow that really looks like an unprofessional part-timer? I am 50 yrs old and I never thought that, I may have thought temporary signs but never to the extreme of un-pro. Mine are temps, I needed something and I got the best looking signs in my budget at the time, two - 1 ft x 2 ft signs with my logo and info for $24 total, delivered. I started to go to Wally World and get those peel and stick letters but to me that screams no-pro more than card matching magnets.

I know a lot of web designers do not like Wix, but I took the time and did it right, made sure it doesn't take too much bandwidth to load, not too much flash, right sized pictures and layout, proper SEO and header code and meta tags, I did all the tests, even Google's mobile friendly test shows it to be mobile friendly. I am no website pro but I built my first one over 20 yrs ago. I have been thinking about moving though, over to Google. Or is that another no-no?

Besides, the main reason I mentioned my website at all was in the list comparing all the things I have done to craigslist

I know your not just hacking on me Nor am I you, I am just curious as to why customers would think my signs and website are tacky and un-pro. That's what really counts, the customer's thoughts, you know more about building businesses than me so I do value your opinion, I thought my matching cards, website and signs were pretty cool. That is until you bursted in and told me to throw it all in the trash, I'm stupid, LOL! (no no, I'm joking, just kidding )

Old 07-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #7
Non-conformist

Hi again, Chip. I'm glad you're taking my comments the way they were intended.

Admittedly, some magnets are nicer looking than others but the temporary nature of them has a psychological effect. It's not the graphics snob in me that accounts for my comments but numerous discussions with business professionals over many years. And yes, they have specifically mentioned this view of magnets. These are people who understand the dynamics of an effective presentation because they must make it for themselves and they naturally favor others who recognize it as well.

It's not snobbish to have a standard of excellence and it's not unreasonable to expect that in your choices of people/companies to deal with. Sure, looking down on other people is clearly prideful, but hiring a contractor based on their ability to "get" your higher expectations is not prideful. You'll find leader type people to be great clients but they're more difficult to win without demonstrating a willingness to invest in yourself.

The fact is, all of us appreciate the finer things in life. It's my observation that people who claim they don't want all that fluff in their life are telling themselves that so they can hopefully believe it. Listen carefully to their words and you'll hear statements of jealousy, judgment against anyone with "too much," or both. The truly contented can live at any level they choose and be happy, but they'll still welcome improvement.

With all that said, there's still a huge market segment that won't be influenced in any way by magnets vs. vehicle graphics. You obviously know that because it accounts for your customer base. I'm just giving you (and others here) a peak into what makes many high income people tick and how the extra investment in vehicle graphics would pay for itself many times over.

I checked further and your site is mobile friendly but I'm guessing it must use scripting instead of CSS for the "responsive" behavior. That's somewhat technical but the result is it appears more device sensitive than screen size driven. With a smaller browser window on a desktop, it generates the dreaded horizontal scroll bar. That could easily happen on other screens too. I checked it with an iPhone and it does adjust, however, the top banner is weird.

The 90's style design may not be a big deal to many people but upgrading the look will definitely provide a stronger impression which will translate into better responses. Sure, people know you're a seasoned and skilled remodeler and will cut you some slack for web design, but they'll still appreciate a nicer presentation, one that a good WP theme will provide.

I do strongly advise against the the black text on a red background. Even for people with perfect eyesight, that combination is harder to read. But one of the most common traits for people who are color blind is limited or non-existent ability to distinguish between black and red. The best color to use on red is white.

For sure, get rid of the visitor counter. That is an absolute no no.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbscreative For This Useful Post:
Chipfo (07-26-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #8
Accidental Painter

Trade: Who's paying?
Rewards Points: 1,262

Magnets can be hard to read while you're on the road driving. Start paying attention to other contractors vehicle's and see if you can tell who they are or what they do in the few seconds you see the vehicle.

Getting lettering makes it easier to accomplish that, as long as you keep it simple and big.

I see alot of guys with magnets on the road, and a majority of em I cant tell who they are or how to get ahold of em. I may be able to remember the sign said painting or roofing, but i can't tell you anything else about em.

Sure with a magnet people know who you are, but only while you are sitting idle in a parking lot or driveway. You want to maximize visibiity, and a magnet just does not accomplish that.

Can you read your magnet from a block away in someone else's driveway? You could if it was lettered up correctly.
Chipfo (07-26-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #9
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,152

When I see a truck with a magnet I assume he got laid off of whatever job he was doing prior and decided to be a "contractor". Here today, gone tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to heavy_d For This Useful Post:
Chipfo (07-26-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_d View Post
When I see a truck with a magnet I assume he got laid off of whatever job he was doing prior and decided to be a "contractor". Here today, gone tomorrow.

Ouch! That offends my truck magnets. *Sniffle*

Old 07-25-2017, 08:23 PM   #11
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDailey View Post
Ouch! That offends my truck magnets. *Sniffle*

No offense. Just my way of thinking. I started at the bottom (not that I'm much higher now) and it never crossed my mind to ever get truck magnets.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:40 PM   #12
Pro

Rewards Points: 266

I do think magnets beat "just a truck". I count two times my truck sign has gotten me business (that I know of). Occasionally people will ask me for my card at the Box Stores but nothing ever comes from it. If/when I can afford a new truck I'll have professionally designed graphics put on it. But not spending that money on a 14 year old F150. Until then a nice logo/graphic from vistaprint is better than nothing.

I think a clean old truck with a magnet looks better than a random old truck parked in someone's driveway.

What really makes me money is a free google business listing. A good website that is managed. Doing good work. Those small jobs that someone above mentioned have earned me lifelong customers, friends, and referrals.

Craigslist can work if you do it professionally.

When I first started out I'd put a flyer on the door of every house on the street I was working on.

I still get referral from them. As people to review you on Facebook and google.

Above that. Answer your phone. If you can't have a professional voicemail greeting. Return calls promptly. Be on time, dress professionally (I have a uniform; blue shirt, khaki carpenter pants. Always tucked in with a belt. Even with some paint on my clothes I still look better than the guy that shows up I. Shorts and a T-shirt.)

A typed estimate. A well kept job site and follow up after a job is well done and you'll stay busy.

I just send a bunch of "Hi how are ya" emails Saturday to previous customers and several want me to come do this or that.

Fair pricing. Not cheap/not crazy expensive.
It all takes time but even with truck magnets you'll stay busy.

The Following User Says Thank You to RMDailey For This Useful Post:
Chipfo (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,674

I say that if truck magnets work for you, then keep using them. I did some work for a firm that had me put sign magnets on my van, my van was blank then. This issue wasn't reading them or anything. It was just that they blew off when I was on the freeway.

I've spent big bucks on advertising on our vans now and we occasionally get calls from them. Big letters for name and phone numbers. Plus advertising on the back of the van for those behind us in traffic. So far in the years I have had the graphics on the vans, we've got about 50k to 60k worth of projects.
The Following User Says Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
Chipfo (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #14
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 196

Wrong thread lol

Old 07-27-2017, 07:15 AM   #15
P.R.O. Fessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDailey View Post
I do think magnets beat "just a truck". If/when I can afford a new truck I'll have professionally designed graphics put on it. But not spending that money on a 14 year old F150. Until then a nice logo/graphic from vistaprint is better than nothing.

I think a clean old truck with a magnet looks better than a random old truck parked in someone's driveway.

Craigslist can work if you do it professionally.

Fair pricing. Not cheap/not crazy expensive.
Exactly, when I have the work van I want, I will spend the $$ on good graphics, but this Suburban I got in a pinch and plan to resale, I can't see spending the money on, plus nobody would want it.

Yep Craigslist works for me, but like you said, it has to be professional and honest, I have even put "If you don't like my work at the end of the first day, I will leave - no charge". I have never had a taker. My ads still have both "Quality work at a fair price" and "I will not compromise quality even if it eats into my profit" <--- I have had to prove that. Craigslist ads is all in the wording, there is tons of ads so you have to make yours look real and legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
With all that said, there's still a huge market segment that won't be influenced in any way by magnets vs. vehicle graphics. You obviously know that because it accounts for your customer base. I'm just giving you (and others here) a peak into what makes many high income people tick and how the extra investment in vehicle graphics would pay for itself many times over.

I checked further and your site is mobile friendly, however, the top banner is weird.

I do strongly advise against the the black text on a red background. Even for people with perfect eyesight, that combination is harder to read. But one of the most common traits for people who are color blind is limited or non-existent ability to distinguish between black and red. The best color to use on red is white.

For sure, get rid of the visitor counter. That is an absolute no no.
I hear ya, and I see your point about how upscale people could view magnets, and after all I am targeting the upscale homes, it is what I am used to working in when I was foreman for others. I know my sites banner is weird on mobiles, I need to fix that. Good tip on the red and black, I seem to remember that now, I will change it. And about the visitor counter, never thought about it, your right, it will be gone, I will get a hidden one, or make that one hidden if I can. Thanks

Sorry Dominik if we hijacked your thread, I am trying to post replies and stay within your subject

Old 07-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #16
Non-conformist

Quote:
Sorry Dominik if we hijacked your thread, I am trying to post replies and stay within your subject
It's still all advertising related and directly relevant to making your presentation. I don't think we've strayed into anything that's not helpful to the conversation other than a little info exclusive to your site, but even that serves for illustration.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #17
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_d View Post

John
Old 07-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #18
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 358

Depending on what you do I think a wrap or lettering is unnecessary. I think GCs who wrap are generally trying to hard, the guys getting the big high end projects here don't have any lettering for the most part. I do think it can look sharp but I wouldn't want my truck wrapped up.

If your a service based contractor id wrap everything and get high visibility ads. For what we do I don't need many projects to get a few million in sales and I doubt id ever get a good project from an ad or a truck wrap. I know a lot of people think it's important for brand recognition and setting a first impression, I like to be more low key. Parade of Homes, awards in the press and job signs in front of nice projects dotted throughout the community are the brand recognition I look for.

Discerning clients in my experience don't hire someone for a 500k+ project off of anything but a referral.

I do know some GCs in larger urban areas with really nice websites and good seo that bring in high end leads that way. It's something we keep saying we will do but don't.

I would suggest networking with the local chamber, HBA, get involved with local civic groups, offer your expertise to non profits ect... Being a two term past president of the home builders association, past area VP of the state BA, and on several committees at the county and city level had garnered me a lot more work than any ad could. It does take a lot of time and some funding, but is worth it imo.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just offering this as an example of how several of your opinions of how the public view a magnet or not lettering yoir truck: I don't have room for another set of plans behind my headrest, which means I'm turning away more work than many contractors want to do in a year. Been slammed for several years.

Our markup pays for 2 full time office people, shop, office, 3 owners salarys, a few nice business related trips and conferences, nice late model crew cab 4x4s for three owners and a field supervisor, late model trucks for hands and on track to net more than 10% at years end. At least 4 projects deep for a year out, with several more in development.

We started out doing bathroom remodels/resides, repairs ect... 10 years ago. We built that on WOM. I spent 7 years of evenings building the contact list we have now networking at everything imaginable.

Our reputation is obviously not seen as part time, laid off or unprofessional. Only reason I occasionally put a magnet on is to get into the gated community's we work in a lot without waiting in line. The guards just wave you through.

Just as opposing opinion. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

John

Last edited by Jaws; 07-28-2017 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
StillRemodeling (11-04-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #19
Pro

Rewards Points: 236

It's all a gamble...but you have to stay at the table. I've spent $50 on advertising and picked up a job with 11k profit

I've also spent $500 and got nothing.

I was doing a porch repair one day and a lady across the street approached me...a brief examination and a business card...thought nothing of it....she apparently kept the card and called a year later......remodeled most of her house

Sometimes all it takes is one good client in the right area, at the right time and you can pull all your advertising for a year.

Sometimes you just get lucky....Sometimes you have no luck at all

You have to weigh your exposure, how you get it and how much it cost you and what it returns
cwatbay (07-28-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 05:56 PM   #20
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 2,712

I just got a bunch of the plastic alphabet magnets and spelled out my name and number on my truck, sometimes a random letter blows off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
avenge (07-28-2017), Jaws (07-28-2017)