Goal Setting Good Or Bad

Old 06-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Accidental Painter

Trade: We get PAID for this?!?!
Rewards Points: 452

Goal Setting Good Or Bad

I think it is an art. All businesses should have goals of some sort.

Obviously, setting goals should be looked as "climbing a stairway". One step at a time.

You should begin by looking at the long term. Ask yourself, where do you want be when you are 70 yrs old. That's pretty damned long term for most but the further ahead you look the better.

Now I can only speak for myself. I have made the comment before and I'll restate it here: I want to be a billionaire.

That's a BIG statement. But to get there I know I have to climb a ladder, or stairs. Alot of them. So, I sit back on my time off and set small goals. Nothing really time sensitive, but benchmarks to let me know where I stand.

I dove in with eyes wide open and zero money. My first goal was to get 2 clients doing anything. I had a rough idea of a business model and executed it.

I have more specific goals, and by sticking to them, i know where I stand in the scheme of things. And it makes the process of getting to the big finish more manageable.

There are examples all around us of goal setting. To be successful in life you have to do it. Otherwise, how would you ever know?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Solvent breather

Trade: Painting and Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,962

Re: Goal Setting Good Or Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftweed View Post

Obviously, setting goals should be looked as "climbing a stairway". One step at a time.

You should begin by looking at the long term. Ask yourself, where do you want be when you are 70 yrs old. That's pretty damned long term for most but the further ahead you look the better.

Now I can only speak for myself. I have made the comment before and I'll restate it here: I want to be a billionaire.

That's a BIG statement. But to get there I know I have to climb a ladder, or stairs. Alot of them. So, I sit back on my time off and set small goals. Nothing really time sensitive, but benchmarks to let me know where I stand.

I dove in with eyes wide open and zero money. My first goal was to get 2 clients doing anything. I had a rough idea of a business model and executed it.

I have more specific goals, and by sticking to them, i know where I stand in the scheme of things. And it makes the process of getting to the big finish more manageable.

There are examples all around us of goal setting. To be successful in life you have to do it. Otherwise, how would you ever know?
this is a great idea. you hit what you aim for.

Advertisement

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Money Maker

Trade: New Home Builder
Rewards Points: 624

As said in the other thread I believe in long term life goals. I also believe in personal and business short term goals. However as pointed out by another ember a sales goal can be bad. I don't set those. Everything is ok in moderation it seems and goal setting is definitely one of them. I for one set how many spec homes I want to build for sale in a year. How many I would to maybe rehab and rent over X amount of time ect.

Everyone sets goals wether. They realize it or not not only for business but for everyday personal stuff. For instance I just looked AT&T cable and Internet bill. I now set a goal to lower it! Lol
Old 06-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,036

One of the best books I have ever read concerning business and life in general is "Goals" by Brian Tracy

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Kent Whitten For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftweed View Post

It is funny that you and I have the same goal. I want to be a billionaire, too. I'm doing pretty good getting to my goal and I'm only about one-billion dollars short of being a billionaire.

I agree with your examples and can't argue that people should not use the term 'goal' when describing what they want to achieve in the future.

http://www.bestlineplumbing.com/accounting.htm
Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,134
Send a message via AIM to Cole82

Everyone is your best friend when you are successful....

The boss of awesome
Old 06-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 2,822

At what cost are you willing to pay to be a billionaire?

I believe in setting goals, and have plans in place to retire comfortably, but spending my life chasing the almighty dollar is very low on the list.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Money Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician
At what cost are you willing to pay to be a billionaire?

I believe in setting goals, and have plans in place to retire comfortably, but spending my life chasing the almighty dollar is very low on the list.
In order to retire comfortably wouldn't you indeed need to chase the almighty dollar first?
Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 2,676

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDel Prete View Post
In order to retire comfortably wouldn't you indeed need to chase the almighty dollar first?
He's an electrician - the dollar chases him anyways.

We builders would have a buck or two ourselves if it wasn't for those robber-baron sparkys.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
CENTERLINE MV (06-25-2013), EthanB (06-25-2013), Jaws (06-25-2013), TxElectrician (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
Money Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy

He's an electrician - the dollar chases him anyways.

We builders would have a buck or two ourselves if it wasn't for those robber-baron sparkys.
Ahhh I see. And ain't that the truth. Last quote for the electric work on a home took me back when I saw the number lol
Old 06-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 2,822

Different folks describe "comfortable" differently. All I'm saying is that, to me, there's a lot more important things than spending all my time trying to make a buck.
The Following User Says Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #12
Money Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxElectrician
Different folks describe "comfortable" differently. All I'm saying is that, to me, there's a lot more important things than spending all my time trying to make a buck.
I hear ya on that.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
Accidental Painter

Trade: We get PAID for this?!?!
Rewards Points: 452

Well...

At some point your business should be a self perpetuating money making machine. At least, that's my plan.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
Working

Maybe going to ruffle some feathers But this is my opinion.
Most goal setters are dreamers and not doers. People that do will all ways make money while dreamers will all ways dream about making money.

Cole

The boss of awesome
Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
Money Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftweed
Well...

At some point your business should be a self perpetuating money making machine. At least, that's my plan.
That's the goal for a lot of people though you will likely still be apart of it in some way.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
Money Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82
Maybe going to ruffle some feathers But this is my opinion.
Most goal setters are dreamers and not doers. People that do will all ways make money while dreamers will all ways dream about making money.

Cole
That may be true to a degree but there are lots of people who set the goals. Do what's needed to get there and keep on trucking.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 2,676

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDel Prete View Post
That may be true to a degree but there are lots of people who set the goals. Do what's needed to get there and keep on trucking.
Now there you go - that's what worked for me (and we are all different - I ain't saying everybody do this - or your wrong).

At age 27, I'd done a lot of stuff - a LOT - and hadn't accomplished a God-D*mned thing. My attitude was "well I didn't expect THIS - but I'm tough and would get right back up and go off on some new bone-headed adventure/crisis-in-the making.

It wasn't until I put a game plan on paper, laid out a course to follow to make it happen - that I changed anything at all. Sheesh that was a long time ago. Too much to go into.

I can sum it up this way: Until I set a game plan, Life happened to me. Once I had that, I made Life happen. And in the process, I got rid of this really huge chip on my shoulder.

Last edited by SmallTownGuy; 06-25-2013 at 10:59 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Jaws (06-25-2013), TxElectrician (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
Money Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy

Now there you go - that's what worked for me (and we are all different - I ain't saying everybody do this - or your wrong).

At age 27, I'd done a lot of stuff - a LOT - and hadn't accomplished a God-D*mned thing. My attitude was "well I didn't expect THIS - but I'm tough and would get right back up and go off on some new bone-headed adventure/crisis-in-the making.

It wasn't until I put a game plan on paper, laid out a course to follow to make it happen - that I changed anything at all. Sheesh that was a long time ago. Too much to go into.

I can sum it up this way: Until I set goals, Life happened to me. Once I had goals, I made Life happen. And in the process, I got rid of this really huge chip on my shoulder.
Nice. To each their own and for us setting some goals work. To others maybe not.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post

I got rid of this really huge chip on my shoulder.
I can't guve you enough :thum bup:

Cole

The boss of awesome
Old 06-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 510

I like setting goals. I am not to into this billionaire goal. I set quality of life goals. Finances play into this. I am convinced that when you over emphasize financial goals you set yourself up to overlook all the other things that cause the journey to be enjoyable.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to FrankSmith For This Useful Post:
TxElectrician (06-26-2013)