Cost Comparison: Re-Painting Vs. Vinyl Siding

Old 04-21-2009, 05:55 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Commercial Loading Dock and Door Contractor
Rewards Points: 592

Cost Comparison: Re-Painting Vs. Vinyl Siding

I have been asked to bid a Commercial exterior paint job, that will require a fair amount of carpentry and prep work. Total job is about 54 square.

There are many long runs without cuts, and I could easily vinyl side the job for less manhours than painting it.

My numbers are telling me that I can do the job in Vinyl for the same price as Paint. The prep would be reduced enough to actually pay for the vinyl. There are architectural details above the frieze board So that will stay paint.

Does anyone have any cost comparisons for Vinyl vs. Prep/Prime/Paint on large open areas?

www.BadcoDoors.com

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Pro

Re: Cost Comparison: Re-Painting Vs. Vinyl Siding

I double checked my numbers, and cannot offer the same price, I am coming 50% higher for Vinyl. anyone else ever compare the costs?

www.BadcoDoors.com
Old 04-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearce Services View Post
I double checked my numbers, and cannot offer the same price, I am coming 50% higher for Vinyl. anyone else ever compare the costs?
If we did our cheapest possible job, we would be at least double that of a painter.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:26 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 500

I do both painting and vinyl siding. As far as houses go, if the siding is in real bad shape the prep costs can add up real quick. Yes, painting is faster and can be done in a shorter amount of time in most cases, but vinyl siding is an alternative to offer to the customer. I probably switch 4 - 6 customers a year to siding.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I do both painting and vinyl siding. As far as houses go, if the siding is in real bad shape the prep costs can add up real quick. Yes, painting is faster and can be done in a shorter amount of time in most cases, but vinyl siding is an alternative to offer to the customer. I probably switch 4 - 6 customers a year to siding.
That was the thought on this project, a fair amount of prep, clapboard replacements, and existing Lead Paint. But after running the numbers by him, I think he is going to stay with the painting, (unfortunately)

www.BadcoDoors.com
Old 04-23-2009, 06:37 AM   #6

Trade: residential painting & carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

Why is painting unfortunate? Do it right and you'll be back in 5-6 years to paint it again. Vinyl is final; painting never ends.