Contractor Rights

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Registered User
 
faux finish's Avatar
 
Trade: faux finisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: N.C
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10

Contractor Rights


I finished a job, and was paid in full by the wife. Husband did not like the changes his wife made and I told him I would change it to make them a happy customer. I gave them a new date for the following week to fix the issues. She left a message on my machine that I don't have to come back they would take care of the problem themselves and would like some of their money back. I felt it would be better to walk away and agreed to give them the amount it would of cost me to go back and fix.Once they got their money, she went on Angies list and gave me F's across the board and accused me of being a lair, a crook and was just a horrible contractor.Then she filed a complaint with the BBB, she felt more money is due back and they only agreed to the amount because that's all they felt they would get out of me. My question is, if they wouldn't let be come back and "fix" the issues, what a my legal rights?
faux finish is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   
 

Old 08-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 13,930
Rewards Points: 6,890

Re: Contractor Rights


What a schmozzle...you have right to cure if you bunked something up, but if this is a husband/wife battle and the wife signed off on the work then I don't know what they have to complain about.

Obviously there are deeper rooted problems if they went out of their way to slam you on BBB and Angies....

Are you a lousy contractor?

__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is online now  
Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Pro
 
GTX63's Avatar
 
Trade: Contracting
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Midwest
Posts: 793
Rewards Points: 624

Re: Contractor Rights


Quote:
Originally Posted by faux finish View Post
I finished a job, and was paid in full by the wife. Husband did not like the changes his wife made and I told him I would change it to make them a happy customer.
If the above statement is correct, then there are pieces missing from the story. If he didn't like what his wife had you do then that is between them. Bid to make changes to his liking. You must have had a contract and she paid you in full. Sounds like the case is closed.
GTX63 is offline  
Old 08-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Registered User
 
faux finish's Avatar
 
Trade: faux finisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: N.C
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Contractor Rights


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
What a schmozzle...you have right to cure if you bunked something up, but if this is a husband/wife battle and the wife signed off on the work then I don't know what they have to complain about.

Obviously there are deeper rooted problems if they went out of their way to slam you on BBB and Angies....

Are you a lousy contractor?
I did a texture finish, the wife asked me to add more texture than what was on the sample board they approved. The husband didn't like the extra texture, I told him I would fix it and make them happy. I've been in business for over 25 years and never had someone flip like this.
faux finish is offline  
Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Pro
 
Astrix's Avatar
 
Trade: Insurance Broker - Commercial Construction
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 681
Rewards Points: 616

Re: Contractor Rights


I'm not sure how Angie's List handles rebuttals to posted reviews, i.e. is it possible for you to respond with your side of the story? How do they vet bad reviews before posting them on their site?

With the BBB, they will try to resolve the dispute between you and the customer; acting like a mediator. Any complaint filed by a disgruntled customer does not affect your rating unless the BBB sides with the customer because you were uncooperative or the complaint resolution process reveals that you were in the wrong. As you posted your business name in your profile, I had a quick look at the BBB website in your area and you currently have an A+ rating with no logged complaints.

BBB Business Review

As to your original question, most of your rights are spelled out in your contract.
Astrix is offline  
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Registered User
 
faux finish's Avatar
 
Trade: faux finisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: N.C
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Contractor Rights


Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX63 View Post
If the above statement is correct, then there are pieces missing from the story. If he didn't like what his wife had you do then that is between them. Bid to make changes to his liking. You must have had a contract and she paid you in full. Sounds like the case is closed.
I was there for 2 days doing this texture finish. Several times through out the 2 days she would pop in and I would ask her how was everything looking, her usual response was beautiful. At the end of the job the husband pointed out the color was off from the sample board and I agreed to come back and re due the color and that I would fix the texture while I was there at no extra cost. I told them that my only concern was to make them a happy and satisfied customer. Later that night she left a message on my machine they felt they would fix it on their own and wanted money back. Even after agreeing to everything they asked she went out of her way to bad mouth me every way possible. I would like to sue these people, there is no reason to do what they are doing.
faux finish is offline  
Old 08-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Registered User
 
faux finish's Avatar
 
Trade: faux finisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: N.C
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Contractor Rights


Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrix View Post
I'm not sure how Angie's List handles rebuttals to posted reviews, i.e. is it possible for you to respond with your side of the story? How do they vet bad reviews before posting them on their site?

With the BBB, they will try to resolve the dispute between you and the customer; acting like a mediator. Any complaint filed by a disgruntled customer does not affect your rating unless the BBB sides with the customer because you were uncooperative or the complaint resolution process reveals that you were in the wrong. As you posted your business name in your profile, I had a quick look at the BBB website in your area and you currently have an A+ rating with no logged complaints.
BBB Business Review

As to your original question, most of your rights are spelled out in your contract.
Thanks, I did a rebuttale on angies list and I think that's what got her so fired up.
faux finish is offline  
Old 08-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
General Contractor
 
greg24k's Avatar
 
Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,299
Rewards Points: 2,898

Re: Contractor Rights


Quote:
Originally Posted by faux finish View Post
I finished a job, and was paid in full by the wife. Husband did not like the changes his wife made and I told him I would change it to make them a happy customer. I gave them a new date for the following week to fix the issues. She left a message on my machine that I don't have to come back they would take care of the problem themselves and would like some of their money back. I felt it would be better to walk away and agreed to give them the amount it would of cost me to go back and fix.Once they got their money, she went on Angies list and gave me F's across the board and accused me of being a lair, a crook and was just a horrible contractor.Then she filed a complaint with the BBB, she felt more money is due back and they only agreed to the amount because that's all they felt they would get out of me. My question is, if they wouldn't let be come back and "fix" the issues, what a my legal rights?
First of all, if you got paid in full for the work well done, WTF are you going back to fix the changes you been asked to make? If the husband don't like what his wife asked you to do and he wants to undo... give him a new estimate not money back, because you did nothing wrong.

Second of all if you going back to change something free of charge, which wasn't your fault to begin with... WTF are you giving them the money back? Are you not telling us something?... because none of it makes any sense...

Third of all, you got yourself into this mess, and like I said before, unless you not telling us something... for them to go and make such efforts to f^*k you up like this in every place, I think they're whacked out or something else went down... Did you bang the wife by any chance and husband got jealous?

Kidding aside, if there is no wrong doing on your part and you say the way it is, you have a good case of deformation of character, profit loss, and special damages case... with that said BBB will not publish the complaint unless they find you guilty, I don't know what policy rules about complaints Angie's list follows... but if they posted the complaints without giving you a chance to dispute this claims, get busy and start writing letters, to have theirs complaints removed and save all documentation, because you will need it if it goes further.

Good luck
__________________
I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!
greg24k is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greg24k For This Useful Post:
BC Carpenter (08-16-2012), I Mester (08-15-2012), Tech Dawg (08-16-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
Pro
 
SSC's Avatar
 
Trade: Interior Remodeling Specialists
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 1,273
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Contractor Rights


Something sounds fishy. . .
__________________

The Finest in Interior Renovations
SSC is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SSC For This Useful Post:
essrmo (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
Pro
 
Gary H's Avatar
 
Trade: Framer
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Munger Michigan
Posts: 2,885
Rewards Points: 2,278

Re: Contractor Rights


I filed with the BBB once over a 4 wheeler I bought new, but found out later that it was wrecked and rebuilt. Tried to get my money back and they said no way. After much running around, the BBB told me there is nothing they could do. This was back in the early 90's so maybe they got tougher.
Gary H is offline  
Old 08-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
Pro
 
Astrix's Avatar
 
Trade: Insurance Broker - Commercial Construction
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 681
Rewards Points: 616

Re: Contractor Rights


GaryH: I don't think the BBB has changed much from when you dealt with them back in the 90s.

Local BBBs are individually owned franchises, so depending on who is running the BBB in your area, you will get varying levels of interest in helping you mediate your dispute.

Furthermore, many people believe that the BBB actually has powers to enforce a contract. Not true. They offer a mediation service as an alternative to the harsher tactic of suing in court. That is why if a lawsuit has already been filed, they won't get involved.

Both parties have to voluntarily agree to the mediation process. If one or the other doesn't want to sit down at the table to negotiate a mutually acceptable settlement, then the BBB can't force it and they simply close out their file.

In the case of a scammer fraudulently selling a rebuilt ATV as new, it is doubtful that this criminal would reply to the BBB. Only legitimate businesses who are interested in preserving their good reputation will try to resolve a customer complaint. Depending on who you are dealing with, sometimes you just have to go direct to the courts or the police as the BBB is useless.
Astrix is offline  
Old 08-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
Pro
 
aptpupil's Avatar
 
Trade: Handyman
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: oakland, ca
Posts: 1,676
Rewards Points: 1,172

Re: Contractor Rights


if you're actually in the right, and they're not totally crazy, then have your lawyer send them a little letter about defamation of character and they'll probably drop things.
aptpupil is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to aptpupil For This Useful Post:
BC Carpenter (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
Guy who makes things
 
UALocal1Plumber's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumbing
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 295
Rewards Points: 254

Re: Contractor Rights


Quote:
Originally Posted by aptpupil
if you're actually in the right, and they're not totally crazy, then have your lawyer send them a little letter about defamation of character and they'll probably drop things.
Hold on a second. Someone has the right to speak negatively about you. It's called being in America. They can say that you did a bad job, or that you misled them, or that they feel cheated, or even that it would please them if someone picked up a knife and stabbed you to death.

None of those things are defaming to your character. If they say something that is not true, like you have no idea what you're doing, it is still not defamation. Defamation only exists when the speaker knows that what they're saying is a lie - in that case, the speaker has no idea what your qualifications are and can easily believe that you in fact have no idea what you're doing.

Trying to initiate a legal action because you have a dissatisfied customer.??? Please!!! Maybe you should grow up! You can't please everyone and even though you should try to, you're not in control of their satisfaction in the end.

Do good work, be an honest person, treat people with respect and the yelp review won't count for ****.

Keith
__________________
"To pipe" means to install a plumbing system, not "to plumb". When someone says that they "plumbed the house in" I want to cringe. What you told me is that you held a 6' level against the wall.
UALocal1Plumber is offline  
Old 08-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
General Contractor
 
greg24k's Avatar
 
Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,299
Rewards Points: 2,898

Re: Contractor Rights


Quote:
Originally Posted by UALocal1Plumber View Post
Hold on a second. Someone has the right to speak negatively about you. It's called being in America. They can say that you did a bad job, or that you misled them, or that they feel cheated, or even that it would please them if someone picked up a knife and stabbed you to death.

None of those things are defaming to your character. If they say something that is not true, like you have no idea what you're doing, it is still not defamation. Defamation only exists when the speaker knows that what they're saying is a lie - in that case, the speaker has no idea what your qualifications are and can easily believe that you in fact have no idea what you're doing.

Do good work, be an honest person, treat people with respect and the yelp review won't count for ****.

Keith
Keith, you're right this is USA and you can say anything you want, but you wrong about Defamation... and if he did everything they asked him to do as he said, and now they're doing this to him, that is Defamation of Character... If you look it up what it means in legal terms... Defamation is false and unprivileged spoken words or written publication, which exposes any living person to hatred, contempt, ridicule, or which causes him/her to be shunned or avoided, or which has a tendency to injure him/her in his/her trade or occupation.

So if someone writes some BS about you and that lowers your reputation, or it keeps people from associating with you or your business, then that is defamation and that is what they doing in his situation based on his story, so he has a case.
__________________
I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!
greg24k is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to greg24k For This Useful Post:
BC Carpenter (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #15
Guy who makes things
 
UALocal1Plumber's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumbing
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 295
Rewards Points: 254

Re: Contractor Rights


Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k

Keith, you're right this is USA and you can say anything you want, but you wrong about Defamation... and if he did everything they asked him to do as he said, and now they're doing this to him, that is Defamation of Character... If you look it up what it means in legal terms... Defamation is false and unprivileged spoken words or written publication, which exposes any living person to hatred, contempt, ridicule, or which causes him/her to be shunned or avoided, or which has a tendency to injure him/her in his/her trade or occupation.

So if someone writes some BS about you and that lowers your reputation, or it keeps people from associating with you or your business, then that is defamation and that is what they doing in his situation based on his story, so he has a case.
Ok, you're using a dictionary definition of defame. In legal terms, in order to prove defamation, YOU need to PROVE in court that three things happened:

The other person spoke a lie;

That the other person knew that they spoke a lie and what the effects of the lie would be;

That you suffered actual injury as a result of that person's actions.


If someone says "that person is a jerk", it is not defamation because it is impossible to prove or disprove that someone is a jerk. If however they say "that person is a child molester and should be avoided" it is easier to prove or disprove that fact. Defamation: "John is a fraud who steals money from old ladies and then rapes them in stolen cars". Not defamation: "John is a douchebag who overcharges people because of his small penis, and should be beaten about the head neck chest face and genitals with a sock filled with razor blades".


Guess what dude, NOBODY sues for defamation because they're virtually impossible to win. And why would you waste your time with something like that? Are you 12? are your feelings really devastated because someone spoke poorly about you? And if you think you can live in a world where nobody logs onto the internet to complain about you, you're living a dream.



Keith
__________________
"To pipe" means to install a plumbing system, not "to plumb". When someone says that they "plumbed the house in" I want to cringe. What you told me is that you held a 6' level against the wall.
UALocal1Plumber is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to UALocal1Plumber For This Useful Post:
jamestrd (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
Pro
 
ranteso's Avatar
 
Trade: really?, Contractor Talk is for "Professionals"?
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 333
Rewards Points: 424

Re: Contractor Rights


Most people are reasonable, most people do not want a conflict , and most problems contractors experience are of their own creation.
ranteso is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ranteso For This Useful Post:
jamestrd (08-16-2012), Tom Struble (08-16-2012), UALocal1Plumber (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #17
Pro
 
jamestrd's Avatar
 
Trade: wood flooring
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,695
Rewards Points: 1,254

Re: Contractor Rights


Quote:
Originally Posted by ranteso View Post
Most people are reasonable, most people do not want a conflict , and most problems contractors experience are of their own creation.

that's because we are people too, with thoughts and emotions....but I don't whole heartily agree with that statement..

sometimes people are douchebags and sometimes they want or expect too much.

as to the OP...who cares what someone wrote on angies list..
i had a client we worked on 4 years ago recently bash us for a job we did 4 years ago..that was a first.

just make your rebuttal, don't sound conflicted or vengeful..just put your side there and move on..

As for the defamation case..I don't think a lawyer will touch it..they would be stealing your money if they did..its weak at best
__________________
James Hernandez
All Flortec Inc.
West Milford,NJ
www.flortechardwood.net
jamestrd is offline  
Old 08-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #18
Pro
 
A-1 INTERIORS's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Improvement
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: mass
Posts: 470
Rewards Points: 268

Re: Contractor Rights


I think you can just state your side of the story an angies list as an answer to these people ,i am sure you have many positive reviews already and 1 bad one wont hurt your business especially if people see your side of the story most will realize these folks were working together playing good guy bad guy and when you tried to make them happy they took advantage of you, (they gave you opposing requests and you did your best to make them happy ) unfortunately some people are scumbags and will try to get over every chance they can
Hold your head up and move on brother you did what you could
that doesn't mean you still couldn't have your lawyer send a letter to tell them to cut the *****
A-1 INTERIORS is offline  
Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #19
General Contractor
 
greg24k's Avatar
 
Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,299
Rewards Points: 2,898

Re: Contractor Rights


Quote:
Originally Posted by UALocal1Plumber View Post
Ok, you're using a dictionary definition of defame. In legal terms, in order to prove defamation, YOU need to PROVE in court that three things happened:

The other person spoke a lie;

That the other person knew that they spoke a lie and what the effects of the lie would be;

That you suffered actual injury as a result of that person's actions.


If someone says "that person is a jerk", it is not defamation because it is impossible to prove or disprove that someone is a jerk. If however they say "that person is a child molester and should be avoided" it is easier to prove or disprove that fact. Defamation: "John is a fraud who steals money from old ladies and then rapes them in stolen cars". Not defamation: "John is a douchebag who overcharges people because of his small penis, and should be beaten about the head neck chest face and genitals with a sock filled with razor blades".


Guess what dude, NOBODY sues for defamation because they're virtually impossible to win. And why would you waste your time with something like that? Are you 12? are your feelings really devastated because someone spoke poorly about you? And if you think you can live in a world where nobody logs onto the internet to complain about you, you're living a dream.



Keith
You couldn't come up with a better example...Maybe you should see a specialist about that...because every example you came up with had rape, genitals, penis,child molestations,etc in it... Not only these examples makes no sense, it sounds like you have a few lose screws someplace.
__________________
I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!
greg24k is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greg24k For This Useful Post:
CScalf (12-18-2012), Rustbucket (08-17-2012), SSC (08-16-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
Guy who makes things
 
UALocal1Plumber's Avatar
 
Trade: Plumbing
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 295
Rewards Points: 254

Re: Contractor Rights


Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k

You couldn't come up with a better example...it sounds like you have a few lose screws someplace.
Hahahahaha I won't disagree with you on that!

Keith

__________________
"To pipe" means to install a plumbing system, not "to plumb". When someone says that they "plumbed the house in" I want to cringe. What you told me is that you held a 6' level against the wall.
UALocal1Plumber is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?