Christmas Bonus

Old 12-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Christmas Bonus

What type of Christmas bonus do you give to your employees.
Obviously some deserve more than others for a multitude of reasons.
Is there a certain protocol that you all follow?
Mike

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
I eat sawdust.

Trade: Deck Design/Build
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Christmas Bonus

I'm just going to give some extra money, I think. They've been with me for just over a month, so nothing big, just enough to make them feel appreciated.

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre

lead guys 4-$500, second tier 2-$300 each

Old 12-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Self Employed Moron
Rewards Points: 6

I told him he was going to have a job after Christmas.

I'm self employed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 12-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Contracting, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 113

I am an employee and I received $500 last year.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

Dinner tomorrow night and $ 100.00 for each month you've been with me since last Christmas...plus you can have Thursday off (without pay), but you're working Saturday to make up for it
Old 12-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Colorado master electrician, EC, B-1 GC

I liked end of the year profit sharing, about 3% of employees pay. In the mail for about Jan 29 or 30. Ham for Christmas. Alot less bitching..
Old 12-23-2008, 12:04 AM   #8

Trade: Siding, Windows, Doors, Decks, Carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

Man, I wish I could do that this year... but my rule of thumb was $500 (no tax burden for the recipient, in my state) for all of the foremen and smaller gift certificates for everyone else under them That seemed to work well all these years. We also had safety awards quarterly. Man, I miss those days. Lately I'm handing out pink slips and handshakes
Old 12-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement General Contractor

Great input guys. Every year I wonder if I am giving enough.
It seems as though I have been.
Thank you,
Mike

Last edited by Mellison; 12-23-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
Carpenter

Trade: General Contractor

As an employee, years ago, I received $5000 (yes $5000) as a Christmas bonus. It was a small company and every carpenter received the same as long as they were employed all year long.

Wonder if they are hiring now
Old 12-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzoMaryland View Post
As an employee, years ago, I received $5000 (yes $5000) as a Christmas bonus. It was a small company and every carpenter received the same as long as they were employed all year long.

Wonder if they are hiring now
Yeah I remember those days. My guys would take 2 week vacations or buy used cars for their kids with their bonus money. This year the bonuses might be enough to put gas in their trucks or a round of drinks.

They know its been a hard year but I still feel like crap. When you start off giving bonuses like that. It hurts when you can't keep it up. I was almost over it till you posted that .

I am gonna whop santa's ass when he comes this year. Cheap bastid

Last edited by rbsremodeling; 12-24-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #12
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,060
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason Whipple

I have three guys that have been with me for about 6 months. They each got $500. The other two have been with us for about 4 to 5 weeks and I gave them $200. All cash.

Everyone was happy about it and thanked me before and after they knew how much it was. My foreman never said a word about it!
Old 12-24-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun

Trade: Deck Designer/Builder
Rewards Points: 1,000

We're going to be doing a miture of cash & gift cards, since I have some of those on file, and can get a few more with points.

It was a good year, but a very tight close... each guy will end up with around $250-350 and dinner. Oh, and 1/2 of Christmas Eve & 1/2 of New Year's Eve is paid for all as well.

~Matt
Old 12-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #14

Trade: Contractor - Builder
Rewards Points: 10

I gave my guy's $1000 each. I hope they spend it wisely.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #15
Carpenter

Trade: General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
Yeah I remember those days. My guys would take 2 week vacations or buy used cars for their kids with their bonus money. This year the bonuses might be enough to put gas in their trucks or a round of drinks.

They know its been a hard year but I still feel like crap. When you start off giving bonuses like that. It hurts when you can keep it up. I was almost over it till you posted that .

I am gonna whop santa's ass when he comes this year. Cheap bastid
Sorry to drum up those hard feelings. Kick a few back and initiate that comfortably numb status. It won't be long before you and Santa will be pals again.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Drywall Finisher
Rewards Points: 250

I gave my 2 guys $2000 each-no thanks or recognition of it though.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #17
Crash Test Dummy

Trade: Landscaping
Rewards Points: 1,000

I do not have full time employees. Just part time seasonal/occasional help. And 90% of the work they do for me is over the summer, but Christmas, I take them out for a day of golfing at our fancy pants high muckity-muck PGA course. Great fun for all. None of us can golf, and it's the only time we ever set foot on a golf course, so we have a blast. And sneaking beer on the course just makes it that much more entertaining. And we've only been kicked out once!

I remember many years ago when I worked at Safeway, out christmas bonus was a 5 % off(yes, five) coupon. No matter how long you worked there.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #18

Trade: Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason W View Post
I have three guys that have been with me for about 6 months. They each got $500. The other two have been with us for about 4 to 5 weeks and I gave them $200. All cash.

Everyone was happy about it and thanked me before and after they knew how much it was. My foreman never said a word about it!
Boy dont that just p!ss you off! I got the same thing last Christmas things were great and we were smack in the middle of a 8 unit townhouse frame up. I had a nice Christmas party at my house for the 8 men and their wives, kids etc.. we had shrimp, king crab legs, and new york strips! plus my wife had bought gifts for all the men you know heavy hoods and like. Plus I gave them all bonuses in cash lead man 500. working down like 50. a man. about 1/2 the guys thanked me over and over and the other half kinda felt a sense of entitlement! guess what this year Im a broke puppy and they aint getting jack! they will have to be happy if i got work after Christmas into the new year. Color me Scrooge Merry Christmas Guys!
Old 12-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

I used to give my crew leaders about $1,000 to $15,00, every Christmas, and the helpers received $500. Throughout the year, I paid for all their power tools, gave them several bonuses, totaling to about another $5,000, per year, paid for uniforms, etc.

Ironically, every year, for about 15 years, I either fired about two-thirds of my employees, just after New Years, or they quit. It took me that long to realize, I did not have to give my employees money, to keep keep them, or to make them happy. No longer, do I pay for uniforms, nor give bonuses. I realized, if the employees want more money, it is better to make them work for it. They get paid very well, every week, for what they do, and I do not feel I owe a bonus.

These days, I give my employees $50, for Thanksgiving, and $100, for Christmas. This year, I did not give them $100, for Christmas. I would have to pay about $3,000, that will be better spent, for advertising. This way, they will make even more money, by having more work. We are like a family and everyone understands. Even though, we beat our sales, by about 5%, our advertising costs ate up a lot of our expendable cash.

When you give a bonus, the employees love the money. They feel they are entitled to the money, but, in their mind, the money is not a gift, nor a good gesture. Therefore, if there is no appreciation, for the gratuity, then where is the reason for giving away several thousand dollars.

I'm not Santa Claus! more like Scrooge. No Joke.

But.....Merry Christmas, anyway.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:46 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcplumber View Post
I used to give my crew leaders about $1,000 to $15,00, every Christmas, and the helpers received $500. Throughout the year, I paid for all their power tools, gave them several bonuses, totaling to about another $5,000, per year, paid for uniforms, etc.

Ironically, every year, for about 15 years, I either fired about two-thirds of my employees, just after New Years, or they quit. It took me that long to realize, I did not have to give my employees money, to keep keep them, or to make them happy. No longer, do I pay for uniforms, nor give bonuses. I realized, if the employees want more money, it is better to make them work for it. They get paid very well, every week, for what they do, and I do not feel I owe a bonus.

These days, I give my employees $50, for Thanksgiving, and $100, for Christmas. This year, I did not give them $100, for Christmas. I would have to pay about $3,000, that will be better spent, for advertising. This way, they will make even more money, by having more work. We are like a family and everyone understands. Even though, we beat our sales, by about 5%, our advertising costs ate up a lot of our expendable cash.

When you give a bonus, the employees love the money. They feel they are entitled to the money, but, in their mind, the money is not a gift, nor a good gesture. Therefore, if there is no appreciation, for the gratuity, then where is the reason for giving away several thousand dollars.

I'm not Santa Claus! more like Scrooge. No Joke.

But.....Merry Christmas, anyway.
Im only an employee, i have been very grateful for any xmas bonus, i DO think hearing from guys in the field, that they feel entitled to it, profit sharing is entitlement, (if the company is set up that way) but xmas bonus' are GIFTS. i think people lose sight of that

Advertisement