Builder's Show 2018

Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Home Builder
Rewards Points: 475

Builder's Show 2018

Headed to Orlando today, if my counting is correct this is the 36th annual builder's show I've attended. I think what I've learned over the years as a result of attending has been the most important thing I've done to better my business.

Anyone else going?
SmallTownGuy (01-12-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #2

Trade: Residential Contracting
Rewards Points: 112

Re: Builder's Show 2018

See you there. First time attending, so many educational sessions that were looking to attend, not sure how we will even have time to visit the vendors!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Builder
Rewards Points: 475

LPG:

You will have a good time, lots to see and hear. In addition to great seminars and acres of exhibits, there is something called the "Centrals", which are large meeting rooms for various groups, remodelers, custom builders, multi-family, etc. People meet there for breakfast, lunch, dinner, food is very average but in addition there are always speakers and a great way to meet other contractors.

Allan

Old 01-10-2018, 02:19 AM   #4
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 464

Day one down and there was a lot to see. Saw Gary Katz showing his skills today and may head back to check out Vanilla Ice tomorrow!

I didn't sign up for the education breakout's this year, but you can easily bounce back and forth between the West hall and classrooms all day and take a full day to get through half of the convention hall.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 1,123

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDB View Post
Day one down and there was a lot to see. Saw Gary Katz showing his skills today and may head back to check out Vanilla Ice tomorrow!

I didn't sign up for the education breakout's this year, but you can easily bounce back and forth between the West hall and classrooms all day and take a full day to get through half of the convention hall.
What’s does VI showcase? How to do ****ty work? I saw his show on Netflix once and scanned through his work. Paused HD is not his friend.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #6

Trade: roof cleaning
Rewards Points: 120

What is the most important 2 or 3 things you have learned over 36 years of attending this? Please don't say "don't stay out in the sun too long or you will burn bad". Just kidding. Very curious. Wondering if it would help someone in a sub trade like mine - roofing and roof repair?

Tony
Pro-Long Roof Care
Old 01-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #7

So here is a quick recap of what we did and experienced.

Went to a ton of seminars/shows/whatever you want to call them. Some of the 30 minute sessions were really a waste of time(sorry) but to be expected, there is no way to cover any topic in 30 minutes like using technology/branding/etc.

Now to the positive- the longer classes were really awesome. Some notable ones, were the change order class by Dennis Dixon, a sales seminar on the last day, getting and using pre construction agreements, and probably a few I'm forgetting. There was a show which touched on how to deal with difficult clients, pointing out several personality types- and how you should and shouldn't act around them given by a psychologist. Pretty interesting.

Some of the most interesting information I received was sitting down or speaking with the speakers after the shows. Couldn't believe how open most of them were and how much they were willing to share.

We didn't necessarily walk away experts in any of the show topics, but they set the ideas in motion, and we will be implementing many new things from the show, especially regarding contracts,change orders, and accounting wise.

Side note- apparently they will be posting the seminars online in a few weeks which you can re listen to, or listen to, if you missed originally. But you must have attended.

Bought two new books I had never heard of from bookstore-
1) Finding hidden profits by Dennis Dixon
2) Home builder contracts and construction management forms- by "builder books"

Also had a chance to speak with the companies reps at the show with product specific questions.

Got a few new ideas at the show that Id like to present to clients as options.

Overall, really great show. I am a home remodeler(95%) and builder (other 5%), that said, if you were a trade contractor-electrician, etc. I am not sure you would gain a lot from the show.

Hope everyone else had a good time.

OH yeah and the most important thing we did. SIGNED UP FOR BUILDERTREND.

We are a mom and pop company, my wife and I, subbing out the majority of the work. Have used Procore in the past with past employer and recognize how much efficiency, organization and professional appearance to clients can be improved through a program like BT or ProCore.

Last edited by LPG; 01-12-2018 at 03:33 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LPG For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (01-13-2018), r a s (01-12-2018), SmallTownGuy (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanE View Post
LPG:

You will have a good time, lots to see and hear. In addition to great seminars and acres of exhibits, there is something called the "Centrals", which are large meeting rooms for various groups, remodelers, custom builders, multi-family, etc. People meet there for breakfast, lunch, dinner, food is very average but in addition there are always speakers and a great way to meet other contractors.

Allan
Unfortunately did not spend any time in those meeting rooms, as I brought the wife, and lunch time was....well wife time. Wish I would have seen your comment before attending.

Still working on building up some other contractors as mentors/friends as my typical M.O. has been read every book I can get my hands on, post newbie questions on contractor talk, and then wing it...

Im probably not the only young contractor looking for an elder to take them under their wing to offer constructive criticism and help when needed. The show would have been great for that....
Old 01-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #9

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 18

I attended this show, for about the 10th year in a row. I probablty been to at least 20 of them over the past 30 years. I recommend it to every builder/remodeler.

By attending, you are forced to get away from your daily routine. The networking allows you to talk with other builders/remodelers who are not your competition, and will give you tips and ideas, they wouldn't share at the local level.

The education seminars are very good, and you will go away with ideas and tips that you can integrate in your business. There is something for the smaller individual builder, as well as someone who has a large operation.

Advertisement