Back To School...

Old 10-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 254

Back To School...

Any of you guys that have been around a while ever go back to school for a construction management or similar degree? I'd want to keep my business up and running, and have a guy working for me that could balance it if I went in the mornings or afternoons.

I've been in business since 2006, weathered some storms, and am still in it. Not doing fantastic but still in it. We do residential remodeling. I've beat the Michael Stone quote '95% of contractors fail in the first five years stuff...". I'm proud of that.

I'm considering going back to school to learn more about the business side of things. Well, about anything construction really. And anything business. I went to school following high school, but didn't finish my degree.

Any of you guys do this? I'm curious what you're take on it was - beneficial or not? Did you keep the business up and running? How?

If not in school, what do you do to continue learning about the industry and challenging yourself to stay on top of the game?

milhaus

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
living the dream

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Back To School...

Contractor Talk need i say more

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,678

School/Education is great & a valuable tool.

However, there is no substitute for experience...

Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 6,282

Check with NARI and NAHB for designation courses. They give a lot of insight into the business side.

John
Old 10-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Pro

I figured 'contractor talk' would come up - I used to sit for hours reading posts on here. Maybe I should start that again...don't really know why I quit? Oh - yeah - addictive personality - I got sucked into wanting to check my posts all the time. Had to quit for a while.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #6

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 81

schooling teaches you the specifics, regulations, and various minutia that is often used nowhere else but in tests for schooling. However, it can on occasion teach you useful things outside of general field knowledge, and more importantly network you with people you may need to know to advance in more practical aspects. More schooling = more power = more pay.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Pro

Griz - I agree.
The Following User Says Thank You to Milhaus For This Useful Post:
Jaws (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
Pro

I've thought about NARI for a while. No one, that I know of, keeps a chapter going in my area. And I've questioned whether or not it would really benefit me or my business. Seems like many organizations get kind of jaded at that level. Maybe I'm wrong there. I certainly hope so.

I'm a green building freak as well, and the last time I looked into NARI I didn't think they were pushing it as hard (or as thorough) as I thought they should.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Pro

For those of you with NARI certification - what is your take on it? Worth the investment?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Design/Build

Trade: Design/Build
Rewards Points: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhaus
I've thought about NARI for a while. No one, that I know of, keeps a chapter going in my area. And I've questioned whether or not it would really benefit me or my business. Seems like many organizations get kind of jaded at that level. Maybe I'm wrong there. I certainly hope so.

I'm a green building freak as well, and the last time I looked into NARI I didn't think they were pushing it as hard (or as thorough) as I thought they should.
If you are interested in green building and education have you looked into LEED or Earthcraft (Southeastern US) certification?

Depending on your market the ability to do a LEED project could be a valuable selling point.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 9,840

It's been a couple of decades, but yes, I did the NAHB sponsored Graduate Builder Certification/degree thru MSU. Did it on long weekends - forget how long it took. Best d*mned money I ever spent.

They used regular MSU profs, cram, cram, cram - push, push, push. No longer did I sit slack-jawed when my accountant or somebody with a Master in bus admin started yakking - I understood it, and ran my business by what I learned.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #12
Pro

Really? Like I said, I've thought about NARI for quite a while, just haven't pulled the plug on it. I follow the guys at Building Science on a regular basis. I think they have the best overall strategy at energy efficiency at this point. I was all about LEED back when I started the business, but have backed off a bit to really dig into my ideas on how the green building culture should advance. There's a lot of politics in it from what I see, and I'm not sold on the trade-offs really. You can use this nasty product but offset it by doing this great thing over here. I appreciate the approach, but don't know that I believe in it fully. There has to be balance, just not sold on it yet.

Advertisement