Wow... Screw The Pa... Its Cheaper And Faster To Just Go To Appraisal

Old 06-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 878

Wow... Screw The Pa... Its Cheaper And Faster To Just Go To Appraisal

unless you can write a good estimate.

i have a customer that was paid 25k for their claim, I supplemented the claim for 65k and sent it in with my pictures and the adjuster approved it without even doing a reinspection. wow. im SHOCKED.

so IN RE TO MY "WHAT A PA CAN DO FOR YOUR INCOME" THREAD

you only need a PA when you have coverage issues. such as the carrier denying a covered loss. refusing to pay for things they should have.

otherwise all you need is appraisal. if even that. if its a scope or pricing issue, appraisal is all you need.

once the carrier opens coverage on something you dont need a pa anymore. for instance, a roof gets damaged and the adjuster tries to slope the roof or buy 100 shingles... he has opened coverage on
the roof

agreeing to pay for part of anything is opening coverage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (06-06-2017), hdavis (06-04-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
New Guy

Trade: Law
Rewards Points: 4

Re: Wow... Screw The Pa... Its Cheaper And Faster To Just Go To Appraisal

Appraisal will sometimes "split the baby" or bully your homeowner both leading to short settlements and often the umpire is selected by the insurance company. Additionally it is binding so if you have strong evidence that you should be paid your full estimate I would advise pursuing the entire amount you are owed using the legal system.

In appraisal you need to continue to follow up and participate in the process which takes time away from your actual roofing work and finding new jobs. I have a lot of clients who immediately send any insurance dispute to me since they can sink hours into dealing with these issues and would rather just let the expert handle it. Helps that in some states I can get legal fees paid by the insurance company in addition to the underlying claim

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 858

9 times out of ten we're able to settle with the carrier without having to get a third party involved. Having a track record of claims with that carrier and providing all the necessary documentation really helps that along. The other 10% of jobs it's just easier to let a third party handle the negotiation and then come in and do the work.

You will find certain carriers that ALWAYS lowball the project and put up a huge fight. It's just not worth wasting your time on those companies when a PA is happy to step in and do it for the HO.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofing Lawyer View Post
Appraisal will sometimes "split the baby" or bully your homeowner both leading to short settlements and often the umpire is selected by the insurance company. Additionally it is binding so if you have strong evidence that you should be paid your full estimate I would advise pursuing the entire amount you are owed using the legal system.

In appraisal you need to continue to follow up and participate in the process which takes time away from your actual roofing work and finding new jobs. I have a lot of clients who immediately send any insurance dispute to me since they can sink hours into dealing with these issues and would rather just let the expert handle it. Helps that in some states I can get legal fees paid by the insurance company in addition to the underlying claim
The only way we agree to a lesser settlement than rightfully deserved is if the cost of an attorney or pursuing the settlement outweighs the cost of losing. For example. If the disputed value between 2 appraisers was 6000 with a 16000 claim value, id say 700 bucks for the umpire to split the difference isnt a bad deal. its not a great deal but theres still an increase.

if the disputed value was 6000 and the total value was 16000, an attorney would take 33% of the total value which =5280 I would not advise the customer to litigate even if the customer had a slam dunk case.

Plus appraisal can be done and over within 2 weeks. An attorney would take 2 years and take a considerable amount of the customers and roofers time.

The umpire is chosen by the 2 appraisers. Not by one party. Each appraiser has an umpire list and the umpires are well known by both parties. Once the claim goes to appraisal, no one has to follow up. No one is even allowed to follow up. The two appraisers duke it out to determine the value of the loss.

As an appraiser working for a PA I usually shoot for getting 80% of what they ask for because they do inflate the estimate a little.

As an appraiser working for the homeowner I shoot for getting 100% of what I ask for because I dont fluff my estimates. My reputation is more important to me than money..

often times the umpire will split the difference but that's only when the differences could be ruled either way. In that case you just inflate your estimate and give the umpire something to take away that you dont care about. its counter productive if you ask me.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 20,340

But don't you also have to consider the cost of the PA? Not knowing that industry in much detail, my understanding is that can be 10-25% of the amount received, is that correct?

Also, is that 10-25% over what the insurance company initially offered before PA, or the difference between that and the new number the PA was able to negotiate?
Old 07-26-2017, 03:04 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
But don't you also have to consider the cost of the PA? Not knowing that industry in much detail, my understanding is that can be 10-25% of the amount received, is that correct?

Also, is that 10-25% over what the insurance company initially offered before PA, or the difference between that and the new number the PA was able to negotiate?
I'm talking about skipping the PA all together and just going to appraisal. you only need a pa if youre having coverage issues. Like the carrier wont buy a roof that is clearly hail damaged.

if youre having problems with scope or pricing, just invoke the appraisal clause. you hire an appraiser and the carrier hires an appraiser and the two of them go to the loss site and write their own scope ... well they aren't really supposed to write their own scope they just review the differences in estimates and figure out whos right.

A PA will take 10% of the total claim or 25% of the increase.

for example if y0u already had ten thousand and a pa got you 10 more
10 % of the total value is 2000
25% of the increase is 2500

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
KAP (07-26-2017)