Why Am I Hardly Selling Roofs?

Old 09-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #1

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 4

Why Am I Hardly Selling Roofs?

I'm a general contractor that specializes in roofing in south Texas. With Harvey having just hit, I am currently trying to sell insurance roofs. My problem is that everyone wants an estimate and are not willing to provide/show their insurance summary. I use Xactimate to create my estimates. I give estimates as requested and don't waive deductibles. My company has been running for 10+ years and do quality work. I use the best materials and have no complaints from my clients. I have landed a few jobs but not nearly as many as other companies who are working on several homes in several neighborhoods and are not necessarily local. What sales tactics is anyone willing to share with me for insurance jobs and clients who want estimates and want to go with the lowest bid? I run an honest business and do quality work but work seems to be going slow for me. Any help is appreciated. I know some homeowners are only looking to pocket money and therefore want the lowest bid. Also, is it really legal/illegal for a homeowner to benefit from their insurance claim?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #2

Trade: General Contracting

Re: Why Am I Hardly Selling Roofs?

I'm a general contractor that specializes in roofing in south Texas. With Harvey having just hit, I am currently trying to sell insurance roofs. My problem is that everyone wants an estimate and are not willing to provide/show their insurance summary. I use Xactimate to create my estimates. I give estimates as requested and don't waive deductibles. My company has been running for 10+ years and do quality work. I use the best materials and have no complaints from my clients. I have landed a few jobs but not nearly as many as other companies who are working on several homes in several neighborhoods and are not necessarily local. What sales tactics is anyone willing to share with me for insurance jobs and clients who want estimates and want to go with the lowest bid? I run an honest business and do quality work but work seems to be going slow for me. Any help is appreciated. I know some homeowners are only looking to pocket money and therefore want the lowest bid. Also, is it really legal/illegal for a homeowner to benefit from their insurance claim?

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 82

I can only really answer the last question. It's not illegal for the homeowner to keep the insurance money unless it's specified in their policy that they must use the money for repairs(which I have yet to encounter). If your house burns down, you get a check, you don't HAVE to build a new house. Some policies do limit the total payout to a certain percentage unless you can show that you are actually performing the work.

There are some other factors that come into play here as they may have certain conditions with their mortgage company that requires a specific action.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (09-20-2017), southtexasroof (09-23-2017)

Old 09-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 9,115

Most people don't want to pay squat out of pocket (not even the deductible) if they have an insurance claim.

It's pretty common for larger companies to have people come in from out of state to do the estimating, and basically do a 2 call close - once for the measurements, the second to finalize the estimate and materials. They'll cover an entire neighborhood fairly quickly.

Estimates are bare bones, and upgrades are obviously extra.

Last edited by hdavis; 09-20-2017 at 09:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
southtexasroof (09-23-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #5
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 98

Its tough going up against storm chasers, on the plus side in 2 years or so you will have plenty of work when most start failing. Why aren't you getting them, some has to do with tactics - what people sign up front, the sales pitch (which generally includes we will cover your deductible if you leave our sign out front for X days), they are allowed to negotiate (PA), etc...

Most houses probably have not had an estimator out yet or if so it could be incomplete, so they are looking for specific line items so it can help to get XactiMate or if you don't want to worry about mold, household items damaged - XactRemodel. The next is learn there tricks, issues & become the expert on what to watch out for, champion for the people - get on TV. Hey that one piece can be illegal, codes require, you have 3 days, etc...

http://thehtrc.com/2012/tools-trade-estimates-xactware
southtexasroof (09-23-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,338

Next time you're asked to bid a vacant home, get a bid from your competitor while you're there and see what they do.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metro M & L For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (09-21-2017), ATLCE (10-18-2017), southtexasroof (09-23-2017)
Old 03-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #7

Trade: Roofing

It seems to go by the neighborhood. Most people are sheep and do as anyone else does with little to no reason other than they are following the herd. If the neighbor said ask for a bid they ask for a bid.

Now slice it anyway you want, it absolutely is illegal for a homeowner to profit from an insurance claim when depreciation is involved. If you are legally invoicing then you get paid what is allowed and do not funnel any money to the policy holder. There is a deductible for a reason.

If the policy holder receives full proceeds then it is at their discretion as to how to spend that money or how much of it.

I do not swallow deductibles and I sell the **** out of roofs. Your reputation and putting out a better product is the only way to set yourself apart. If there are many other contractors in the area swallowing deductibles it makes it difficult. Knocking doors is what will make or break you, how much hustle you put in your step.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #8
PCI

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 848

That's right LJM, it is TOTALLY ILLEGAL for an insured to benefit from a claim, period!

INSURANCE FRAUD dumb ass.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:57 PM   #9

Trade: Ins Repair
Rewards Points: 18

Nathan and LJM are both correct—sorta. A homeowner can keep the acv monies and do with it what they want (provided there is no mortgage company who has collateral rights) but then that homeowner would not be able to recapture the Replacement Value (depreciation) unless the repairs are done. Note: Price actually does not matter provided it’s within a usual and customary amount, which is very hard to determine in a catastrophe situation ie supply and demand. Storm chasers are “experts” at telling the homeowner there will be NO OUT OF POCKET expense except perhaps the deductible. Perhaps you are not convincing the homeowner of this fact PLUS the quality of your work PLUS your local to honor your warranties PLUS.......HERES THE BIG ONE: You have a commercial general liability policy that is an occurrence policy and if you don’t know why that is the MOST important sales tool in your belt then shoot me a P.M.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
I can only really answer the last question. It's not illegal for the homeowner to keep the insurance money unless it's specified in their policy that they must use the money for repairs(which I have yet to encounter).

Its in every policy. Lol. Acv rcv. Thats why theres 2 checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCI View Post
That's right LJM, it is TOTALLY ILLEGAL for an insured to benefit from a claim, period!

INSURANCE FRAUD dumb ass.
Its not illegal to benefit from a claim but its illegal for them to profit from it. And that was a little abrasive... nobody calls us dumbasses but us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insrepair View Post
Nathan and LJM are both correct?sorta. A homeowner can keep the acv monies and do with it what they want (provided there is no mortgage company who has collateral rights) but then that homeowner would not be able to recapture the Replacement Value (depreciation) unless the repairs are done. Note: Price actually does not matter provided it?s within a usual and customary amount, which is very hard to determine in a catastrophe situation ie supply and demand. Storm chasers are ?experts? at telling the homeowner there will be NO OUT OF POCKET expense except perhaps the deductible. Perhaps you are not convincing the homeowner of this fact PLUS the quality of your work PLUS your local to honor your warranties PLUS.......HERES THE BIG ONE: You have a commercial general liability policy that is an occurrence policy and if you don?t know why that is the MOST important sales tool in your belt then shoot me a P.M.

The answer to you question is because you are in houston! Thats why. And another answer is because people are getting ripped off by their insurance company and they dont know they can do anything about it. They want bids because they didnt get enough money to do the repairs. Come to dallas and ill learn you a little something. Seriously. Ill double your sales and triple your profits in a day. It will be worth your while. We are gonna get hail any day now so its perfect timing.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (03-08-2018)