Why? - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Why?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Remodeler
Rewards Points: 526

Why?

Did some work on a house last fall... rotted sheeting due to improper ventilation. 3/12 pitch the rot was in the area where the ceiling was lofted to the rafter bottoms. Client never had a leak before, but the roof was failing bad. Soft enough to walk through. Sooo we removed the roofing/sheeting in the lofted area, insulated, leaving 2" above the bats, added soffit venting, cut in continuous ridge vent, wove in matching 3-tab, installed ridge vent, fixed a few flashing problems, and called it a job. Everything was good all winter through wind and rain storms. Last week we had the worst snow storm in ten years. At the first thaw, client heard a crack and about an hour later a dribble coming through the t+g ceiling. I went up and tarped the roof. Today, we went up to solve the problem, and I'm not sure what it is. Best guess is 9" of snow on a 3/12 and ridge vent, but I dunno. Pretty clear I'm not a roofer I guess. Any thoughts?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Why?

bump

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
Expert Roofer

Trade: ROOFING/HOME IMPROVEMENTS-WINDOWS/SIDING/GUTTERING/COPPER WORK,ETC
Rewards Points: 250

you may have a problem at the juncture with the regular pitch,but all in all too vague to comment on ,need pics,and to be specific as to leak area etc.

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com

Old 02-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Expert Roofer

in probability the insulation was not enough ato stop ice forming,and the weight and ice and water backup caused the problem is the direction I would probably go

Old 02-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
Pro

Not much to see really, we pulled up some roof today and found wet sheeting about 12' down from the ridge. It's a simple gable roof @ 10 sq. All I can figger is that the 9" snow and the 3/12 w/ ridge vent didn't get along. I was hoping someone could confirm. Can a 3/12 gable roof have a ridge vent and 9" snow at the same time? It doesn't snow here much, so we mostly just worry about keeping the rain out. Guess I'm thinking I screwed up somehow, but can't figure how.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Expert Roofer

it`s cathedral,the cathedral should have 2x12 beams to allow enough insulation so that ice doesn`t form,and once the ice forms it becomes a dam so melting water from higher up is forced under the shingles,should add iso or a homasote where you can have a roof that won`t be affected by freeze /thaw cycles

Old 02-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
Pro

What's hard about this is that while their roof was rotting, they never had leaks. We didn't do a complete tear off and reroof(should have, but they didn't have the $), just worked with what was there. However, this leak happened after we did our work, and after the first big freeze in ten years. I can't figure out if it was our work, or the crazy weather that caused the problem.

Maybe I'll call a local roofer out to take a look... just trying to get some perspective I guess..
Old 02-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
Expert Roofer

you paid attention to the air space requirement,when before it was probably stuffed tight and absorbed more into the decking,nothing beats a site visit,where are you located

Old 02-05-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Pro

Eugene, OR. Don't expect I'll be seeing you anytime soon!
Old 02-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000

I don't see any mention of ice and water shield in your posts. Theres your problem. Especially on a 3/12 pitch, i wouldn't put a ridge vent on that shallow a slope either even though thats the minimum slope recommended.

Last edited by A W Smith; 02-05-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #11
Pro

Nobody uses I+W shield in this area, I'd have to special order it! I know the pitch is shallow, but how else to vent it? If I need a different kind of vent, I'd like to know about it. Any Ideas?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed

Anywhere it snow's you need ice and water shield. If no one used it around there i bet yours wasn't the only phone ringing after that snow storm. You may have discovered a new niche market. here read up on it.

Here are distributors in Oregon . note that there are two distributors right there in Eugene
Quote:
A list of the distributors in your selected city is below.

A.B.C. Supply Company
4227 West 6th Ave.
Eugene, OR

Allied Building Products
3285 B West 1st Avenue
Eugene, OR
here is a web cast

Mushroom or hat vents

Last edited by A W Smith; 02-05-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Broken link
Old 02-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #13
Pro

Thanks for the info... I don't think mushroom vents would work here... unless I'm missing something? There's no attic in the area in question. Guess I'd need a vent every 16"?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
Al Smith

does your existing ridge vent have a baffle to prevent wind driven snow or rain from blowing into it? also when you removed the rotting sheathing did you happen to notice if the rot was more on the roof side or the inside?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #15
Pro

There is a wind/rain baffle. The rot came from underneath and there was NO venting when we started. We introduced the vent as a solution, but maybe it wasn't the right one? The problem may be at the seam in the ridge vent. We'll know more later today when we open it up further. Wondering if the problem came from the vent when the snow started melting... we started at the wet area yesterday and followed it up the roof 'til it got dark... covered the roof and figured we'd finish today. Not really sure what to do today 'cept look deeper and scratch our heads some more. The thing we changed from existing is adding the venting. Guess that's probably the problem. Wondering if there's a better vent system?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #16
Al Smith

I read that wet sheathing as 12 inches down from the ridge not 12 feet. if it starts that far down its not the ridge vent. Its ice damming.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #17
Pro

Still haven't found the top of the wet... Got dark last night first. Today we'll see if we can find the top. If it doesn't go as far as the ridge, we'll leave the ridge alone for now and focus on the roof. Client's not ready for a reroof, so I think I+W shield is out. The best thought for now is we did something wrong, I just can't figure out what it is.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #18
Pro

P.S. Thanks for the time and help Al...
Old 02-05-2008, 11:31 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: General, Electrical, and Plumbing Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

There are suppliers that sell I&W shield, check ABC supply in Eugene, 4227 W 6th Ave. You are not normally going to find it at Home Depot, Lowes or even most lumber yards, you need to go to a real roofing supply company. Also some suppliers will not carry the Grace brand, but will have something equivalent.

Also check:
Allied Building Products, 3285 W 1st Ave, they have Grace and other brands.

Roofline Supply, 3297 West 1st Ave, they carry IKO ArmourGard I&W protector.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,054

You did not mention which brand of Ridge Vent you used, but did state that it had seams.

Is this the metal 8 foot sectional version of ridge vents?

Did you caulk under the external baffle where it lies on top of the shingles? On that shallow of a slope, the back up of melting snow and now water could puddle up near the heat from the exhaust of the ridge vent and give the leak scenario described.

Ed

Advertisement