What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
Pro
 
J-Peffer's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing & Siding Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 403
Rewards Points: 250

What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


I've been installing CertainTeed shingles for about 4 years.

I like them, never had any problems with them to this day.

I've installed GAF/Tam/Owens and IKO's but CertainTeed goes down on 95% of the roofs we do.

If I had to do my own roof, I'd used a Owens Oak Ridge.

I'm installing them every now and then, they cost me about 10 bucks more a square. But the tar strip on the back is way thinker, and wider. Just holding the shingle after installing 100's of squares of Landmarks between Owens Cornering jobs, you can feel the difference. Even the granduales seem to stay on better.

I'll still be installing 90% CertainTeeds because most of my customers would rather save 300 bucks than have the roof last longer. Most of them plan on selling the house or dying before the roof ever wears out again.

But I'll be putting black oak ridges on my investment house this year over certainTeeds. CertainTeed also makes you upgrade to a life time shingle, to get the more "bold" def shingles. Oak Ridge's and even GAFs are all like that. The "Morie Black" Landmarks honestly look cheap and flat on a roof.
J-Peffer is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   
 

Old 08-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #2
Project Manager
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, Finish Carpentry
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 2,344
Rewards Points: 876

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


landmarks all the way.

A&E Exteriors is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Pro
 
kubie's Avatar
 
Trade: general contractor
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 434
Rewards Points: 278

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


O.C oakridge for me
kubie is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #4
Pro
 
J-Peffer's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing & Siding Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 403
Rewards Points: 250

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoscar View Post
landmarks all the way.
3 or 4 years ago, I would have said the same thing.

Install a 30 year Landmark, Moire Black on a house though.

Then go next door and install a 30 year Owens Oak Ridge.

Not only will you notice a tuffer shingle when you are installing, with a nicer thicker tar line, but when you are done you will like the look of the Oak Ridge more too.

The Roof will stand out more, the double laminates will be more defined and honestly, the black shingle is BLACKER than the Moire Black 30 year landmarks that appear to come "pre faded".

CertainTeeds Landmarks are probably the most installed shingle. But I feel it's because of superior marketing and contractor/distributor incentives more than the quality of the product.
J-Peffer is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
Pro
 
MJW's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,934
Rewards Points: 1,678

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


I'd give the Owens some time. They are new this year, right?

I would stick with a Certainteed myself, and would consider the Malarkey's.
MJW is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Pro
 
J-Peffer's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing & Siding Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 403
Rewards Points: 250

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
I'd give the Owens some time. They are new this year, right?

I would stick with a Certainteed myself, and would consider the Malarkey's.
The Owens Oak Ridge have been the same for awhile.

Honestly, the GAF Timb's look better than the CertainTeeds too.

If I have a chance today, I'll photo the tar strips on the back of the Owens in comparision to the Landmarks.

CertainTeed 30 year shingles are not "high def" which is kind of B.S. if you ask me. The shadow accent is not as sharp, so the shingles don't look as bold unless you use a 50 year (lifetime) shingle.

Seriously look at the last 30 year black Landmark you put down, then go look at a black 30 year GAF or Oak Ridge. The Landmark 30's look like they are 10 years old compared to them.
J-Peffer is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
Work too cheap
 
quality1stconst's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Jamestown, IN
Posts: 40
Rewards Points: 25

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


I use almost exclusively Owens Corning Duration or Duration premiums and they are great. I like the GAF/Elk's also.
__________________
Will Not Settle for Mediocrity
quality1stconst is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
I like Green things
 
WarnerConstInc.'s Avatar
 
Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In a van, down by the river. Auburn, IN
Posts: 17,284
Rewards Points: 5,380

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


Durations.
WarnerConstInc. is online now  
Old 08-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Project Manager
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, Finish Carpentry
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 2,344
Rewards Points: 876

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


consumer reports says landmarks are the best, I have installed plenty of shingles other than certainteed, I like GAF at #2, and owens corning #3.
IKO's are trash IMO, after doing repairs on them and seeing them look 25 years old after only 14 years and 1- 275 sq. job with them, no more.

And I almost always try to talk a customer out of black shingles, I don't really care for black of any make, way too blah. Know what I mean.

Last edited by A&E Exteriors; 08-18-2009 at 04:32 PM.
A&E Exteriors is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
Pro
 
buildpinnacle's Avatar
 
Trade: Public Insurance Adjuster
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 595
Rewards Points: 500

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


O/C and GAF. Not much of a market for Certainteed in East Texas and just never formed a habit for Tamko. I think a lot of a roofing companies preference stems from what is regionally shoved down their throats with a manufacturer's presence. I hear a lot of talk about Certainteed on this site which amazes me as they have been viewed as somewhat substandard in my area since I can remember. I know that's not true, but that is the perception since they are not marketed like they are in the North and Northeast. GAF, O/C, and Tamko have the largest presence here and those three are what most are using. I will be using the Tamko Heritage 50 on a couple redecks in a few weeks that are a very nice looking shingle. HO picked them out and had their mind made up before I got there.
__________________
Pinnacle Limited - Public Insurance Adjusters
http://pinnaclelimited.com
http://harrycane.com - An Amusement Park for Weather Freaks
buildpinnacle is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #11
Pro
 
J-Peffer's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing & Siding Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 403
Rewards Points: 250

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoscar View Post
consumer reports says landmarks are the best, I have installed plenty of shingles other than certainteed, I like GAF at #2, and owens corning #3.
IKO's are trash IMO, after doing repairs on them and seeing them look 25 years old after only 14 years and 1- 275 sq. job with them, no more.

And I almost always try to talk a customer out of black shingles, I don't really care for black of any make, way too blah. Know what I mean.
Consumers reports probably do put them at the top, landmarks at 70 a square are a good price.

But as far as quality.....I still say it's almost obvious as a slap in the face that O/C and GAF are better.

You could lay them next to each other and see easy.

CertainTeed is so popular because of it's marketing and contractor/distributor incentives not because of a suburb product.

Ever do CertainTeed warantee work? they give you 50 a square off/on.
J-Peffer is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
Pro
 
MJW's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,934
Rewards Points: 1,678

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


Peffer, where do yours shingles come from?

It is complete opposite here. I have a Landmark and a Timberline side by side quite often, and it's very easy to see the Landmark is better quality. I've even taken the laminates apart to compare.

The Landmark is heavier per square, thicker shingle, better AR because the have more copper, the laminate is held by 3 tar strips instead of 2, and the accent is usually more on the Landmark also.
No fiberglass slivers when you are done, and no cracking.

You are right on the black. It looks grey and I don't care for it personally. Looks good on a yellow house though. You'd be surprised.
MJW is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
Pro
 
MJW's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,934
Rewards Points: 1,678

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


Warranty work, yes......they pay a decent price if you get a good rep.

As far as popularity...up here it is Timberline because people can't learn a new word. They think Timberline is a name for "multi-layer shingle"
Lately all the stormers are using Owens or Iko because of incentives and price.
MJW is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #14
New Guy
 
Lou the roofer's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: conshohocken, PA
Posts: 27
Rewards Points: 25

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


Certainteed Landmarks would go in my house.
Lou the roofer is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
Pro
 
J-Peffer's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing & Siding Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 403
Rewards Points: 250

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Peffer, where do yours shingles come from?

It is complete opposite here. I have a Landmark and a Timberline side by side quite often, and it's very easy to see the Landmark is better quality. I've even taken the laminates apart to compare.

The Landmark is heavier per square, thicker shingle, better AR because the have more copper, the laminate is held by 3 tar strips instead of 2, and the accent is usually more on the Landmark also.
No fiberglass slivers when you are done, and no cracking.

You are right on the black. It looks grey and I don't care for it personally. Looks good on a yellow house though. You'd be surprised.

I'm in western Michigan, my Landmarks come out of the Avery Ohio plant.

Not sure where the O/C and GAFs come from.

The first time I ever noticed was I ordered some black landmarks and my distributor was newer to the area then and ran out of the black. They took a small loss and sent out some GAF's.

To this day, I go past that roof, and it's much more impressive on just a little ranch style home than any black landmark I've installed.

I'd love it if Landmarks impressed me as much, as they are still 90% of what I'll be installing and recommending my customers, simply because of the incentives and prices I get from buying in volume.

Lowes losses money when I buy OC from them just to gain my business, and I still pay about a buck more per sq than what I get landmarks for.
J-Peffer is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #16
Pro
 
J-Peffer's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing & Siding Contractor
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 403
Rewards Points: 250

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Warranty work, yes......they pay a decent price if you get a good rep.

As far as popularity...up here it is Timberline because people can't learn a new word. They think Timberline is a name for "multi-layer shingle"
Lately all the stormers are using Owens or Iko because of incentives and price.
sounds like you have some of the same rejects around your area, lol.

Seems most people just put what ever they see everyone else installing on.

I can't recall the last time I saw anyone other than us actually using grace on a roof, or know what metric starter is.

Lots of guys are still cutting up 3 tabs that "almost" match the landmark colors.
J-Peffer is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 12:28 AM   #17
Project Manager
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, Finish Carpentry
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 2,344
Rewards Points: 876

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Peffer View Post
Consumers reports probably do put them at the top, landmarks at 70 a square are a good price.

But as far as quality.....I still say it's almost obvious as a slap in the face that O/C and GAF are better.

You could lay them next to each other and see easy.

CertainTeed is so popular because of it's marketing and contractor/distributor incentives not because of a suburb product.

Ever do CertainTeed warantee work? they give you 50 a square off/on.
I'll give you GAF as EQUAL TO Certainteed but on no day of the week are O.C. better than they are. Though they are a good shingle and would use them "on my house"if I got the right deal, or simply did not have the extra funds for the aforementioned brands.

When looking at a product to be "best" I think of all around.
Quality, reliability, warranty, WORKABILITY. O.C.'s extreem tar line get too sticky too fast, and have way more loose granules than Certainteed or GAF. I also notice on O.C.'s, the base and applique laminated layers are often off as much as 1/4-3/8". One of the reasons Certainteed is so large in the north is because when they were "4 a squares", they were paper bundled and predominatley stored indoors. Consumer reports' is about who's overall ASTM ratings are highest not price.

now ask me, What kind of lifetime shingle I choose?
Presidental TL's. (not that I'd ever put them on my current house!)

Last edited by A&E Exteriors; 08-19-2009 at 12:31 AM. Reason: punctuation, still probably wrong.
A&E Exteriors is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #18
Project Manager
 
A&E Exteriors's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing, Framing, Finish Carpentry
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 2,344
Rewards Points: 876

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
it's very easy to see the Landmark is better quality. I've even taken the laminates apart to compare.

The Landmark is heavier per square, thicker shingle, better AR because the have more copper, the laminate is held by 3 tar strips instead of 2, and the accent is usually more on the Landmark also.
No fiberglass slivers when you are done, and no cracking.

You are right on the black. It looks grey and I don't care for it personally. Looks good on a yellow house though. You'd be surprised.
The last roof I did was O.C and I had to reseal several laminate tabs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Peffer View Post
Honestly, the GAF Timb's look better than the CertainTeeds too.


CertainTeed 30 year shingles are not "high def" which is kind of B.S. if you ask me. The shadow accent is not as sharp, so the shingles don't look as bold unless you use a 50 year (lifetime) shingle.

Seriously look at the last 30 year black Landmark you put down, then go look at a black 30 year GAF or Oak Ridge. The Landmark 30's look like they are 10 years old compared to them.
Looks aren't everything, how about you compare the last Brownwood you did to your last burnt sienna roof, or O.C. Driftwood to weathered wood.

Last edited by A&E Exteriors; 08-19-2009 at 02:24 AM.
A&E Exteriors is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 01:35 AM   #19
I like Green things
 
WarnerConstInc.'s Avatar
 
Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In a van, down by the river. Auburn, IN
Posts: 17,284
Rewards Points: 5,380

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


I perfer whatever my lumber yard stands behind the most.
WarnerConstInc. is online now  
Old 08-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #20
Pro
 
MrRoofer's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 185
Rewards Points: 150

Re: What 30 Year Shingle Would You Put On Your Roof?


Highlander 30 by Malarkey

__________________
'I'm living on the edge!'
MrRoofer is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tying into existing roof Milhaus Framing 9 11-06-2008 12:03 PM
30 year shingle prices kylemfk Roofing 32 04-13-2008 09:59 PM
Mushroom wood shingle roof woofer Roofing 7 03-28-2008 11:29 PM
roof valley Fix-it Carpentry 3 11-12-2007 07:41 PM
Metal Roof tied to a Shingle Roof? JackOfAllTrades Roofing 2 11-15-2005 12:00 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?