Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

water condensation/ice and watershield

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  AtlanticWBConst 
#1 ·
I recently had a new roof put on. During the work, I had requested the roof be entirely covered with ice and water shield, because I had issues with water leaking into my faca board and potentional down in behind my clapboards. I recently had some flooding in my basement, which is in the process of drying out. Is it possible for water to evaporate and end up in the attic, where it has now crystalized on the nail tips and plywood roofing. My question is, have a created more of a problem by covering the entire roof with ice and water shield, preventing the moisture to leave and therefore resulting in the water thawing and returning down into the walls. My roofer thinks its not the water in the basement, but a broken fan pipe for the upstairs bathroom. Any answers? Oh, yes I have a power vent on the roof which operates primarily in the summer when it exceedes 70 degrees. My roofer took out the ridge vent, he didn't see much sense to it since the power vent and ridge vent were three to four feet apart. Should he put it back and will it actually help with my ventaliation and moisture issue? I have a hip style roof and my ridge vent was I believe 6-8 feet long. I was told that it was too small for my roof. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want him to put the ridge vent back on and then create more problems.

Randy
New Hampshire

See less See more
#2 ·
First problem was you, not hiring a professional. Second was that you had them ice shield the whole roof. Third problem is taking away the ventilation.

Fix all those problems and at least your roof will be OK.

Why do you have water in the basement?

#3 ·
Since no one has kicked you out yet, The condensation on the nail heads has nothing to do with your basement flooding. Its simply what happens when there are cold nails exposed in a warm attic.

As far as venting, it all depends on the amount of attic area you have, if you have soffit vents or not, where your power vent is located, and if you have hip vents and if hip vents could even be used on your roof.

#4 ·
Hello,

altonarch wrote " but a broken fan pipe for the upstairs bathroom"

If you do have a broken bath vent pipe then you are blowing hot,moist air into the attic area every time you use it. Search this site or the DIY sister site for more on ventilation issues. I would search for Ed's posts because imo he is very knowledgable in this area.

Keith

#6 ·
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractor's to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.