Walk-on Gaage Roof

Old 05-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor...Electrical Inspector
Rewards Points: 25

Walk-on Gaage Roof

I'm a GC in NY. One of my clients has expressed interest in having a roof-top patio on top of the garage.
The garage is 12 x 20 and attached to the house along the 20' side.
The garage roof needs to be rebuilt, and along with that project, they would like to have a door on the 2nd floor lead out onto the garage roof Patio.

The architect will deal with the loads of a 1/12 pitch. My question is regarding what material should be used to make the roof durable and stand up to foot traffic.
Also, if I place the guard rail posts withing the perimter instead of attached to the sides of the garage, how will the roof be sealed around those posts.
I have seen this done but have never done one on my project, so it's time to get educated.

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
Roofer

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Walk-on Gaage Roof

If i was your roofer i would suggest EPDM totaly adhered and possibly painted afterwards but that step is not and absolute need.
Your local material supplier will show you the flashings needed for the wall where the roof meets the house and the foot of the railing post.
Many residential roofers will apply this material with out insulation under the epdm but you don't want to let them do that especially if its going to be walked on, the insulation board will help absorb movement "probably an 1/2" of fiber board/insulation would be good.

If you ask a salesmen at your local roofing material supplier they can and will contact a manufacture rep and have them fax you a Specs Sheet.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

there are many ways to approach this project, first off unless its a low end job, dont mount the posts to the side of the building. also, a customer says we want to make the roof a deck. they think. throw up some rails, strong roof, done,,, wrong, these conversions are costly (if done correctly). the last one i did, fibreglassed the roof, then tiled it,
Old 05-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
New Guy

Thanks for the replies. I have not approached my roofing subs yet as getting educated BEFORE is a lot cheaper then getting that same education AFTER!

EPDM. Can you point me to a web site that would show me this product?

Definitely not interested in Low End. Rails MUST be integral into the floor, not on the sidewalls.

Tiling sounds good, too. Without making you write a book for me, can you just give a bit of detail as to the process of fiberglass & tile?

Sounds very interesting.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Roofer

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

ABC Supply has a good links page at: http://www.abcsupply.com/Product/Pro...il.aspx?id=318

And your welcome.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
New Guy

Excellent link...I have sent an email to Dec-Tec for a sample of their walkable deck product. Looks pretty good but hard to see the actual finish 'look' on their web site. They need better pics!
What I particularly like is that they have a system of flashing already well thought out.

I think that for my [typical] clients, a roof top structure built heavy enough to remain stable for tile is probably out of their financial reach, so I'll reserve that method for a future exploration, though I would like to hear about how it is accomplished such that the tile joints do not crack after several freeze-thaw cycles.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Pro

http://www.contractortalk.com/showth...415#post419415

try this thread, it explains the process, for tile over fibreglass.

Last edited by genecarp; 05-02-2008 at 06:57 PM. Reason: no post
Old 05-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #8
Pro

post #9 of above thread explains process, here is the tile begining http://
Old 05-05-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
New Guy

I took a look at the link and am impressed.
I noticed that you uses a 2nd layer of 3/4" Ply. I do this in better home remodels (including my own home) and it makes an extremely solid sub-floor.

I never thought of it for ecterior decking but I also didn't understand the use of fiberglass.

Oh, so many questions.....

Are you using a latex thinset to ride out movement since the floor is exposed to extreme temp changes?
And what type of grout are you using for the same issue?