Trailer Roof

Old 03-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: vinyl decking railing fenceing siding windows
Rewards Points: 500

Trailer Roof

hey guys,
need to build a gabled roof over a mobile home. iwas told instead of setting post along side the trailer and headering it for trusses i could just put a lam beam 75' long set on end walls and run rafters to sides of trailer and this would hold the weight of roof.
if this is true it would be less money for material and look alot nicer! anyone try this or have done this before and what kind of beam was used for ridge?
thanks in advance for input.
oh yeah i almost forgot, how much willl it cost? L o L!!
JUST HAD TO THROW THAT IN CAN'T HELP IT!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,341

Re: Trailer Roof

You need to made sure there's enough axles under it to support the 'store bought roof'. The foundation is always over looked

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
Old 03-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,000

What is the construction of the trailer? What are the dimensions?

I am just finishing one that I put a roof over, it had 2x3 studs with a single top plate, a 2x6 on edge over that with 2x6 rafters as the ceiling/roof rafters. I put down a 2x6 flat on the roof (2 on one side to take out the minimal slope) and then stick framed a gable roof on top with a ridge board, not beam. I supported the ridge board with uprights to take out any tendency to spread. This building is only 10'x30' however so it's really quite trivial.

A lot easier than a 75' (!) lam.
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)
Old 03-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: residential contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveivl View Post
What is the construction of the trailer? What are the dimensions?

I am just finishing one that I put a roof over, it had 2x3 studs with a single top plate, a 2x6 on edge over that with 2x6 rafters as the ceiling/roof rafters. I put down a 2x6 flat on the roof (2 on one side to take out the minimal slope) and then stick framed a gable roof on top with a ridge board, not beam. I supported the ridge board with uprights to take out any tendency to spread. This building is only 10'x30' however so it's really quite trivial.

A lot easier than a 75' (!) lam.
yep thats the way it's done here to geez 150' of lamb beam would weigh a lot maybe 20% of the roof weight total?
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile but is morally treasonable to the American public....... Teddy Roosevelt
Old 03-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #5

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 10

Oly Bond some tapered insulation over the existing roof. Raise the vents to proper height & install fully adhered EPDM membrane.......less expensive.....more profit.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Pro

question!
you say run the ridge but my question is where to put the upright suports?
i mean do i need to determine where the interior walls are for this cause at 75' i"ll need at least 5 of them i'm figuring.
again any advice will be appreciated
Old 03-15-2008, 02:35 AM   #7
Pro

Worthwhile advice comes after information. Again: what are the dimensions of the building?

You might also want to add (because it will help you) what the existing structure of the roof is; what pitch the new roof will be; what material it is being roofed with, and any other information that might be helpful for people who are trying to help, sheesh, it's like pulling teeth!

(You accidentally let slip that it was a mobile home, it is generally not ok to treat interior partition walls of such structures as having a load bearing capacity.)
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)
Old 03-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
Pro

reveive,
alright dude. info is coming we are so busy right now that i haven't gotten out to measure the job or look at the measurement from the salesmans paperwork. i'll do that tomorrow
Old 03-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
Pro

Old 03-15-2008, 07:45 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: General, Electrical, and Plumbing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveivl View Post
(You accidentally let slip that it was a mobile home, it is generally not ok to treat interior partition walls of such structures as having a load bearing capacity.)
In the Northwest you cannot treat any part of the mobile home as structural, unless it has a engineers approval and stamp.

The exterior walls on mobile homes are cantilevered. The actual support to the ground is a foot or so inside the perimeter if it just has skirting and not a real foundation. And not one of those fake foundations that are just for looks where the mobile home is still supported the same old way and the block foundation on the outside doesn't even touch the home.

In Washington you cannot even put on a second layer of asphalt shingles over the top of the old ones, the old ones must be taken off. They don't think the roof can handle the extra weight of the second layer.

Washington Rules here:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.a...=296-150M-0410

So you better check the rules/laws in your juridiction.