Tile Roof

Old 12-24-2015, 12:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Tile Roof

Need help, does anyone know how to check for leaks in tile roofs

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2016, 03:23 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 880

Re: Tile Roof

Yeah you wait til it rains amd then look up

Advertisement

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
1985gt (01-05-2016), gbruzze1 (01-03-2016), Inner10 (01-03-2016), ScipioAfricanus (01-06-2016), SouthonBeach (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #3

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrina View Post
Yeah you wait til it rains and then look up

Old 01-06-2016, 08:33 AM   #4

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 4

Can you be more specific? Are you noticing yellowing on your ceiling? Are there puddles on your floor? These questions will give you an idea of the size of the problem you want to look for. The best thing to do is trace the issue to a location on your roof, if you start from where you noticed the leak and trace it into the attic then trace it to your decking you COULD have a direct indication of where the problem is, Once you have an idea of the area your issue COULD be at, go onto the roof and check for any inconsistencies such as broken tiles or improperly lapped flashing, lead, etc. Once you have a starting point that is where the fun begins. Remove the tiles to access the underlayment, check again for anything that seems out of place, tears in the underlayment, holes, rust marks on a baton by a screw hole, etc. If you find it great if not keep going. There are many different variables that go into finding and fixing a leak so giving a broad quick fix statement is a bit difficult.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #5

I wish I could post pictures on here. It was an addition on the house that was leaking. The addition had a flat roof. Where the two meet is where the water was getting in. I couldn't find where up top it was coming in so I put flashing down where the two meet and put the tiles back on. I patched some stuff at the top, and hopefully that week fix it.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #6

Before after
Attached Thumbnails
Tile roof-1452093290118.jpg   Tile roof-1452093309037.jpg   Tile roof-1452093327196.jpg  
Old 01-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #7
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 5,116

So, you did the work?
Old 01-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

Yes I did, and replaced the flat roof as well
Old 01-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
Pro

Rewards Points: 392

What is under that metal flashing? I see a lot of bumps and waves, all entry points for water. There should be a good quality ice and water shield bridging the two roofs and lapping a at least a foot.
The Following User Says Thank You to carp.addict For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

I do know that if you don't know you should not be playing with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
carp.addict (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #11

It's nailed with rubber gasket nails, glued and tarred along the seam.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #12
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 3,376

Quote:
Originally Posted by iori View Post
Yes I did, and replaced the flat roof as well
Do you have any pics of the new flat roof?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
carp.addict (01-06-2016), SmallTownGuy (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iori View Post
It's nailed with rubber gasket nails, glued and tarred along the seam.
Tar isn't a solution. It will crack over a season or two and start letting water in. Do it right the first time.

Whatever roof membrane or tar paper that's under the clay tile should overlap that metal flashing, if it doesn't, then you have a problem.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

The flat roof material should run up the slope a foot or so, then the felt from the sloped roof should over lap 6-12".

Anything held down with rubber washered nails and tar is the seams sounds like a worthy investment.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1985gt For This Useful Post:
carp.addict (01-07-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 05:26 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Slate& Tile Roofing/Exterior Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,848

It's interesting that the "Before" picture shows red tile--- but the " After" picture shows green tile.
I work with this tile a lot--- it looks like Ludowici French tile--- red in the before picture---and what we call dull green in the after picture.
how did the OP manage THAT ?

this would be a pretty ordinary poroject for us.
what we would do is:
1) remove the lower 4 courses or so of tile. sort and stack the tile ,separating tile with damaged water lock from the perfect tile
2) tear off the flat roofing and the abortion around the waste stack. Replace damaged decking
3) typically on a house like this one we would end up installing a 3 ply modified bitumen system like Certainteed Flintlastic on the flat roof.
I would try to lay it out so that the cap sheet runs about 2 feet up the steep slope---but the base sheets run higher up than that.
4) we would cut the original felt in a straight line horizontally across the roof and then slide a piece of new underlayment up under the original felt and out on to the top of the cap sheet to maintain a drainage plane on the original underlayment. Pieces of self adhering base sheet work great for this--- but we also use titanium udl a lot in this instance.
5) prior to the job we would have ( in most cases) pre-fabbed a copper waste stack flashing for this roof. It's easier to do that back in the shop--- but we also do it on site fairly often as well. Our waste stacks cover the entire pipe and then crimp over at the top and return into the top of the cast iron pipe.
6) we would re-lay the tile. we have previously sorted out the pieces with damaged water lock---and THOSE pieces can often be used in the first course. It's not un-usual for 20% or more of the pieces to be un-useable in this situation. We supply matching vintage tile---same color, same manufacture, same patina.
the "unuseable tile" we typically save for OTHER projects where it CAN effectively be used--- for instance cut pieces on the right hand side of a valley--- will often cut out the damaged portion of the water lock

there was also an opportunity here to up sell additional work on the hip caps/stringer on this roof.
also---once the removing the bottom 4 courses of tile are taken into account--- on this roof it may have been easier and faster to simply remove and relay ALL the tile on that slope..........

this is a pretty simple,straightforward, one day job and can be a nice earner. in my opinion the Ludowici French profile is the most durable profile they made/make--- but the bottom few courses have been removed and relaid many times in that houses life---and quite a few of the water locks are apt to be damaged. You won't track down the damaged pieces without removing the tiles.

A project like this is quite typical, so we stock ludowici french in red,dull green, brookville green, also the LWI profile in red, brown, green colors and in several different textures, spanish s tile(13) in new red and old (reclaimed,patinated) , closed shingle in red, dull green, brookville green,English closed shingle in unglazed red, straight mission pans and covers, tapered mission pans and covers, some hawthorne concrete french tiles ,some buckholtz concrete french tiles---- and then misc. trim pieces such as risge cap, hip cap, closed hip starters, circle covers, left hand rake trim, right hand rake trim, eave closure, bird stop , closed valley pieces etc.--- in absolutely as many colors and finishes as we can scrounge up. Most of what we stock is reclaimed from the 1910's through the 1950's---and even so we frequently have to buy from throughout the us to match roofs.

Best wishes all ,
stephen

Stephen
Edit : I forgot to mention--- usually we will put a dadoed cant strip under the first course to hold the first course in the same plane as all the remaining courses---- without that cant strip there is usually a gap between the first course and the second course that leaves the install vulnerable to wind driven rain/snow---- and it looks bad besides. we like to make these out of cedar or white oak strips--- but in my area they were typically originally done in pine----and will have long since rotted out. In order to avoid puncturing the flat roofing material--- in installs like this we will often hang the cant strip from copper wire and then dab it down with a few spots of geocel until the tile itself weights it down.

Last edited by Stephen H; 01-08-2016 at 06:45 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen H For This Useful Post:
carp.addict (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #16

Thanks. The after picture was taken in a different mode on my camera on accident.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
It's interesting that the "Before" picture shows red tile--- but the " After" picture shows green tile.
I work with this tile a lot--- it looks like Ludowici French tile--- red in the before picture---and what we call dull green in the after picture.
how did the OP manage THAT ?

this would be a pretty ordinary poroject for us.
what we would do is:
1) remove the lower 4 courses or so of tile. sort and stack the tile ,separating tile with damaged water lock from the perfect tile
2) tear off the flat roofing and the abortion around the waste stack. Replace damaged decking
3) typically on a house like this one we would end up installing a 3 ply modified bitumen system like Certainteed Flintlastic on the flat roof.
I would try to lay it out so that the cap sheet runs about 2 feet up the steep slope---but the base sheets run higher up than that.
4) we would cut the original felt in a straight line horizontally across the roof and then slide a piece of new underlayment up under the original felt and out on to the top of the cap sheet to maintain a drainage plane on the original underlayment. Pieces of self adhering base sheet work great for this--- but we also use titanium udl a lot in this instance.
5) prior to the job we would have ( in most cases) pre-fabbed a copper waste stack flashing for this roof. It's easier to do that back in the shop--- but we also do it on site fairly often as well. Our waste stacks cover the entire pipe and then crimp over at the top and return into the top of the cast iron pipe.
I like the way you do your vent stack flashing. Can't get better then that.

Advertisement