Is There A Good Roof Shoe?

Old 11-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #1

Trade: Roofing
Question

Is There A Good Roof Shoe?

still fairly new to this business. i've been asking around for a while now and can't find a good roof shoe. i know it all depends on the person wearing it, but i was wondering if you have any suggestions i might not have heard of. i have yet to buy into the whole cougarpaws phenom. some have told me that all they do is provide a false sense of security. others have told me to check into merrell or columbia hiking shoes.

so i guess what i'm asking is, what do you prefer to wear when you're on a 7/12+ roof and why?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-08-2006, 08:47 PM   #2
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service

Re: Is There A Good Roof Shoe?

My father kept a pair of Converse All-Star high top canvas basketball shoes for roofing. ("Chuck Taylor's", to us younger guys). He never wore "gym shoes" in his life, except for roofing. Swore they were the best for roofing traction and not leaving footprints on hot shingles.

Last edited by mdshunk; 11-08-2006 at 08:54 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 11-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #3

of course, it's got to be something i already have, but would never have thought about.
thanks. i'll give it a whirl.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Interior Remodeling

Trade: Interior Remodeling

I always wore "skateboard" shoes ie: vans, dvs, etnies, something with a flat foot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric K For This Useful Post:
Lizzie (08-17-2011)
Old 11-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor

There is a brand of shoes made specificaly for roofers. I had a link on my old pc but of course lost it when it crashed. The site has a hot blonde with a lot of legs one the bottom edge of a 12/12 with the shoes on with one hand on a rope. Kind of silly if you ask me.

I like high top (not many made anymore) basket ball shoes. In the Summer you need very flat traction but here in MN can get by with boots in the Winter.

Wallmart shoes are junk. Used to have good luck with McGregors at K-Mart but haven't bought a pair in years. Target's basket ball shoes are ok and are made by Rebok.

Used to pay good money for Nike's and some pairs would last four months other would last two weeks, were talking a hundred dollar bill too.

I got really lucky a couple months ago. My wife was looking around at a thift store and I scored 7 pairs of old school high top basket balls shoes either Nike or Rebok for dirt. Thinking I paid around $5 per pair and all were in nice condition.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #6

i was expecting more name brands and commercial believers. thanks for the input, i'm glad to hear all the hype seems like just hype. looks like i'll be visiting the thrift store on lunch tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #7

Trade: Pressure Washing

http://www.cougarpaws.com/

I know a few guys who clean really steep roofs that use these and swear by them.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
Pro

Do you want them for durability or walk on steep pitches.?
There are no magic shoes, it pretty much depends if the person knows how to walk the roofs. From boots to gym shoes to barefeet. I ve seen guys use all kinds of shoes with success.

Cougar Paws stick well. The Weinbrenner roofing shoe is a good boot.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #9
Commercial Roofing

Red, what do you use when walking those steep metal roof you do?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows

I use cheap hiking boots winter and summer. It is hard to find a good pair. I buy some gel inserts for them and it makes a cheap shoe somewhat comfortable. Basketball shoes are probably the best, but the new ones are all white and ugly as can be. I try to stay under $30 for a pair because they don't last long on the roofs. I also like high tops the best.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #11
Pro

We dont walk on them.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #12
Commercial Roofing

We try not to also, but the system I do, with ridge details, etc, requires some walking on them.

What is your most installed panel?
Old 11-09-2006, 05:31 PM   #13
Pro

I have been liking the Firestone systems.
We are starting the job in Wilmington next week that you looked at in the summer. Its going to be Firestone. That job is pretty cut up, but will look good. Colonial red is the color.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:58 AM   #14
Commercial Roofing

How do you get around walking on them totally?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #15
Certified Crazy!

Trade: Insurance Restoration Roofing

I used to use deck shoes, the kind for walking on boats. Those were for when I was installing. Now I use cougarpaws for steep roof inspections. Otherwise I just wear my regular tennis shoes.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #16

Trade: Professional Diagramer

I use Pro Spirit (Samuel).
It is a white Tennis shoe from Target for $14.99.
They Usually last around 1 or 2 Months.
Works great up to 10/12 Shingles or Shakes.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #17
Sharp Improvements

Trade: Remodeling

When I did roofing I used my skate shoes. They are one of the toughest shoes made. They are designed to take a beating with a ll of the tricks always rubbing against the felt, which is not much different from shingles. The soles are real grippy and made to stick to the felt. You can get a good pair for around $60. I heard rock climbing shoes are supposed to be comfy and durable too.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #18
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor

I've tried the "flat" shoes with little to no success. I buy into the same principle as a snow tire - the less surface area in contact with the surface bearing the same weight will have better traction. The vibram sole on the Merrell seems to be the best combination - for me anyway.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Renovations

Last roofer I hired took his shoes off when the shingles got hot and walked around in sock feet. He swore by it, but I dunno. I generally use my work boots, and switch to running shoes when the temp goes up.

Like someone said, it has more to do with how you walk on asphalt shingles, avoid the edges, don't twist.

I put 8" strips of 3/8 ply on the roof resting on the toe-boards when it is hot, this means I don't have to watch ALL the guys ALL the time.
From where does knowledge come? If you need to know what is in a box, you could ask someone (not reliable), you could pray, (not useful), you can consult with the scripture (not helpful) or you could open the box (science)

Last edited by reveivl; 09-10-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #20

Trade: roofing
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetulantToiler View Post
still fairly new to this business. i've been asking around for a while now and can't find a good roof shoe. i know it all depends on the person wearing it, but i was wondering if you have any suggestions i might not have heard of. i have yet to buy into the whole cougarpaws phenom. some have told me that all they do is provide a false sense of security. others have told me to check into merrell or columbia hiking shoes.

so i guess what i'm asking is, what do you prefer to wear when you're on a 7/12+ roof and why?
Try cougarpaws.com they have the best roofing shoe i've found. However make sure you hold to the safty regulations given with your shoes.