Tamko Debate

Old 05-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

Tamko Debate

for the last few years we have been 100% tamko. Starting to see some manufacturing issues, saw toothing irregularities etc, as well as hearing bad things from others using them. I am worried about what else could be wrong that could come back to bite us years from now. Any one in the same boat? Ed, aren't you a tamko guy? Anyways we are thinking about making the switch to certainteed, anyone have any thoughts? Our wholesaler is now kinda switching over to certainteed also as their main line.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Tamko Debate

In the early 2000's, I used Tamko in Atlanta, exclusively. For lower end Ghetto rehabs. Tamko was cheap by any standard then. Apparently they improved. Now I guess they are going back to 'their old ways'. I hear Tamko and all I can see is Ghetto.

Advertisement

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 05-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Is there an asphalt shingle that is the absolute Cadillac above all others, if price was not an issue? I always thought that Tamko and Elk were supposed to be tops? Is there one that's really good, but hardly anyone uses it because it's so expensive?

Old 05-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
Is there an asphalt shingle that is the absolute Cadillac above all others, if price was not an issue? I always thought that Tamko and Elk were supposed to be tops? Is there one that's really good, but hardly anyone uses it because it's so expensive?
Tamko, Elk, and Certainteed, are the top shelf products, and we only want top shelf. Tamko has been a GREAT product, and the company is GREAT, and the salesrep is GREAT, they are just having some production issues that they cant seem to solve, and I dont want to be responsible for it if we find out in a few years there was more too it than just making installs a PIA, but shingles start to fail.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Pro

The ghetto shingles would be Owens corning, and IKO with GAF following close behind
Old 05-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Tampa

Trade: Roof Cleaning
Rewards Points: 75

We clean roofs here in Tampa, FL.
Several roof shingle manufactures, Tamko included, started selling "Algae Resistant" roofing shingles here in the Tampa FL market some time ago.
Well, they do NOT stay clean in Tampa's humid climate.
Tamko guaranteed them to stay clean, and they stand by them when they need roof cleaning.
That is more then I can say for some other manufacturers.

W/O naming names, several other manufactures cry the blues when Tampa residents try to get them to honor their warranty.

I know, because I am a Roof Cleaner in Tampa, FL
Old 05-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Tampa

Trade: Roof Cleaning
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
Celotex Presidential ?
Many high end homes we clean roofs on here in Tampa have Celotex Presidential Shingles.
I am talking about Million PLUS dollar homes, some right on Tampa Bay.
Of course, this is Florida, many high end buyers go tile, or lately Metal Roofs.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Seems to be the consensus! I guess Atlanta just had it backwards!!!!!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 05-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Cleaning View Post
Celotex Presidential ?
I think I've seen those. Are they the one's that are like 3/8" thick and have maybe 6 in a package?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
Pro

Does anyone know just how good the AR properties are in the TAMKO? It is a concern with a lot of customers. While NONE of our roofs have gotten stained, I have not been around long enough to know the real lifespan details first hand
Old 05-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #11
Roofer

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I myself do not sell any one manufacturers products.
They all have pro's and con's and they all have experienced both machinery and human errors during the manufacturing process at one time or another.
OC and Tamko are the best for responding to thier liabilities, atleast in my experiences but they all do, you just have to push some along to keep the process going.

I talk with the sells rep's at Banner Supply frequently, asking about bad/faulty batches of materials coming out, and i haven't heard anything major about Tamko, other than the fact thier accessories went up in price by a much larger % than the others.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.
Rewards Points: 1,000

Thats the shingles i see guys using around me. Iko,Gaf,OC. The price difference is 1 square of Tamko 30ar is 47.00 and 1 square of Landmarks is 52.50. This is current as of yesterday because i emailed a supply house and asked. The problem was he didn't have the Landmarks in mission brown so i'm thinking Tamko 30 Ar color natural timber because he said 63 square in stock. I'm fixing to pay a roofer to do my sisters house. So i'm telling him tamko and iced and water shield first three feet up. I was going to also go with titanium synthetic underlayment but unfortunately there not a supplier around me that stocks it. So its 30lb felt. I really wanted to go with the landmarks but i got screwed because he didn't have mission brown in stock. I also think the natural timber is a good color in tamko heritage. Oh also will be getting matching cap shingles.

Last edited by 747; 05-07-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
for the last few years we have been 100% tamko. Starting to see some manufacturing issues, saw toothing irregularities etc, as well as hearing bad things from others using them. I am worried about what else could be wrong that could come back to bite us years from now. Any one in the same boat? Ed, aren't you a tamko guy? Anyways we are thinking about making the switch to certainteed, anyone have any thoughts? Our wholesaler is now kinda switching over to certainteed also as their main line.
I still use Tamko as my primary line with an equal appreciation of Certainteed LandMarks, but the $ 2.00 to $ 3.00 per square difference probably does bias my opinion in favor of the Tamko Heritage line.

I absolutely Love their color spectrum available. I like their brochures with large photos instead of thumbnails, without having to have a full page one color per mansion display and I Love their chip samples of actual colors with a full house view of each shingle.

I have nothing but positive things to say regarding the only 2 instances, (color shading not uniform), I needed warranty follow through in the past, but that was before they, mandated that the home owner must put in the claim and state that they can not discuss the warranty issues with the contractor. (2 other instances, with the 3-Tab organic Reliance Shingle). That was frustrating, because my hands were tied in how much I could or could not assist the home owner.

My current beef with them, is that I sent in 3 seperate e-mails to their account rep in marketing, regarding a request for them to consider putting their product lines and colors on the RenoWorks software database, and as of yet, after 5-6 months wait, I have not even been given the token consideration of a follow up e-mail.

I am extremely pizzed off about that disregard to a loyal multi-year devotee of their products. Their probably will be changes being made in my preferred line of shingles due to their lack of contact.

Certainteed, Tamko, GAF/Elk, in that order are my 3 better quality shingles.

Then OC architecturals, but not any crap 3-tabs they sell.

Then, at the bottom of the barrel, IKO and anything else.

Ed
Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 PM   #14
APPLIED RIGHT

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 250

Ed,I thought you liked IKO?LOL
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #15
Pro

"Blasphemere"

Now, cut out your tongue.

Ed
Old 05-07-2008, 11:36 PM   #16
APPLIED RIGHT

What were the problem( s) that you've experienced with IK* ED?just curious because Roofmart is trying to win me over to deal there and all they carry are IK* and BRC?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:57 PM   #17
Pro

They are a Canadian manufacturer and back in the late 80's and early 90's they flooded the Chicago market with a bunch of defective materials.

Was that an intentional marketing maneuver to gain market share with substantially lower prices along with quality or is there product so cruddy in the first place?

I don't know and I don't care. I do not want to be one of their lab rats testing a product that has a poor reputation in these parts.

I will continue to stay away from there materials, period.

The BRC, I have only read about on the CHMS or CMHS site. Not sold aroud here ever that I am aware of.

Ed
Old 05-08-2008, 12:20 AM   #18
APPLIED RIGHT

I can see why you got turned off by them.I wouldn't deal with them after an experience like that either.Have you heard of Pabco?I've put on lots of those without a problem.I like certainteed but my supplier doesn't carry them.Would you stay loyal to your supplier or make a change?Take care and thanks ED.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:44 AM   #19
Pro

My primary relationship is with my supplier who has carried my credit during slow times, without any hesitation.

I would attempt to have them accomodate my material requests first, but would need to go elsewhere part time if they could not, without significant additional expenses.

I only hear about Pabco and except for the Class Action Lawsuit on the InspectNY website, I heard good things about them.

Maybe I did not remeber the information correctly. I did not find Class Action Info regarding them on the site:
http://www.inspect-ny.com/roof/RoofW....htm#companies

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 05-08-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:23 AM   #20
Roofer

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

We went through a lil spirt of IKO's here in my area also, and i had no problems with them, EXCEPT, for the commonly found 3/4" long fiberglas splinter .

Since celotex and john-mansville sold thier shingle departments and stopped selling 3-tabs, i can't think of any shingle i would refuse to sell.

I personaly start out with, GAF/ELK, Tamko, OC, Certainteed, etc.

Advertisement