Roofing Pros Does This Look Right? - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Roofing Pros Does This Look Right?

Old 06-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 6,214

Roofing Pros Does This Look Right?

Hey guys, I looked at a customers chimney today where it is believed moisture is coming through the chimney and was looking for some opinions.

customer had a roofer look at the area and he told them that the water is coming through the chimney which could be a possibility, so my plan is to clean the existing chimney and put a masonry water sealer on it which would help repel the driving rain from seeping into the chimney. Otherwise the chimney looks pretty solid, but I am concerned with this one area on the roof where they have a flat roof material that meets the shingles. The part where the shingles are does not have a lot of pitch and itís probably minimal pitch for shingles but i am suspecting this could be a trouble area as well

What are your thoughts? Does this look up to standards? Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Roofing Pros Does This Look Right?

Sorry for the crappy pictures, it was hard getting a decent picture with the sunlight peeking through the tree. There is a huge tree overhanging this chimney which is why it looks so dirty and nasty because of the tree sap leaking on the chimney

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,516

It's a cricket and if it diverts the water out to gutter without any issues it's nothing wrong with it.
slowsol (06-30-2018)

Old 06-30-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
Pro

I forgot to add the inside pictures

Old 06-30-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,467

It’s the flashing leaking, are those exposed fasteners? Forget about the section you mentioned and inspect the long step flashing, look under shingles for properly placed step flashing and pay special attention to the top of the flashing where it meets the mortar lines. Is it cut in? Is the sealant failing?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WBailey1041 For This Useful Post:
greg24k (06-30-2018), MarkJames (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 1,369

The outside corner with all the caulking looks like a weak spot. The bad thing about something like that is itís easy to get into a you touch it you buy it situation.
On that note I would tear it all off 2í away from the chimney and redo all of it.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #7
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Rewards Points: 11,844

You need to do around that whole thing.

The red indicates places I'm betting are leaking.

The blue area needs to have the cap eliminated and the flat material extending over the top course of shingles on that side.

The wall area should have been run up under the siding, it looks like it is on the outside?

Probably needs wood replacement. Trees are the worst thing to have right above a roof. I would recommend it be trimmed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A&E Exteriors For This Useful Post:
greg24k (07-01-2018), Jaws (07-01-2018), Rio (07-02-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 06:43 PM   #8
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Rewards Points: 11,844

I'd also wager the counter flashing is all leaking as well
The Following User Says Thank You to A&E Exteriors For This Useful Post:
greg24k (07-01-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 07:26 PM   #9
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,594

I see this all the time.... classic capillary action leak, huge chimney, wicked waterborne stains, no DPC tray more than likely and no attic space to displace moisture that gets by.

Short of a re-build with a proper pan to daylight, clean it, repair any deficiencies in the mortar, address any stone cracks with epoxy injection or replacement and seal with Prosoco weatherseal PD.

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
greg24k (07-01-2018), Rio (07-02-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 07:27 PM   #10
always building

Trade: general constructiion
Rewards Points: 2,224

maybe someone has been leaving one of those fancy little doors open??
The Following User Says Thank You to parkers5150 For This Useful Post:
Rio (07-02-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 1,634

I've seen one of those before, it's called a cluster fvck.
A&E Exteriors (06-30-2018), Jaws (07-01-2018), madrina (07-03-2018), SmallTownGuy (07-01-2018), sunkist (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 02:58 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,172

Really? so you are just at a loss for where the water is getting in? wow. sometimes you cant see the forest for the trees i guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
greg24k (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 06:20 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 1,634

To be fair, I couldn't say where it's getting in either. There are too many options.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Johnson View Post
To be fair, I couldn't say where it's getting in either. There are too many options.
touche, but there are some places id say have been overlooked. plenty of places I would have attempted to eliminate before seeking help.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #15
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 1,794

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrina View Post
touche, but there are some places id say have been overlooked. plenty of places I would have attempted to eliminate before seeking help.
Yeah, probably why the question was posted here. OP was anticipating somebody with vast experience willing to point out some of those "plenty of places".

I can type slower if that will help you.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #16
Pro

Oh he wants free professional advice? well, let me by all means...

First off, I think sealing that lueder is a waste of your time and their money.

Judging by the way the water is running down the fireplace and not so much on the ceiling, Id say the water is getting behind the flashing more so than it is coming in elsewhere and possibly running down a rafter. So I'd concentrate on the possibilities in reverse order and assume things were done correctly until proved otherwise. This keeps the labor to a minimum. Especially on an old roof like this that has a few tale-tell signs of less than great workmanship. You may create more problems by tearing stuff up and the problem can get big real quick, especially in that area around all that ridge.

Assuming there is step flashing, i'd start by seeing how deep that counterflashing is in the brick at the top. They nailed it in thru the middle for a reason and that reason might just be to hold it on the brick. Lueder is kind of a pain to counterflash due to its uneven surface, however, if they didnt sink that top lip into the brick far enough, when the sealant cracks, water will make its way in the cracks and behind the flashing and run down the stone just like its doing now. You could address that problem by running another bead of sealant across the top of the flashing and making sure you really get it in there good. If that solves the problem then great you have found the problem and can correct it by reinstalling that counter flashing because that bead of sealant you put on wont last very long.

It also looks like the corners were not done correctly either. but its hard to tell for all the pookie smeared on it. if the flashing meets at the corner, thats a problem. it should fold over the corner to the other side on top of the rising slope. so technically you could just take the corner piece on the level side off and reinstall a new one or two that covers the sloped side.

If neither of those fix the problem come back and we can start tearing that roof up together.
B.Johnson (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 02:57 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,756

Just knock down the whole house and build a new one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (07-01-2018), madrina (07-01-2018), SmallTownGuy (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #18
Pro

Thanks for all of the info and comments everyone

Here is a follow up to some of your comments, The homeowner has had three different contractors prior to me come out to look at it. Two roofing contractors and one general contractor, me (mason contractor) being the fourth person, And their general consensus is that it is leaking through the chimney which I am not 100% sure is the only problem. They purchased the house about four years ago and it is been an on and off problem ever since Theyíve owned it so they donít know how long this is been going on for prior to them buying it

I did a quick water test to check how porous the stone is by taking a garden hose and spraying the wall and will say that it is a pretty soft stone which absorbed a decent amount of water before it started running down the wall, so when they have a long hard driving rains I can see that being an issue of the moisture wicking completely through the masonry.

I have solved a lot of customers problems by water sealing, However water issues can be difficult to diagnose because where you see the water is not necessarily where itís coming in at or where the problem is. I have also had customers that spent literally thousands of dollars trying to correct a water problem that didnt work, because there were other issues that were not apparent. The house I grew up in had a similar issue where my parents had numerous roofers go up there and try different things to fix it however the leak would only happen every once in a while when you had a particular driving rain blowing the right way. So they would think that the problem was fixed until months later and all the sudden they got water again

Iím not a roofer and I donít install flashing however the flashing looks like itís in good condition. It has been touched up numerous times with different products obviously by others that have been up there but it all looks relatively solid to me. Of course the counter flashing underneath I canít see so itís tough for me to comment on that. I just know with all of the different ridges, pitches, valleys and Funky stuff going on that roof water intrusion is inevitable going to happen.

Other than that the actual masonry looks really good to me. I donít see any cracks anywhere and that massive concrete cap is solid.

I Already explained to the customers that Iím not sure if the water sealing will completely fix their problem so I was just trying to get all of your opinions to see if anything looked out of place to any of you

Thanks again and As frustrated as these homeowners are Iím sure they would love to tear the house down and rebuild it. However it is kind of a cool house that was built in the 50s and has a really neat 50s\60s open floor plan to it and it sits right on the fox river in st Charles Illinois and I believe it is designated historic so they would have to go through Congress to change anything...haha

Last edited by Windycity; 07-01-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:50 PM   #19
Pro

askhole: someone who ask for advice and then doesnt take it.

I am a roofer and I promise you that water is not soaking that stone to the point of it running down the wall. If it did soak the stone it would continue to soak the stone at the same rate along the entire stone wall. but what you have is water drip marks meaning that the water is getting behind the counterflashing (thats the flashing you see) and its also running behind the step flashing (the flashing underneath) and dripping into the house where the decking is not flush with the stone. The flashing is not in good shape. look again. I see cracks all along the caulk line and that corner is fubar. But dont take my advice. Its not like I have ever had that same problem. Ive only been roofing for 15 years. What do I know.
A&E Exteriors (07-01-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 07:10 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,756

What is that wood thing with the black pipe poking out?

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
Rio (07-02-2018)